anyway, as some of you remember I have a rather large number of programs on my calc, so many in fact that the VAT entries alone take up a significant portion of RAM thus making gemini unplayable in DCS (77 bye appvar takes up too much RAM)... anyway through some rather judicious grouping of programs that dont record high scores I managed to get just enough free RAM to play Gemini from DCS. I made it to level 2 and saved at the save screen at the end of the first level. After starting the second level I quit the program and after a rather longish pause I got a 506 Basic execution error from DCS at which point it quit back to the desktop and forgot to rearchive Gemini.
506 is guess what? Archive error. That means insufficient free RAM. Smile Doors CS didn't "forget" - it failed while trying to archive because there wasn't enough RAM free for the TI-OS to do the necessary swapping.
KermMartian wrote:
506 is guess what? Archive error. That means insufficient free RAM. Smile Doors CS didn't "forget" - it failed while trying to archive because there wasn't enough RAM free for the TI-OS to do the necessary swapping.

then why does it say its a Basic Execution Error?
elfprince13 wrote:
anyway, as some of you remember I have a rather large number of programs on my calc, so many in fact that the VAT entries alone take up a significant portion of RAM thus making gemini unplayable in DCS (77 bye appvar takes up too much RAM)... anyway through some rather judicious grouping of programs that dont record high scores I managed to get just enough free RAM to play Gemini from DCS. I made it to level 2 and saved at the save screen at the end of the first level. After starting the second level I quit the program and after a rather longish pause I got a 506 Basic execution error from DCS at which point it quit back to the desktop and forgot to rearchive Gemini.

The EXACT same thing happened to me (minus the group files; i don't have many programs). I quit at the very begining of level 2 and it gave me the BASIC execution error.
506 isn't a basic execution error... I dunno why it would have told you that. I'd better double-check something. Anyway, the number is always more reliable than the error message: it's encountering a problem trying to archive. I'll test it out myself and see what I can come up with. Would one of you add it to the wiki, please?
here's the next bug Ive found. I was playing joltima with it unarchived. after I quit I went to play Firetrack2 (which was archived) and got a TI-OS memory error which then quit to the homescreen where the DCS 506 error screen showed up in the background. I pressed clear, and a bunch of garbage showed up on the screen. I went to the memory menu to reset and I could see the menu, but the homescreen cursor was still blinking in the background and I couldn't do anything other than toggle alpha and 2nd. when I turned the calculator off and on I got some garbage on the homescreen but after I pressed clear it was fine again.

[edit]

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Active_Bug_A0008
kk, I'll investigate. Stack and interrupt problems suspected.
KermMartian wrote:
kk, I'll investigate. Stack and interrupt problems suspected.

twas the wierdest thing Ive ever seen on a calc...
I'll just add an EnoughMem check into the two swaploaders and hope that prevents this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours