Ahoy, all thee weblubbers who art among them too lazy to click links, arrrr. Matey, Cemetech now supports arguably one of the coolest additions to the new Firefox 2.0: microsummaries. These tiny links act like customized, single-item RSS feeds, showing a line of text customized in near-real-time instead of a static title for bookmarks. The new Cemetech microsummaries display the number of new posts since your last visit if you're offline, or "Cemetech|Online" if you're online at Cemetech. I'm open to any suggestions on improvements or changes. Without further ado, instructions!

1. Go to the Cemetech page you want to bookmark, such as the homepage, http://www.cemetech.net
2. Click Bookmarks, then Bookmark this Page.
3. Click the down arrow to the right of "Cemetech | Home" (or whatever the title of the page you're on is) and instead choose "Cemetech | Online". Done!

I'm not yet sure what the default update speed is, but I believe it may be a bit too slow. The script of the serverside is optimized to be extremely low bandwidth, so if there's a way, I may customize it to update more frequently. Remember, feedback!
This reminds me, why don't you apply to become an RSS feed for Gmail? I'd like to get any updates right in my inbox. Gmail has a built-in RSS Syndicator, but I can't specify links, they have to be submitted by google =/
Oh, really? I'm too lazy to find out how myself; got a link?
I'll look around. Here's my review of Gmail.
Have you tried this?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=29245 wrote:

How do I add custom feeds to 'Web Clips'?
Add your favorite RSS (Really Simple Syndication) and Atom feeds to your Gmail account using Gmail Clips. Here's how:

1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
3. Open the Web Clips tab.
4. Enter the feed URL you'd like to view in the field under Search by topic or URL.
5. Click Search.
6. Once Gmail locates the feed, click Add so you can view it in Web Clips!
It looks to me as if you can search by URL...
Confused Uh, I thought that was only for the URL of feeds they support. My bad =X. Thanks. I'll try it out mate.

EDIT: Ah! I never would of known! Becuase it says search, instead of 'Add' or 'go' so I got confused >.<
yeah, it is odd. I have had the cemetech news thing in GMail for a while now.
rivereye wrote:
yeah, it is odd. I have had the cemetech news thing in GMail for a while now.
And I have the feed on my personalized Google Homepage, so I know it's possible. I seem to recall the phrasing confusing me as well.
Oh, yah, the google homepage. I'll have to add a new tab to my page! Making a total of 5!

Anyone see this new feature?

Cusotm Search Engine on Google!
Looks cool, somekanal. Not really sure if I have need for it, though.
yah. I don't get the concept either. We're off subject anyways =X

Laughing
We are indeed off-subject. How many people have tried it out so far? I have it running in my toolbar, and I must say that I rather like the usefulness of it. Unfortunately, I'm almost always on Cemetech anyway, so it's a bit superfluous in my case.
XD I've tried it on my site, exept I have a robots.txt file blocking every bot from viewing the contents of my site, quite useless =/ XD I don't think it'll be one of those things where I use everyday, like Docs & Speadshseets.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
XD I've tried it on my site, exept I have a robots.txt file blocking every bot from viewing the contents of my site, quite useless =/ XD I don't think it'll be one of those things where I use everyday, like Docs & Speadshseets.
...what are you talking about? Microsummaries don't require any spiders to view your site. Did you even try it?
my bad, thought you were talking about the custom search engine >.<
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
my bad, thought you were talking about the custom search engine >.<
Ah, you're right, I didn't make it clear that I was trying to get the topic back on topic.

Regarding the Cemetech microsummaries: has anyone other than Thermoman and me tried them yet?
I'd LOVE to, but theres no update out for the mac. Maybe this weekend I'll boot up the grandpa and try it out. After all, my PS2 got moved next to my computer =P

Grandpa is just a metaphor people, its replacing old, beat up computer.
There certainly is an update out for mac! http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
I suppose you want this one: http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0&os=osx&lang=en-US
oooh... I usually get forwarded to a page saying theres a new update, so I didn't bother to check. I'll check before saying something like that again Wink
Same here, it seems to not trigger the auto-update feature for major version changes. I too was wondering why I hadn't been alerted to 2.0.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours