This weekend was the first time Cemetech has come under heavy load from the so-called Digg Effect (similar to its cousin, the Slashdot Effect). While we previously felt some slight load from Portable GIMP - Put The GIMP on a usb thumb drive, it only reached 304 diggs, not the 700+ the Pokemon Purple article has jumped to. The previous record of 42 simultaneous users, set when Portable GIMP was announced, has been completely shattered by 380 people checking out Pokemon Purple at the same time. The real story of the whole debacle can be told with bandwidth numbers. Before December 15th, Cemetech was averaging between 115 MB and 125 MB transferred per day. Once the digg effect kicked in, Cemetech was bombarded with 3,52 GB of outbound transfers in the 24 hours of December 15th, with another 796.87 MB transferred on the 16th of December. If the Digg Effect had been spread out over all of December 15th, the average load would have been a sustained 350 kbps outbound from the server; since the effect didn't kick in under the middle of the day, load probably peaked somewhere well over 1 mbps. We at Cemetech hope digg gives us the opportunity for further load-testing in the near future.
Hm... I think you forgot to mention along the lines somewhere, but...

TI-Freakware was totally wiped out within a 5 hour period, after having taken the brunt of the wave of over 3 GB in bandwidth from hosting the pictures. I know this because I had logged in at 8:30, Indiana time, and had only used 830 MB of monthly bandwidth. At approximately 1:30 later that day, I make an attempt to load TI-Freakware, and it was gone, due to bandwidth over draw. This of course, has forced TI-Freakware to get new domain hosting, so incase this might ever happen again, we will be ready. Smile
yes, fairly bad that it caused tifreakware to have to move, but all should be good again. Tifreak, if you go over your bandwidth again, you need to figure out what the issue is then.
/me likes his forums to load quickly :p

on a side note this is also good for rivereye studios which now has better hosting than my 333Mhz P2 can provide over a DSL line....
elf, that was a place for people to see progress on my CMS project, I was going to move to better when I was ready to release (but then this whole thing happened, and decided I would take advantage (with tifreak8x's permission of course))
Ah yes, I didn't mention the effect on TIFW. Smile Good call there, Dan.
Well, it seems that pokemon purple got a bit of a boost on ticalc as well, my author stats shows that I am ranked 92 for the week, and pokemon purple has recieved 116 downloads for the week. Smile

It also has seemingly bumped my rank by one, I am now ranked as 388 of all time most downloaded.
Very Happy Excellent! Glad to hear that it helped your author stats a bit (maybe)? Wink
Very Happy my star wars phoenix mod certainly bumped my stats, up a 20 for the week.
elfprince13 wrote:
Very Happy my star wars phoenix mod certainly bumped my stats, up a 20 for the week.
Do you mean up 20 downloads, up 20 places, or at 20th most downloaded for the week?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Very Happy my star wars phoenix mod certainly bumped my stats, up at 20 for the week.
Do you mean up 20 downloads, up 20 places, or at 20th most downloaded for the week?

typoed. 20th most downloaded for the week

<ot>this school keyboard suxx0rz</ot>
That makes much more sense. And yes, school keyboards tend to be subpar in quality.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours