Why does DoorsCS create 2 app variables? They're both about the same size, couldn't they be combined into 1?
If you look carefully, you'll see that one is archived and one is not. The one called "DCS6b" is a backup copy of "DCS6". If your RAM clears for some reason, Doors CS copies DCS6b into DCS6 to restore your preferences. Makes sense?
Couldn't you have act the same way the Mirage OS app var does (archived until used)?
That causes memory degeneration if it unarchives and rearchives everytime.

It is small, but it helps Wink
Calc Buffoon wrote:
Couldn't you have act the same way the Mirage OS app var does (archived until used)?

and when MOS is running it is unarchived. What if a RAM clear happened then? Smile

For those barely-fit programs that need every scrap of RAM, it would be nice if DCS would notice that (by maybe checking the program size before running it) and then archive its settings variable before running the program...
C'mon, it's 60 bytes. The code to autodetect etc would take more than that, not to mention it would royally screw up parts of the GUI routines to have that archived.
I've tried running mirage OS, then reseting it by running a faulty program. Then when I checked my memory (or, my calculator's memory) the MirageOS app var is still their, archived.
KermMartian wrote:
C'mon, it's 60 bytes. The code to autodetect etc would take more than that, not to mention it would royally screw up parts of the GUI routines to have that archived.

No, not to have it archived all the time, rather

user launches program
DCS checks program size
IF available RAM < Program Size
If available RAM + 60 > Program Size
archive
run program
unarchive
Calc Buffoon wrote:
I've tried running mirage OS, then reseting it by running a faulty program. Then when I checked my memory (or, my calculator's memory) the MirageOS app var is still their, archived.
Yes, but Doors CS works differently. It uses the AppVar as a sort of ubersafe RAM for long-term, shall we say, "environment variables."

Edit: @Kllrnohj: yes, and a program using the GUI routines would crash and burn.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours