So yesterday I was walking around and I had a little idea. I've noticed that people have taken to posting the same topics on many of the TI community sites simultaneously, and I was inspired to think that there must be an easier way. I don't know how useful this would be for the general public, but I've already made PHP code to login in and post on phpBB or Invision, so I was thinking of a service that would allow you to save multiple usernames and passwords for various sites, enter a single post, then select forums and subfora to post it in. I just had the idea that a time-delay feature could be added, such that you could set a post to be posted at a certain date and time in the future without you having to be by a computer.
Seems like an interesting idea...
tifreak8x wrote:
Seems like an interesting idea...
Would you think it worthwhile enough to build? Do you think people would actually use it?
Well, I think there would be alot of work involved in it... I would use it to post updates. The only thing is, it would have to be able to find existing topics, start new ones, etc...
That could be done using bots. There are so much that get on forums lately, so why couldn't that program do the same? Or just auto-log on that forum and make a bot pass for you.

Or bring everything of each forum in some unique database.

The interest depends on who you are targetting. Forum beginners (low postcount, not bad at programming) stay stuck on their same forum. Advanced forum users/Admins travel through forums.
Don't get me wrong, I already have code that can handle phpBB and IF/IPB boards, log in, and add a post or topic. I guess I'd be targeting more advanced users then.
do it in python not php, having to use a webinterface for this could be annoying...and people have a dislike of sending passwords from one site to another site...just me $.02.
Meh, I prefer webapps to decentralized client apps so much... we'll see.
KermMartian wrote:
that would allow you to save multiple usernames and passwords for various sites, enter a single post, then select forums and subfora to post it in.

Commonly referred to as a 'spam bot' Very Happy

Though it does seem interesting, not many would have a use for it. It would be nice for things like contests and site updates, though.
well, it would be nice to see, but what about when Rivereye CMS is done, will you add compatibility for that at all?
KermMartian wrote:

so that you can log all of our passwords to other sites? I think not. I agree with elf here, this is definitely NOT something that should be a webapp
true to that (or you could release the code so we can have our own web app that will do it).
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

so that you can log all of our passwords to other sites? I think not. I agree with elf here, this is definitely NOT something that should be a webapp
Hehe... hehehe... no, but seriously, fair enough. I somehow that I should provide an API of some kind though, like a non-logging:

posttoforum.php?username=****&password=****&subject=****&text=****

Which would then prompt for which subforum and topic (new or existing) and carry out the post.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours