CEaShell (pronounced like seashell) is a new shell that RoccoLox Programs and I have been working on recently, written in C and eZ80 ASM. It aims to provide a simple, easy to use interface with some basic QoL shell features. If you want something more advanced and larger scale, this is not the shell for you.

Features:
▪ All icon/description formats supported by Cesium (including monochrome ones!)
▪ Program running
▪ Archiving/unarchiving, deleting, hiding, locking, and renaming programs
▪ Alpha searching
▪ Viewing of file info (Such as file type and hidden status, etc.)
▪ Customizable color themes (User-created ones too at some point)
▪ No globals!

Planned Features:
▪ Program editing with some basic improvements to the program editor
▪ User-created color themes
▪ The entire settings menu
▪ More cool stuff

Enough talk, here's screenshots:
▪ Basic features (Program running, hiding, etc.):

▪ Color themes/menus:

(Ignore the empty spots in the menus, those are coming soon)

So far I've been doing the UI stuff and Rocco has been doing the assembly.
Be sure to let us know what you think, and we're happy to hear any suggestions (though that doesn't necessarily mean we'll add them Razz)!

We also have a discord server here!

GitHub Repository: https://github.com/RoccoLoxPrograms/CEaShell

CEaShell has its first beta out now! Join the discord and get the Beta Tester role to try it out!

Note: A lot has changed since this post. For more updated features/screenshots, look at more recent posts in the thread!
I like the layout and color options. Smile
Cool
This looks like a solid, fast, and minimal shell; nice work! I particularly like the interface, which feels a bit retro-style. Maybe it's the rounded corners.
This is awesome!
Great work!
I cannot wait to see it finished!
I think this is a great idea! I personally like the color tones and the rounded corners. I would however recommend that you not allow the user to run the CEASHELL program from within the shell. Since any program that is run returns to the shell, running the CEASHELL program from within the shell will actually cause the program to return multiple times. To see what I mean just run CEASHELL from the TI-OS home screen, then once the UI opens run CEASHELL from the UI, this will open another CEASHELL UI and run CEASHELL again. Now to exit and return to the TI-OS, you will have to hit [CLEAR] twice or whatever button you have mapped as the exit button.

But other than that, I think this is a pretty nice shell!
ProgrammerBobSmith wrote:
Now to exit and return to the TI-OS, you will have to hit [CLEAR] twice or whatever button you have mapped as the exit button.

That would depend on the way it is implemented, so it wouldn't have to be such a problem that way. Though i guess it might then still not be ideal.
We've (basically) finished the UI customization menu! All the options work, and we added a new toggleable feature to hide CEaShell from the "desktop". We also wrote a little routine to display the size programs in the OS/Cesium, instead of using ti_GetSize which returns a slightly smaller size.
Here's a screenshot featuring the new customizing menu:
This looks great! Might convince me to start using a shell!

I see you are scaling the program icons by 4x, while the shell-native icons (ICE, ASM, SRC, etc) are native resolution.

Would there be interest in adding support for larger icons, like 32x32 or 64x64px, even if it is custom to this shell?
NoahK wrote:
This looks great! Might convince me to start using a shell!

I see you are scaling the program icons by 4x, while the shell-native icons (ICE, ASM, SRC, etc) are native resolution.

Would there be interest in adding support for larger icons, like 32x32 or 64x64px, even if it is custom to this shell?

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. The reason the shell icons are larger is because they are drawn entirely using graphx functions. We may add support for larger program icons in the future, such as 32x32, but I doubt we'll be supporting 64x64 as those are quite large and take up a lot of space in the programs that would use them. Another reason we might not support larger icons is because the C toolchain only supports 16x16 icons (I think), meaning that a lot of programs might not even be able to utilize it.
Looking very nice! I really like the style of the UI and the animations.

One thing that I did notice here is that in the settings menu, it's not clear what the difference between clicking "change theme" and clicking one of the colored boxes that indicates a theme color is--I'd expect you to be able to just click on one of those boxes to change the color. Or does clicking "change theme" jump over to the menu?

Anyway, good work so far! Looking forward to seeing this completed.
epsilon5 wrote:
Looking very nice! I really like the style of the UI and the animations.

One thing that I did notice here is that in the settings menu, it's not clear what the difference between clicking "change theme" and clicking one of the colored boxes that indicates a theme color is--I'd expect you to be able to just click on one of those boxes to change the color. Or does clicking "change theme" jump over to the menu?

Anyway, good work so far! Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Clicking "Change Theme" jumps over to the other menu (Since you use the arrow keys to switch between options in both menus, you can't really also use them to switch back and forth). I'll probably change the layout a bit in the future (Like hiding the color menu unless you hit "Change Theme" to make it easier to understand.
I've re-done the customization menu to make a little more sense! It should be clearer to tell how to use it now, and there is a little info box that talks about each option.

Rocco and I also added support for descriptions on programs with monochrome icons!
This is looking very nice!
I especially like how clean all the elements are!
Big Update!
Thanks to commandz, we have been able to make CEaShell an app! Sadly, the app won't be able to be installed on physical hardware at the moment, but commandz is working on getting it to work, so hopefully it won't be long!

We had to re-write the program running code and change quite a bit of other stuff to get it to work properly, but everything should now work the same as it did previously, along with an error handler that we stole from Cesium. Thanks to commandz, calc84maniac, Mateo, and jacobly for help getting it all to work. Now that it's an app, we'll be able to add a lot of different cool hook features that we've been thinking of, and we can't wait to share more updates in the future!
Cool stuff! I like how this one displays the icons at larger size so that they're easier to see on the small screen.
Cool, I will definitely check this out once it is released!Smile
We've added something very cool (I think)! This was suggested by Adriweb a few weeks ago, but we had to get CEaShell working as an app before we could incorporate any more hook stuff. Anyways, without further ado...

We add program icons to the OS [PRGM] menu!

This will eventually become a toggleable feature in the CEaShell settings. We currently support all icon formats, including monochrome ones! Let us know what you think!
Woah I love the idea Shock . I can't wait to see this with the programs I have on my calculator.
Dang, that's a great idea! I'm a bit envious I never thought of that with Doors CS.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours