I made these in the GIMP from this video. Really neat stuff!
Incredibly uber. I <3 magnetic fluid.
Indeed, and I learned a few things that I can put into the Video-->GIF tutorial as well.
Indeed? Like what, for example.
So anyway, what practical uses does this stuff have?
I don't know, I just like the animations I made a lot. I mean, aren't those just really cool?
Indeed. Especially considering they're the result of simple structured, resonating magnetic fields.
Funny story about Ferrofluid (that's what it is, right?). For a chemistry project last year, one group was running experiments on FerroFluid. One of them ended up getting injured by the Ferrofluid when one of them put it on one side of his hand and a magnet on the other. He's the only person I know to get stabbed by a liquid Laughing Sadly he did have to go to the hospital to get stiches, but I bet even the doctors thought it was funny.
Whoa, that's awesome!
Chipmaster wrote:
...He's the only person I know to get stabbed by a liquid Laughing

What about getting stabbed by a falling icicle that then melts? (Just hypothetical; I don't know of this actually happening to anyone)
KermMartian wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:
...He's the only person I know to get stabbed by a liquid Laughing

What about getting stabbed by a falling icicle that then melts? (Just hypothetical; I don't know of this actually happening to anyone)

it wouldn't be a liquid if its frozen, now would it? Wink
I know, I know, I'm just saying. Actually, any liquid can injure you given enough momentum (large mass or large velocity).
Right, but how often are you going to have super-sonic water flying at you. Rolling Eyes
KermMartian wrote:
I know, I know, I'm just saying. Actually, any liquid can injure you given enough momentum (large mass or large velocity).

True, but he specificially said "stabbed" - to get enough water to hurt you at realisticly high speeds (such as from a fire house) wouldn't cause a stab-like wound, more like a ran-into-a-tree wound (aka, a blunt wound - but I like my naming better, its more descriptive AND funnier Very Happy )
Fair enough. There must be some metallic properties to ferrofluid though if it had a sufficient density to produce a stablike wound.
It really was a stabbing. I didn't see it happen myself, but I heard a couple of accounts from different group members and saw the hand after it. You know the little fold of skin between your pinky finger (little one) and ring finger. Yea, there was a tear in that Surprised The magnet was a rare earth magnet (given to them by my chemistry teacher) which was very powerful. I think that had a major role in it.
Ahhh, ok. So the strength of the magnet and the high density of the ferrofluid caused it to act as a nearly solid object at fair speeds and therefore caused injury. Oh, and I looked up ferrofluid - its density is closer to that of iron than that of water.
You have to be careful around neodymium magnets. Some of them are powerful enough that you cannot have any metal in the same room as one of these things, or you risk being severely injured by flying objects. Shock
Indeed. I always wondered what made those HD magnets so powerful...I've learned the hard way about them pinching skin. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours