Oh, so each character is a specific color, I thought each vertical column of pixels that make up a character had a different color!
I almost went that route, which I probably would've done by creating a texture beforehand and using palette cycling. This looked good enough, though, so I'll stick with it Smile
*bump*
Got started on the level select screen:

Progress will save automatically, you'll be able to select any level you've unlocked, and it'll track your lowest move count.
Hello! I have made good progress and am almost ready to release a final version. All that's left is a screen for when you win!
Here's a download for anyone who might be interested in testing for me:
http://merthsoft.com/BLOKDUDE.8xp

Edit: And of course as soon as I upload it I find issues:
1) Can pick up a block even if there's a wall overhead
2) HELP screen doesn't mention "Clear" to restart the level
I was able to get to the fifth level with no problems. The only two issues I noticed were keymapping-related:
  • My fingers thought the down arrow should pick up and drop blocks.
  • I had to keyboard-mash to get back to the main menu; [CLEAR], [DEL], and [ON] all seemed like reasonable choices but did other things or nothing.
Strange. Delete for me goes back to the main menu. I wonder if others are seeing that.
As for down-arrow: That's the old-school scheme I always thought was kind of strange--but I can add it in!
merthsoft wrote:
Strange. Delete for me goes back to the main menu. I wonder if others are seeing that.
As for down-arrow: That's the old-school scheme I always thought was kind of strange--but I can add it in!
Sorry, I mis-typed: [CLEAR], [ON], and *[MODE]* (for quit) are the ones I'd expect - [DEL] was unexpected. And yeah, I realize that it's old-style, but having it for us old fogies would be appreciated. Smile
Well your old brain is inconsistent Razz DEL is the exit key in the original game. I've added DOWN to work as well as 2nd.

I completely refactored the code to make it less, uh, monolithy? Despite the fact that I eliminated a bunch of boilerplate it made the binary bigger hehe. In any case, we're very close to a release! Thanks for testing Smile
It's been released! Download:
http://ceme.tech/DL2293

Source:
https://github.com/merthsoft/blockdudece/
I believe I might have found a bug. When I use the camera mode on the 8th level, I can actually see the character on another level. This might be because of tile map and the width of level 8 is not consistent with the increment in the tile map.
Oh interesting! I'll have to look into that--thanks!
merthsoft wrote:
Oh interesting! I'll have to look into that--thanks!

No problem! Thank you for contributing another wonderful calculator program that will entertain ... I mean educate ... me in my spare time! Razz

If you want me to be nit-picky, there is another bug in level 8. When you first start the level, move to the stack of 6 blocks in the right wall. Climb to the second level of blocks and pick up the lone block. When you do so turn around and press the up button which should move you down. This doesn't move the guy at all. However, if you press the left button it will move the character down. Again this is extremely nit-picky and not really that big of a deal, but still something to be aware of.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours