I hope like crazy that someone managed to save the interviews with Hiryu and Ed Fry... And maybe the rest of the info for the rest of the 3rd edition...
oh, yeah, that would be helpful to have, man, this is going to suck.
Yeah, I noticed that. Let's hope Google was able to cache it...
ah, what can't you do with google, other than have your own personal web page.
It's true, and they'll probably add that too eventually. Smile
I hope so... I am gonna Crying if that is gone... I will let one of you all ask to retake the interview...
It looks like it is - I couldn't find anything on Google. Sad
You don't think the way back machine... Idea

Edit: Nope, didn't crawl here at all... Sad Not even my site...
Yeah, I keep submitting Cemetech to the WayBack machine, but it's not crawling it. Sad
This is what I found of Hiryu's interview on MSN search. Mine I Dont have a cache of or the second page of Hiryu's which If I remember correctly he asked me to answer the last question.

You might want to check your internet caches if you got one, it might have an HTML file with the interviews in them. I'd look before looking in the thread here so it doesn't overwrite it. Fryedsoft or Hiryu text search in the cache should find something.

Quote:
TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 08:20:00 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject: Interview - Hiryu

Please, only post in this topic if you have a serious question for Hiryu.

When did you become interested in calcs, and what was yout first game to be released to the public?
>Give Kerm a hard time at least once a day!!

hiryu
Posted: 08:34:45 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

I became interested in calc programming when Fryedsoft came to me for graphic designs for some of his games. My first calc was the ti-85 and was purchased in 95..my first game was Mystic Legend v.1
My first public release I would say would be Final Fantasy 3: Kefka's Revenge
(made this during class at college )
My first major project was a joint project with FryedsoftL FF7 Cloud's Quest
My solo major project during those busy years was a tie between Mystic Legend & Slayers.

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 08:40:30 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

Ok, Do you have any projects going currently? And if you do, can you give us some information on the game itself? (i.e. general plot, the genre, etc.)

hiryu
Posted: 09:04:30 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

Currently..hehe..thats almost a joke in itself. Sorry its funny when I think about it.. I have had Mystic Legend 89 and Legends of Landel both in an ongoing 4 year development...but not the entire 4 years..just bits here and there. Unfortunately RL is not kind nor subtle..but you do what you have to do. Right now I just got promoted to mobile tech and this puts me to a point where I can do what I want...like programming and what not. So this was one of many reasons for the revival..that and Fryedsoft always asking me when I'm going to finish it

Mystic Legend 89 is basically a directors cut of the ML92. The storyline now is completely drawn out with many hand drawn pics to go along with a very indepth storyline. The battlesystem was also redone to handle spell effects and customization of character stats as you level. World Map and walking engine was totally redone. Questing System was added for side events and giving the player other items to strive for. However it does not reflect anything that we really intended for Legends of Landel.

Both games have animated openings..though I made both of them WAY back in 2000. Scary that I am using really old pics..I could redraw them 10 times better now..but I don't want to draw that many things

**Some reason posting images from calc.org does not display correctly o here** I post those as well on my project section. I do have the opening to Mystic Legend 89 on there..I will put the Legends of Landel on there right now.
I will have a more indepth look into the games within the next couple weeks on my site under the projects section.

Last edited by hiryu on 10:49:47 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005; edited 1 time in total

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 09:13:24 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

As a regular visitor to your site, always checking for updates, I am impressed with the look and ease of navigation that I find on your site. What kind of other programming languages do you know? Also, how old are you now? (A bit of an akward question. )

hiryu
Posted: 09:20:05 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

How old I am..you know sometimes I wonder that..after 21..counting the years really doesn't happen.. currently with my math skills..I will be...
*drum roll please*

Programming languages.. I went to school for programming in C++
Fryedsoft started me out with TI-basic for the 85..oh and the TI Bible is a great self help tutorial in itself. Now for other things like web designing..I self teach myself stuff when I want to do something on my own.

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 09:31:18 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

lol, well, I understand how you feel, being as I am 21, and have been working in the family business for as long as I can remember.

Since you left, do you feel that the TI-Community has changed in a better or worse way?

hiryu
Posted: 09:36:03 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

Yeah it has changed...with time all things change whether for the good or the bad. The community I remember had many issues with basic...it sometimes felt like it was a struggle to be a presence at all... you would get the occasional email on how to run something...as my time in the community progressed emails became 'WHY don't you make this on the <insert calc # here>' Currently the community I have been reintroduced to has been more accepting to the ti-basic concept.

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 09:41:16 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

You spoke of a "TI Bible". Was this on the internet, or a book purchased? and if it was on the net, do you know if this is still available?

hiryu
Posted: 09:44:37 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

Hehe..sorry personal reference to the TI Handbook...
The TI-Bible is the foundation for my belief in basic

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 09:52:38 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

I see.

Have you considered writing up tutorials for the 89 basic, to sort of help preserve what you know so it isn't forgotten? Also, do you think you might have any other projects you would like to do after you complete the revived ones?

hiryu
Posted: 10:02:28 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

Not big on writing tutorials..don't mind helping out others..but don't ask me ot write something step by step..I can't count that high
Future Projects..I always like making something new and different..but I have restrained myself from even thinking of starting anything until the current 2 I am working on are done. Its possible...

Jonathan Pezzino
Super-Expert
Posted: 10:10:16 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

What kind of future do you forsee for TI-BASIC? Will it go the way of all the other dialects of BASIC and fall into obscurity and obseleteness, or will young programmers continue to embrace it as their introduction into the programming world? What do you think of the language in general?

My Music OWNS your Music!

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 10:12:24 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

hiryu wrote:

Not big on writing tutorials..don't mind helping out others..but don't ask me ot write something step by step..I can't count that high
Future Projects..I always like making something new and different..but I have restrained myself from even thinking of starting anything until the current 2 I am working on are done. Its possible...

lol, I know 89 BASIC is a bit more complex than z80, so the tutorials would require a bit of writing on that part.

As for finishing projects, I agree. I have 5 (stupid me) and I hope to be able to finish at least 2 this summer.

That is all the questions that I have, I am sure that Kerm and Jon might have a couple. I really hope to see you on the forums occasionally!

hiryu
Posted: 10:23:07 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

In response to Jonathan's Question:
To really say that I can forcast the future of TI-Basic would be a lie in its self. Just after losing touch with the community for 4 or so years I have seen almost a complete 180 degree turn in the attitude toward ti-basic in alot of people..yes I know there are still alot out there that no matter what you say ASM is the thing. Which I don't have a problem with..whatever makes the game for you..
Anyways at the current pace of TI development and the need to go along with technology, we would have to see a big jump in ti-basic in how it handles graphics & how well the code can be ran in a timely manner. If these 2 factors do not increase then you may start to see a trend that will leave ti-basic in the dust for the flashy asm games. Think simple..no matter how great it is...if its shiny they will come and stare at it. Sad but true human nature..I test this theory everyday at work

Jonathan Pezzino
Super-Expert
Posted: 10:28:45 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

Do you plan to continue programming in TI-BASIC in the future, or do you think you will try to compete with the ASM programmers?

hiryu
Posted: 10:38:23 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

I was never aiming to compete with ASM..thats not the point for me making games. My strong points for game creation is not my programming skills but my artistic abilities..I think thats what has really made alot of my stuff stand out. I love to create storylines and characters to fit into the world that I create. The whole point to remaking Mystic Legend for the was to introduce life into the characters and give them personality..sure ML92 had a storyline..but not one I really intended for..alot of my TI-92 games had given up character development/storyline for memory restrictions.

hiryu
Posted: 10:57:29 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005 Post subject:

I will assume that the dead of silence for the last 20 minutes is a good sign that either everyone decided to go to sleep during the interview or died at there computers

I will go for option 3: Its too freaking late, I have work tomorrow, and I need sleep

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 06:25:53 AM GMT on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005 Post subject:

lol, sorry about that. I kinda lost power in my area. Someone took out the electric station... stupid bad drivers...

KermMartian
Site Admin
Posted: 09:38:03 AM GMT on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005 Post subject:

What opinion, if any, do you have of the relative merits of the z80 calculator series and the m68k series, in terms of features vs. price, and usability for BASIC programming? How would you address the vast difference in memory space available on the two different series, and how do you think this has influenced the development of TI-BASIC programs on the two?
You the man! Laughing Now if we can find yours, we will be good to go...
Oh man! That's right, I forgot MSN caches my site.
the only place I can think of now would be the temporary internet files on other people's machine. I know I dont have it because I turn it off.

Under IE -> Internet options, in the temporary internet files section click settings, then view files. Anything that says it's from cemetech save somewhere for now, then do a search in it for the post.

Keep in mind, if you looked at the interview since it's been erased it's probably erased with the not found page.

at this point, we're looking for page 2 of hiryu's interview and my entire interview.
Yeah, we definitely should look for that...
well, from the lack of posting, I can assume we need to do another interview?
Unfortunately, it looks like that's the case. Sad
Well, it's probably a little late, but I finally found my interview on google.

Quote:
TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 04:50:32 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject: Fryedsoft/Hiryu Interview

Welcome Fryedsoft! While we wait for Kerm and Jon to post some questions, maybe you could tell us a little about when and how you became interested in TI-BASIC Programming.

KermMartian
Site Admin
Posted: 04:59:04 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

That was going to be my first question. As a follow-up, could you tell us how you came to focus on the series in particular?

Jonathan Pezzino
Super-Expert
Posted: 05:59:06 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

[I'm here]

KermMartian
Site Admin
Posted: 06:00:13 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

[Yay, now we just need the interviewees ]

Fryedsoft
Posted: 07:59:05 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

well I'm here. Hiryu should be registering on the forum soon. I just talked to him over the phone.

Quote:
when and how you became interested in TI-BASIC Programming.

I first got interested in Ti Programming on a Ti-81 sometime around 93-94. Since I didn't have a real computer at the time, I spent most of my time learning how to program it. From there, I actually Started Programming someone Else's Ti-85 and eventually moved up from that. Then Hiryu got interested in the 85 and he got one too.

Quote:
As a follow-up, could you tell us how you came to focus on the 89 series in particular?

First came the Ti-92. I almost have to believe I had the first one in this county. I found out about it from my science teacher that saw a prerelease version of it and had documentation on it. I practically had to hunt down a store that even knew what it was let alone order one. Finally, I got one of the local Office Supplies stores to look into it and got it ordered. I found out rather quickly that the Ti-92's Basic Language was far more powerful than the 85, so that's where me and eventually Hiryu began to focus our efforts. The Ti-89 to me was a Ti-92 that was 85 size, and had the memory that we've been looking for since FFVII:CQ, So I got one of those a few months after it was released.

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 08:18:32 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

All right. What was your first game to be released? And do you have any projects that you have planned?

Fryedsoft
Posted: 09:06:28 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

The first program published online was Icons for the 92 on Jan 16 1997. I posted Tetris (the first game) for the 85 the next day. There both in the bit.listserv.calc.ti newsgroup.

As for the first program I ever gave out, it was Numbers for the 81.

As for whats upcoming, I'm working on an RPG engine known as the Slayers engine, which will be the primary engine for Legend of Landel, The Next Joint RPG with hiryu.

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 09:14:32 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

Sounds great. What other languages do you know (Programming wise) and do you have any plans on re-doing your site?

Fryedsoft
Posted: 09:44:44 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

TI-Freak8x wrote:
Sounds great. What other languages do you know (Programming wise) and do you have any plans on re-doing your site?

Language wise, I've programmed COBOL, RPG/400, C++, Visual Basic, CICS (Kinda like Visual COBOL for mainframes only you code the entire thing), JCL (Mainframe Batch File like language) and mainframe assembly. YSU really liked their IBM mainframe.

As for the site. There's really no plans to change it at this time. I might get bored enough to change it again someday. A lot of the reason it's not as graphical as most sites is because the Computer Center at YSU absolutely hated my site and put restrictions on it because it was sucking a ton of the server bandwidth (At the time, two sites outranked me, the CC.YSU site, which was on all the PCs as the start page, and the Admins site). When I moved to from cc.ysu.edu to calc.org, a lot of the restrictions didn't exist on calc.org but I never changed the design cause it was dial up friendly. Generally speaking the entire site with all of the files in it is around 1.5 MB.

If I had to change it tomorrow, I'd probably change it back to version 4 (it looked like This) I liked that design but my web counter didn't.

TI-Freak8x
Cemetech Staff Member
Posted: 09:57:01 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

Wow, how much of that do you actually remember? I think i would have forgotten half of that by now...

Do you plan on taking on any other projects after you complete the LoL??

Fryedsoft
Posted: 10:11:51 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

Not much. Where I work their Idea of a mainframe is a PDP11 (they dont use it, but they still have one). I use Visual Basic every once in awile, but most of my time is spend fixing PC's a Work.

The Slayers Engine by design is Modular, which means that once LoL is done, making another RPG should be easy, since all we would do is change the data files that make up LoL with whatever new RPG we think up. I can't really say what the next project would be, but I'm not retiriing just yet. You might see another Slayers game, another ML game, both, Who knows. I do know it's not going to be the KCHS punisher anytime soon

Jonathan Pezzino
Super-Expert
Posted: 10:12:49 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

Your site's slogan is "The Future of TI-BASIC Today." Can you explain what that means? What IS the future of TI-BASIC?

Fryedsoft
Posted: 10:41:41 PM GMT on Tuesday, June 21st, 2005    Post subject:

A lot of the reason why I chose that Slogan is because it seems that a lot of my programs set a standard or were firsts when it came down to what to expect from the Ti-basic crowd months later. Icons, KCHS Punisher and FF7 in it's day was pretty much the standard by which programs were judged. That and I liked the newgrounds slogan

Only old timers will remember this, but at one point in time I had a demo of Grayscale Pictures on a Ti-92 called wingray. I posted it on my site in Sept 97 but didn't publish it anywhere else. Two years later you started seeing Grayscale demos all over ticalc.org.

In the case of FF7, most of the RPG's that me and Hiryu played when we released FF7 didn't compare to it. They either crashed, were text based, or claimed they had features that they didn't.

Even today. The slayers engine is almost 6 years old. at this point I haven't really seen anything on the 89 that I think would give it a run for it's money. Especially considering that it's not using any kind of ASM Library, or Exec call to do what it's doing. Of course this is my opinion

As for the Future, I really would like to see TI continue to support the language particularly on the Ti-89. All that's really needed in the future is a speed increase, but that will happen as the calc's get faster and generally speaking the language itself is solid.

KermMartian
Site Admin
Posted: 05:48:04 PM GMT on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005    Post subject:

Do you feel that your work and/or ideas were key in advancing the overall quality of BASIC programming in the community, if so, how, if not, why not, and who did?

Fryedsoft
Posted: 07:04:27 PM GMT on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005    Post subject:

Well Yes and No.

I think that a lot of the reason that Basic is improving vs what it was a few years ago is from two things; Disclosure and Optimization.

Disclosure has a lot to do with why code quality has improved over the last few years. Since most Basic Programs are Open source by design, almost anyone can look at the code and incorporate ideas from one program to another. This has a dark side in the form of ripoffs and clones, but overall as better and better Basic code get developed, the overall quality of programs get better because Basic programmers learn from each other. This shows up a lot in the Linux and FireFox projects because of the GNU open disclosure designs.

The Move to Optimize code is another aspect of what's improving code. This is something that I didn't even follow until much later, when I saw what results it brings first hand. This is especially critical when you are competing against games under ASM that don't need optimization to produce very fast speed. There is a lot of commands that calculators have that are not used much, but can do very powerful stuff. Michael Van Der Kolk had a tutorial that basically shown in great detail how to gain speed in Ti-92 basic using other Ti-92 commands to do similar results. The results from those articles basically made me change the way I code now.

As for Me advancing basic quality. If I had any Impact on what improved the quality, Outside of me Keeping Hays Busy, it was that Me and Hiryu really didn't go into anything we did with a "it can't be done" attitude. A shining example of this is Icons. When I first had my Ti-92 in High School some guy in class on a Friday kept saying it's a great toy, but it couldn't run windows. He kept at it pretty much all that day and he was doing it as a joke, but by Monday it was running Windows, Or at least something that looked like it. When we did FF7:CQ it got us in trouble because we were coding so much we didn't think that we could max the memory so fast. We found that out rather abruptly in the middle of it's Dev cycle.

The only other thing I can think of that we did was the testing. Every game got insane amounts of testing. FF7 had two weeks of non stop testing. We tested under different ROM Versions, we tested what happens when you press Esc in a Dialog Box, tested scenarios that should never happen under normal circumstances, and played it through constantly. It got to the point where I could beat the game from start to finish in less than 2 hours. After all that, once we deemed it to be stable it was released. Just about everything else we did followed the same amount of testing, and it shows in that we run into very few problems when we release.

Jonathan Pezzino
Super-Expert
Posted: 09:27:37 PM GMT on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2005    Post subject:

That's really impressive. Any further questions guys, or should we move onto closing remarks?

and have you seen that Google does allow you to create your own sites now?
Yup, I did know that. Google Homepages. Do I want you to take what?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours