Yeah, my dad insists I have nortons antivirus always running. Notrons is a piece of crap. It is a BIG memory hog. On my pc, it usually takes about 100mb of memory.
I hate norton so much. One of the computers I use at work is fairly old, and the startup scan makes it essentially unuseable for about 30 minutes after boot.
rayden wrote:
well about you i don't know but if it's slow why do you don't try to change your video driver as if the scripts are compile the more fast it will display...
i have an CPU 2.4 GHz intel
FreeBsd 6.2 alpha test only for developers
an asus p4p800 motherboard
with 512MB of ram and 80GB of slice
and an nvidia video card MX440 with 128MB of ram
an i play doom 3 i my computer with atmost 93FPS, only because i have the nvidia driver, that's the same of saying some script's part's are compiled....

Doom3 uses heavy amounts of scripting (non-compiled), so that was a poor example to push for compiled scripts Wink Besides, a max FPS of 93 doesn't mean anything if your min is 5 and your average is 30 Rolling Eyes What quality are you running that at anyway? 640x480 w/ everything low/off?
nop 1024x768 with 85hz of actualization my video card makes really noise when i play doom3 because of the fast screen actualization... and there are other things that freebsd differs from linux i'm using an UFS FFS2 whitch is for now considered the most fast filesystem... because it accsses to the disk in syncroned way but as in assyncroned way... the low ram usage is another aspect having 0bit of swapp used is another... i could go old day talking about the improvments that freebsd... well linux is slow and if people go throught the idea of not upgrading their ext2 and ext3 it will continue slow about ram there's another problem that they will face... Freebsd6.1 have runned in a 386 with low ram and disk size... i think linux programmers should do something about that i have already contributed to them once when i upgrade their multithread routines but they don'c cout with me now because now i'm involved on IPV6 and FTP(fast transfer protocol)
The filesystem is completely irrelevant, as its all loaded to RAM. The kernel is also largely irrelevant, as it isn't being used for anything. OpenGL and ALSA are the two biggest external components of Doom3 (In a non-windows sytem, I mean. In windows it will be OpenGL and EAX or the Win32 direct sound API). You will get [near] identical framerates if you run Doom3 on FreeBSD, Linux, etc... Although Windows (and maybe Mac) will have higher framerates, due to better graphics drivers with more optimizations.

Also, the refresh rate (which you are calling "actualization" - you are either making stuff up or don't speak English too well) is irrelevant, as a higher refresh rate doesn't take any extra GPU or CPU power - it is solely the monitor. It ALSO won't make your video card any louder, as the only part on there making noise is the fan, which is either a set speed or thermally controlled. Neither of which is affected by refresh rate.

And you still didn't say what quality, just the resolution. I can run Doom3 at 1600x1200 w/ everything maxed, 16xAF and 2xAA - beat that
Kllrnohj wrote:
...Also, the refresh rate (which you are calling "actualization" - you are either making stuff up or don't speak English too well)...
He's Portugese; English isn't his first language if I remember correctly.
Yeah, thats what I thought, which is why I threw in that English part. Otherwise I would have just called him a moron for making stuff up Evil or Very Mad
you are forgetting that games access to the disk because i will not put doom3 even the demo on all my ram it doesn't fitts about the quality of image is 1024x768x32 with 24 pipes and having the code on ram is not all the way linux uses a lot the swap and freebsd in some cases don't even toutch in it... another thing if you have noticed my driver is an nvidia witch i installed the closed source binarie package the routines have been compiled directly for freebsd witch gives great optimization... Another story is that freebsd have betten the windows in framerates on 64 platform.... my sound card is compiled i have eveything that a game uses compiles i have few scripts in my system... even the xorg.conf is compiled
about the monitor is not the fan is really the moniutor or video card that are making a background noise... well thats maybe because the "refreshrate"
That's interesting, it beats Windows on 64-bit platforms but not 32-bit platforms? Crazy.
KermMartian wrote:
That's interesting, it beats Windows on 64-bit platforms but not 32-bit platforms? Crazy.

It doesn't Wink Windows 32bit > Windows 64bit (for now - beta drivers and all) > everything else (Note: This is ONLY in terms of gaming speed!) You can rest assurd nVidia and ATI (er... AMD) are spending alot more funds and development time for windows 64bit drivers than unix/linux/BSD 64bit drivers Laughing

As for loading to RAM - you DO know that not everything in the doom3 folder is needed at all times, right? Hence the whole, "load times" thing between levels Rolling Eyes Also, the filesystem is irrelevant, as it is all in large zip archives, not a bunch of smaller ones. So aside from major fragmentation, it is just reading sequential data off the harddrive, not looking for files or anything of that sorts where the filesystem would be involved. But that is still dodging the point of the harddrive is crazy slow regardless of the filesystems. All critical data (sound, textures, models, the level, scripts, etc...) are all loaded into RAM for Doom3. Some games swap out data on the fly, loading and unloading sections of the game at different times, but again, this won't have any affect on your FPS as it is never loading anything needed RIGHT THEN.
Hmm, good to know about the first part. Already was aware about the second part. Smile
well if you use NTFS that's the same of saying sincroned acssess to the disk this and as you confirm it have to load the files not all at the same time but as needed and sincroned acssess to the disk is a litle slow "NVIDIA IS WORKING WITH US BY QUITE A WHILE IN THEIR DRIVERS if you check they are upgrade very quickly" while freebsd uses assincroned and sincroned acssess to the disk and note freebsd does this at the same time it doens't have the disks unsinsed and then it will sinced them to change the acssess type... this brings speed on acssess but that's not all i have another special option that reduces the screen aperture size as needed, about the opengl stuff it's changed for an optimized one, if you have freebsd try to install NVIDIA drivers you will see the speed that the system will gain with OpenGL.... remenber that freebsd only uses swap if necessary, another thing is ram freebsd uses low ram that increases the space available for the game and as freebsd uses UFSFFS3 this filesystem load's data to the ram like an prefetch way that's why its fast. well my english is not realy very good... well another thing is freebsd really beats windows on 64 bits because freebsd is developed and then there are some
people that optimizes the code when i say optimize is really optimize if needed we change the C or C++ code and use assembler to do that operation....
rayden wrote:
"NVIDIA IS WORKING WITH US BY QUITE A WHILE IN THEIR DRIVERS if you check they are upgrade very quickly"... this brings speed on acssess but that's not all i have another special option that reduces the screen aperture size as needed, about the opengl stuff it's changed for an optimized one, if you have freebsd try to install NVIDIA drivers you will see the speed that the system will gain with OpenGL....

If nvidia has to keep updating their bsd/*nix drivers, that means they keep finding more bugs and/or optimizations that needed to be done. Hence the reason they are still inferior to the windows ones (which aren't updated as frequently) Wink Oh, and again, a speed increase in openGL when using official drivers happens on EVERY platform and EVERY OS. Thats because, *gasp*, it is now able to use hardware acceleration! Rolling Eyes

Not sure what you mean by "special option that reduces the screen aperture size as needed"?

Quote:
remenber that freebsd only uses swap if necessary, another thing is ram freebsd uses low ram that increases the space available for the game and as freebsd uses UFSFFS3 this filesystem load's data to the ram like an prefetch way that's why its fast.

Umm... ALL OSes use swap Rolling Eyes (and no matter how fast the filesystem is, swap is ridiculously slow compared to RAM. Seriously, if the harddrive is needed at all during the game (such as for swap), your FPS will drop to like .05 )

Now just admit that the FPS you are getting in doom3 has absolutely nothign to do with you running FreeBSD. (and stop bringing up the filesystem! THE FILESYSTEM HAS NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER ON THE FPS IN DOOM3!!!!!!)
lol. Rayden ot pwnt.
Indeed, Kllrnohj is perfectly right about what he's saying as far as I can see. You'd better hope your computer doesn't start swapping during gameplay...
now you will understand an thing what is faster an OS that acsses directly to the disk over the disk buffer and in assincroned cicles or an OS that uses the disk buffer for swapping the data between the ram... Is here where i include the filesystem like swaping an huge amount data between ram and disk another thing freebsd uses swap but only if necessary like if you have only 128Mb of ram then it will use swap if you have more it will not even toutch it another thing the screen aperture size is likely if you have a graphic card with low mem it will steel mem to ram so using this option if you have 128MB of aperture size and your card is about 128MB to the aperture size will change to 64 or 32 or even 16 depends... this was a cortesy of nvidia and doesn't exist on windows platforms....
Uh, the AGP Aperture setting is a BIOS one, and therefore exists on EVERY OS that runs on the computer Rolling Eyes Regardless, using system RAM for video card RAM is slower and will result in no performance gain. Oh, and ATI has driver-specific optimizations and tweaks for it on windows as well, it is by no means a FreeBSD thing. It is far from an optimal solution, however, but it isn't something that is enabled per-os in the driver, but rather per-computer in the BIOS. The AGP aperature also is the MAX that can be used, not how much WILL be used. If you think for one second that nVidia is including a feature on FreeBSD drivers that isn't in the windows drivers, you are seriously crazy and should go take Economics 101 Laughing

As for the swap, again, all oses only use the swap if needed, that isn't a FreeBSD "feature". The on-drive harddisk buffer is pitiful, ranging from 2mb to a max of 16mb - and all OSes and filesystems will utilize this buffer for faster harddrive performance. Again, thats not a FreeBSD or whatever-filesystem-you-are-talking-about feature. And both options are ridiculously slow - far too slow to do any good for a game.
yes, please stop talking about BSD like it is some sort of god. All the features you talk about, I have seen in Win2k.
i will try to explain even more freebsd do not read directly from the disk buffer*, i think this explains a lot, swap freebsd do not use it that increases the read operation about the screen aperture size bsd can change it directly acording to the needs by an option that exists on nvidia drivers, and for making things evem more clear why the hell do you think microsoft have used freebsd for years on their hotmail and why the hell freebsd kernel is used on MACOS, isn't it for being more faster, well if you think freebsd is not god but its considered the GOLIAS of the OSES and if you think linux is better why the hell they have used my own code for making their multithread environment, linux for now is just to easy and to slow, windows will be even more slower with the lautch of vista their alt tabs keys combinations is horrible and the environment itsellt, oh god people do not know what to do... but that's another story hey about a new Filesystem type what do you think about an filesystem that in dirty cicles defragments the disk reorganizing everythink??? well we may introduce it on FreeBsd7.0...
I thought Mac OS was based on a proprietary Unix kernel, no?
I think so also.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours