http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2NSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

*droool*

I am going to build a new compy for my b-day this summer (July), and I'm thinking of getting that 5000+... Wink Hopefully Intel's Conroe (aka, Core Due Extreme or some crap like that) will come out soon so I can see who's faster and more worthy of my dollar Very Happy
From what I've heard (which admittedly may not being saying all that much), AMD have done little to improve the actual processor between the Athlon and the AM2. The conroe, on the other hand, is giving Intel very high hopes. Perhaps we will see a swing in the leader of CPU's this summer, but in either case, my allegiance is to AMD until Intel shows me otherwise.
I'm still trying to get a job...once I do the first thing I'm buying is a car...and then a new comp.
@Chip: Read the link buddy, it explains all the changes, although, if you are lazy, here is a summery:

1) Uses DDR2 instead of DDR
2) Uses much less power (as much as 30W less)

But you are *mostly* right. AMD only claims a 1% performance gain by the switch to DDR2, although if you read the review, you will see it is definitely much better than 1% Wink

Do note that AM2 is a socket change, NOT a microarchitecture change (per se, there were changes as the core contains the memory controller, which had to be changed to support DDR2). Intel's Conroe, on the other hand, is a completely new microarchitecture.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Do note that AM2 is a socket change, NOT a microarchitecture change (per se, there were changes as the core contains the memory controller, which had to be changed to support DDR2). Intel's Conroe, on the other hand, is a completely new microarchitecture.

That's essentially what I was trying to communicate, but I'm not familiar with all of the jargon. Smile

Either way, unless my summer job starts paying me a ton more, I don't think I will be upgrading my current configuration.
i'm gonna get an X2 4200+ b/c i'm a teen who still has is parents pay for everything. btw, i'm a freshman. but yea, those procs look pretty good. But when Kentsfield comes out, intel might gain the upper hand if AMD hasn't already produced a QC.
An X2 4200+ Socket 939 or AM2?

You could get the Energy Efficent AM2 model and have it just sip a mere 65 watts of power....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours