Do you agree or disagree with this article? Why?
I agree.
 69%  [ 9 ]
I disagree.
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Quote:
All I have to say is, when will they do something about
MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't
celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry
Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings. It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing
how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over
backwards to not offend anyone, that I am now being
offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.

True. The apparent movement to prevent others from getting their feelings hurt seems to have gone a tad too far.
Quote:

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT AMERICANS,
MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
we have experienced a surge
in patriotism by the majority
of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had
barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about
the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there
are a few things that those
who have recently come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a
multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we
have our own culture, our
own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part
of our society, learn the language!

Yes, we are bending back too far for immigrants. If immigrants from Mexico can't read the signs because they are in English, it is entirely their fault that they did not learn English before coming to America. America is made of immigrants and their descendants, but immigrants are not America: doing what is "best" for immigrants does not mean that everyone benefits.
Quote:
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women,
on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.

Not entirely true, but it is our national motto.
Quote:
It is certainly appropriate to display it
on the walls of our schools. If God
offends you, then I suggest you
consider another part of the world as
your new home, because God is part
of our culture.

No it's not entirely appropriate, but who cares? Why do letters on walls have any meaning to you? Just because someone says it is our national motto does not mean it is your motto, and as such you do not have to follow it. However, I have a hard time believing that God is part of our culture if half-brained issues a la Cobb County persist. Not to mention that stores (barring Christianity-oriented ones of course) always market Christmas (or "Winter Holiday, depending on the store) but never raise banners proclaiming "Praise be to God" and the like, instead hoisting flags for their "Holiday Sale".
Quote:

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or
you don't like Uncle Sam, then you
should seriously consider a move
to another part of this planet. We
are happy with our culture and have
no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where
you came from. This is
OUR COUNTRY,
our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the
right to express his opinion and we
will allow you every opportunity to do
so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag,
our pledge, our national motto, or our
way of life, I highly encourage you
take advantage of one other great American freedom,
THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

Obviously.
Chipmaster wrote:
To define the culture of America as this is completely wrong in my mind. America is a mix of people with various beliefs and various practices.

I believe that you defined our culture as close as possible with that statement.
something1990 wrote:
It wouldn't do Americans any harm if they learned an extra language or two. In fact, it's beneficial business-wise. Many employers will be more likely to hire a person if that person is multilingual.

If immigrants were required to speak English at least passably, there wouldn't be a need for that. However, learning a foreign language is generally a very good idea regardless.
something1990 wrote:
Respecting other people's cultures? You gotta be kidding me. Americans barely respect African-American culture.

First, I would like to see some examples of African-American culture that are entirely unique to it. The name itself implies a vast amount of "Americanization".
Quote:
How is calling someone from South America a Mexican respectful? How is calling a Korean a Chinese respectful?

Are either of those intended to be respectful? They merely show the ignorance of those who do so, which is probably obvious anyways.
Quote:
Americans are a racist people as they have been for hundreds of years.

Surprised?
Quote:
If Americans are to respect other people's cultures, then attitudes like that presented in this article will have to change.

The attitude presented in this article is "America is not reponsible for you and your life; you are. If you can't get along in America because you can't speak or read English, that's your fault, not ours, and you should be doing something about it". This is not disrespect, it is reality;immigrants must make the sacrifices necessary to live in America, not Americans.
I agree with you right here, why should we bend over backwards for the people who choose to move here. Sorry, but it is time to follow suit.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours