i am trying to put a backlight in my 83+, but there is an aluminum plate behind the LCD that is giving me trouble. when i try to remove it the LCD starts to chip. any suggestions on how to remove the plate without breaking the LCD? Question
From the TICI 1.0 doumentation:

1. Soak a thin piece of rigid plastic in rubbing alcohol
2. Carefully slip between PCB and metal
3. Lever apart
From my documentation:

See the little holes in the metal sheet? Pour drops of Goo-Gone into the holes. Wait a few minutes, then carefully pry off the metal sheet.
I am glad that I sent him to the right place... Very Happy
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
From my documentation:

See the little holes in the metal sheet? Pour drops of Goo-Gone into the holes. Wait a few minutes, then carefully pry off the metal sheet.

If you don't have that, rubbing alcohol works just as well to remove adhesive.
i thank all of you for the help. soon i will have light Very Happy
i finished my backlight. i had an interesting thought berfore i installed it. along with the backlight i also added a variable resistor along with it. now im able to adjust the brightness of the light. Smile
Cool! When I finish plans, you can modify it to make a color screen. Care to post some pix of your work?
Ill post pictures when i get my digital cam out of layaway.
Great. Good luck with any future hardware mod projects.
Nice to know there are other calc modders out there still Smile
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Nice to know there are other calc modders out there still Smile

Right? Sometimes it feels like we're the only ones left! Sad
Well, I can garuntee you that you all are very far and few between... Neutral
We're just too good for them. Smile
Well, I would mod my calc, I just don't have the time... Besides, I just got an xbox. Smile I have several cool games to look into now, besides all of my projects...
Plus, there's the thing about accidentally breaking stuff. Very Happy Just Joking
Don't remind me. I dropped my calc mid-assembly into the RGB Screen, and now I have a cross hair of dead pixels on my screen :angry: I need a bigger table to work on so stuff like this doesn't happen...

That, and I'm STILL waiting on my Gamecube laser. I actually found a guy who has the exact same problem as me, and he's done all this stuff and it hasn't worked yet. He's studying for a degree in computers somewhere. If only he'd reply to me... I have ideas that would fix both our Gamecubes...

And on another note the near $20 gamebits I bought DON'T F'ING FIT! Ah well; good thing I didn't wait for the bits before I started melting pens into screwdrivers Smile
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Don't remind me. I dropped my calc mid-assembly into the RGB Screen, and now I have a cross hair of dead pixels on my screen :angry: I need a bigger table to work on so stuff like this doesn't happen...

I did something like that the first time I installed the CSA - remember the tin foil and scotch tape wire I made Laughing ?
But the thing is, I'm not entirely sure on how to repair that type of cabling on the LCD screen, or even if it's the cable that's at fault. Part of the cable is no longer attached to the screen itself.

And yes, I remember that picture you uploaded here with that giant white blob inside your calc Laughing
The only way to fix that is to remove the whole thing and get a new one. They're expensive though Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours