I was wondering what I would use to make simple 2d games (just to test - later there is a simple game I want to make for a friend). Would wxwidgets do this? If not, what would (do I just use directX or opengl even for 2d graphics?)

By simple I mean like move a stick figure from point A to point B (where you click your mouse, heck, even just showing a stick figure on the screen Smile ) or something like that.

P.S. Any tutorials would be appreciated
The Games Factory
No. Thanks for trying, but I mean actual tutorials for programming it myself. I went to a tech camp last year and we used Multimedia fusion (almost exact same thing, by the same people). I was extremely disappointed. Not only was the engine buggy (things that are off screen are paused - if enemy goes off screen while shooting and you go on screen a bit later, all of the bullets come at you at once Evil or Very Mad --- also, the characters would always get snagged on stuff >.<), but it did not actually have *that* much expandability (as in you can only do so much with a premade thing without coding in new stuff -- I know you can add custom objects too)
Okay...do you want to make a PC game or a console game?
Just a simple pc game, I really just want to try to get to a point where I can make simple graphics and then work from there.
While you CAN do it in wxWidgets, I strongly encourage you to NOT do it in wxWidgets. Also, DirectX and OpenGL would be overkill, and rather hard to learn.

That leaves you with pretty much one choice: SDL. For 2d, just get python and the pyGame module. Otherwise you CAN do it in C++ or similar, but it'll take longer and be harder.
Kllrnohj wrote:
While you CAN do it in wxWidgets, I strongly encourage you to NOT do it in wxWidgets. Also, DirectX and OpenGL would be overkill, and rather hard to learn.

That leaves you with pretty much one choice: SDL. For 2d, just get python and the pyGame module. Otherwise you CAN do it in C++ or similar, but it'll take longer and be harder.

Ok, thanks, but any good/simple tutorials that you know of?

http://www.pygame.org/ - look to the left, see the big giant "TUTORIALS" link in the nav box? Razz
I meant SDL Very Happy
pygame is python SDL bindings Rolling Eyes

But fine:

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php - see the big "TUTORIALS" link on the left in the navbox? Razz
Psshhh.... C++ or Python would be over kill. What you need is QuickBASIC. It has built in drawing functions. Good Idea
Laughing Really I am trying to work up to a base for future c++ things Razz
You could use Irrlicht ( http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ ) - its supposed to have some good 2d drawing as well as 3d - and its crossplatform...

I do, however, recommend just using python and pygame first
The Torque 2D engine is supposed to be fairly good, and it's modifiable C++ code.
KermMartian wrote:
The Torque 2D engine is supposed to be fairly good, and it's modifiable C++ code.

But it costs $$$ - I'd stick with free (and good Laughing ) alternatives for now....
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

But it costs $$$ - I'd stick with free (and good 0x5 ) alternatives for now....
I believe the Indie license for 2D may be a mere $50, while the 3D Indie license is about $100.
KermMartian wrote:
I believe the Indie license for 2D may be a mere $50, while the 3D Indie license is about $100.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/96 Nope, still $100 Smile
Quote:
What you need is QuickBASIC.

Do people even use that anymore?
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:
What you need is QuickBASIC.

Do people even use that anymore?
sure. It was invaluable for parallel port control for an electronics project of mine...
Only cause you are too much of a n00b to use C Razz (I'm kidding! sort of.... Wink )

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours