KermMartian wrote:
And although you only pointed out where FreeBSD has the advantage, using the stack also has its own advantages for passing arguments.

Such as when you need to pass something that either won't fit into a register, or you need to pass more arguments that there are number of registers Smile
Precisely. In fact, that would seem superior to me. Razz
Well, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Like Raydan said, it IS slightly faster.. but not by any measurable degree, thats for sure
i only have explain the differences between linux and unix systems when we compile a program about GPU i have said & continue saying they aren't programmable because that will slow the process of comunications... between the CPU and the GPU as it will acesses to ram under the CPU...
Seems that me that the GPU has to go through the Southbridge to the Northbridge to the RAM; the CPU also has to go through the Northbridge to access RAM. Check out this diagram from wikipedia, which agrees with me:
In fact, the situation I described is only valid for PCI video cards. IF you have an AGP video card, then it's at most a simple forward through the Northbridge to the RAM.
You all seem to be forgetting that DirectX 9.0C cards that are fully programmable have their OWN RAM to use - often between 128mb and 512mb - more than enough to run several simple programs. No need to use system RAM at all Rolling Eyes

And raydan, if you say that video cards aren't fully programmable, then you are arguing against fact, and that just makes you a ignorant. Why in the world would we believe anything you say when you are denying FACT? Not to mention, IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE!!!

And I'm not sure how you can claim that making fully programmable video cards will slow everything down - that doesn't make any sense whatsoever
Ah yes, ever heard of onboard video RAM? Good call, Kllrnohj. Razz
you can understand how graphic cards work in here and about access ram that is in case if yor video card is only 16 32 or 64 and the game needs more ram
check this link and you will see that directx doesn't even execute on GPU it is all executed on CPU then CPU send's what he wants to make to the video card and the video card process it the ram of the video card is for quality of image and post processing and everything that have to deal with graphics for a resolution of 1024X768X32 we need 3MB only for the image and we are forgetting that it needs to create eatch structure then there comes the rest of the image for being processed

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/graphics-card.htm
Note how I said DirectX9c <- specific version requirements. It is a new feature that is part of SM2.0 that allows for UNLIMITED PROGRAMMABLE SHADERS - which can, in turn, be used to execute just about anything, not just being used as a shader. Look at ATi and nVidia - both are pushing for on-GPU physics processing. How do you propose that such a thing is possible without being able to have a fully programmable GPU?

Oh, and howstuffworks isn't exactly an indepth or technical site Rolling Eyes
althouth you could program the main CPU of the system theres no way that you could do programming on the GPU the shaders is feature but that is controled by the CPU itself with directx i'm not saying that GPU's cann't be programmed because they are at factory time when they insert the bootcode... and other things... what you do when you call some feature of the directx it will deal with the GPU all the required inforamation in order for the GPU execute that part of code that it translates then to an image...
DirectX isn't the only way to interact with a GPU (or have you forgotten the other biggie, OpenGL? Rolling Eyes ) DirectX doesn't do anything besides act as a bridge between the CPU/Drivers and the video card. It is fully possible to use this bridge to deliver program code to run on the GPU

A programmer IS able to program it. If you refuse to accept this, just slap a big giant "N00B" sticker to your forhead and I'll be fine with it. Otherwise, pull your head out of your butt and accept fact.

For example, here is Folding@Home on an ATI GPU, which you claim is impossible, although it most obviously is very possible, and like I have been telling you, it HAS been done

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

Also read this for its brief history of DirectX http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0NSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0 and oh! what do we have here...

Quote:
For example if the graphics chipset (we don’t call fixed function graphics processors GPUs because they aren’t programmable) didn’t support dot3 product bump mapping then there is no way the developer could use that effect in their game. With the programmable graphics processor everything changed. The game content developer could now make any effect they wanted. However, in younger DirectX versions there were limitations to the number of constants, registers and program lengths they could use. DirectX 8 and 8.1 introduced us to “GPUs” (Graphics Processing Units) and contained Shader Model 1.1-1.3 (DX8.1 had SM 1.4). Shader Model simply referred to the features and flexibility of the programmable nature of the API.

AND

Quote:
With DirectX 9.0c came the enablement of Shader Model 3.0. This newer version meant virtually unlimited program lengths and possibilities only imagined before on a GPU.

As you can see, a programmable GPU has been around for quite some time now, with DirectX 9.0c allowing for entire programs to run solely on the GPU with its near-unlimited program length

So let me give you some advice. Just admit you are wrong and get over it, because every post you make that contradicts fact just brings in to question any of your other posts and/or your programming abilities
So read this and understood for one big time in your life
http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55300884
and about the noob boy i wouldn't go tru that side if you try to insist it i get you blocked for two weeks... i have your MAC ADDRESS... it's not need to say that i'm a moderator or is....
ok, that post made no sense at all. First of all, where are you moderator, because I know it is not here, and if you were, you couldn't ban someone here. Second of all, I haven't seen one piece of web software that can ban by MAC Adresss, only by IP address. Also, a MAC is easy to change, just get a new card/modem, shock.
rayden wrote:
and about the noob boy i wouldn't go tru that side if you try to insist it i get you blocked for two weeks... i have your MAC ADDRESS... it's not need to say that i'm a moderator or is....

I think he was trying to tell "noob boy" not to go to that site.
maybe, but I think someone needs to take an english refresher course (yes, I realize it is not his native tounge, but the same thing for xlibman, and his are 85% correct (and that is a low estimate)).
rivereye wrote:
maybe, but I think someone needs to take an english refresher course (yes, I realize it is not his native tounge, but the same thing for xlibman, and his are 85% correct (and that is a low estimate)).

speaking of which..... Wink
yeah, I know, but at least you all know what I am saying, all I know about his is that it was a threat.

I know I have to work on the spelling issue.
rayden wrote:

You didn't perchance notice that that article is outdated by 2 YEARS? *ring, ring* - hear that? Its 2004 calling, they want their technology back Rolling Eyes

But then again I'm unsure why you posted that link at all, as it is SUPPORTING me and OPPOSING you. Thanks! You just posted more info FOR programs running solely on the GPU, which you keep insisting is impossible.

So please, go ahead, ban me from nowhere by my MAC address - what a threat! Boy oh boy, I sure hope I can't change that... (Oh hey! Lookie there! Its fully editable in my BIOS, imagine that Razz )
Are you sure what is your Mac address if i have your mac i know where you live your have your profession and the hell i coul d even know your IP
by scanning for your mac, imagine this boy i could even fake mine and get you jailed for that.... do not put with me and if you keep saying tha i'm the noob go to here www.bright-shadows.net and search for rayden5 and you will notice that is a page of hack knowledge not for noobs like you all..................................... You TALK TOO MUTCH BUT WHEN COMES TO KNOWLEDGE YOU DO NOT HAVE NONE
Uhhh, you sound like a noob. How could you possibly get his profession from his Media Access Control address? Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours