Inching ever closer to release, Doors CS has made it to Release Candidate 2 status. Here's a specific list of new fixes since the last release, Doors CS 6.0 RC1:

Resolved CALCnet2's predilection to crash on real calculators
Resolved the GUI error handler for insufficient RAM
Finished resolving the homescreen retention issue
Made Doors CS aware of the correct handling for MOS hidden programs
Finished completely debugging Tari's alpha sorting routine
Resolved the speed issue reported in RC1
GUIfied the Archiving... junk

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for: the download link and gratuitous screenshots! Please please report all bugs and issues in the associated topic (just click Discuss). Enjoy.

Download
Doors CS 6.0 Release Candidate 2

Will DCS one day have that feature like CruncyOS has where instead of saving data written back to a program back to that program, it saves it to an AppVar or something so that there is hardly any garbage collection messages - 'specially after playing those big games like Desolate and Wolfenstine?

That would also be a nice feature because the program doesn't get modified (AFAIK) so you always have the original copy, and if some bad data got written back to itself, like has happened to me once and the game kept crashing, all you'd have to do to fix it would be to delete the AppVar, and boom -- it works again.

Also, will it copy programs to RAM rather than unarchving 'cause I still keep losing games when it does this and there's a crash in the middle of the game... Sad

BTW, I'm still getting that Archive Error after playing games that are archived... I will go get a screenshot after school...
_runProg?

excellent work though, I can't wait to see this uberness.

[edit]

the link screen now crashes on the emulator when Calcnet is enabled, works fine on hardware.

also, it seems pressing On no longer works to shut off the calc Sad

[edit2]
the homescreen now seems to get filled with little black boxes instead of blank spaces. also, the basic programs seem to return to the homescreen, not the shell.
[edit3]
I turned on my calc and got a low battery message, nonetheless DCS displayed a full strength battery bar....

[edit4]
hmm, not all basic programs, but I can't post the source to the one that can, cause SourceCoder wont let me revert to view, and leaves evil little indent bars in when you go to edit.
[edit5]
well, it gives me the XPI link anyway....

http://www.cemetech.net/projects/basicelite/sourcecoder2.php?xpi=67786a3cedbb7bc92c26501231f844a0
@Demon: yes, it copies, it doesn't unarchive.

>>Link screen crash - non-replicable
>> Off no longer working with Cn2 enabled - fixed; see http://dcs.cemetech.net
>> Both of these non-replicable
>> Low battery message: what calculator model?

I find the one about the BASIC programs the most worrying right now; the others are basically trivial.
KermMartian wrote:

>>Link screen crash - non-replicable
>> Off no longer working with Cn2 enabled - fixed; see http://dcs.cemetech.net
>> Both of these non-replicable
>> Low battery message: what calculator model?

I find the one about the BASIC programs the most worrying right now; the others are basically trivial.

The battery meter was on the 84+SE

the source to the one that was causing problems with Basic is posted on the XPI link above, although for some reason SourceCoder isn't handling it properly.....

and have you done runProg yet?
or overwrite ability for SaveAs?
and can the GUIMouse hook access the location of the mouse?
Battery - ok, sounds good
BASIC - what are those wacky symbols supposed to be?
runProg - that's not going to be a component until 6.1
overwrite - ditto
GUIMouse - yes, that I did. (http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=GUIMouse)

New features don't get added at the RC stage; this is all bugfixes.
KermMartian wrote:
Battery - ok, sounds good
BASIC - what are those wacky symbols supposed to be?
runProg - that's not going to be a component until 6.1
overwrite - ditto
GUIMouse - yes, that I did. (http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=GUIMouse)

New features don't get added at the RC stage; this is all bugfixes.

Xmin, etc.
OK, I got it to do the blocks thing; I know how to resolve that. I still haven't gotten it to quit to the homescreen yet though.
KermMartian wrote:
OK, I got it to do the blocks thing; I know how to resolve that. I still haven't gotten it to quit to the homescreen yet though.

wierd, maybe I just held clear down or something Shock

how does DCS react to Stop commands? (it crashes MOS...)
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

wierd, maybe I just held clear down or something Shock

how does DCS react to Stop commands? (it crashes MOS...)
I finagled it enough that it will quit cleanly to the homescreen without crashing in most cases.
KermMartian wrote:
I finagled it enough that it will quit cleanly to the homescreen without crashing in most cases.

yayz. thats helpful.
KermMartian wrote:

Well, I tried playing Astroids. Archived and locked. When I exited, it said "Archive Error" and then DCS froze up, then crashed. When I looked, Astroids was gone. So I uploaded Astroids back to the calc and tried Evil Maze - also Archived and locked. That game gave me "Archive Error" after exiting, too, and when I looked back in the program list, MAZEEVIL was unarchived. Tried it with Mario. Same error. Still ended up unarchived...
Kerm lies, DCS does unarchive (at least to do the writebacks)
I don't see why it would need to be unarchived to write back... It could just get deleted and the new one archived. I guess if there's not enough memory for that it errors and stays unarchived, but I don't think Kerm literally unarchives it.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Kerm lies, DCS does unarchive (at least to do the writebacks)
No, you're completely wrong. It never unarchives. As Calc84 said, it deletes, renames the temporary program, then archives that.
Here's an idea:
I'll just call the temp program Temp since I forgot what it really is.
This will be after executing program GAME.

1- Switch the data pointers in the VAT entries for Temp and GAME.
2- Archive GAME
3- Delete Temp

This will keep the real one archived until the other one is successfully archived, which will help with errors/crashes.
Razz That's already exactly how it does it. Razz
I need more info on Demon's problem: calculator model, amount of RAM free, amount of ROM free.
I just realized that I have yet to test the memory loss problem pokemon purple had... <.< Will do a double check on that tonight, if I remember to.
tifreak8x wrote:
I just realized that I have yet to test the memory loss problem pokemon purple had... <.< Will do a double check on that tonight, if I remember to.
Cool deal. It's pretty much complete pending Demon's response and my finishing DocDE6.
KermMartian wrote:
As Calc84 said, it deletes, renames the temporary program, then archives that.

You should still add the option to have it save the writebacks to an appvar like crunchyOS

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours