I'm working on a Smash Bros. clone for the TI84+CE, featuring only characters that have appeared in calculator games. I figured I should probably announce this before I continue.

I have all the animations and collision working for one character, and it runs surprisingly fast.

More info and beta release: https://github.com/wsclayton383/SSBCE
Sounds cool! What kinds of characters are you planning to add? Obviously there's the famous ones like Block Dude, but there's plenty of characters to be found in various RPGs (I'd reccommend sourcing from more recent ones), heck you could even include the car from Lotus Turbo Challenge a la Fighters Megamix.
This looks like a lot of fun! Since it's Smash Bros, we'll obviously need Oiram Wink
cool, we gotta have geometry dash
This looks amazing! I wish you luck!
Good luck! I like how it looks so far Smile
I like the idea of characters being exclusively from other calculator games. There probably needs to be a Tetris item now that you got Tetris sprites, though. Smile
Invalid_Jake wrote:
There's one on TI-Planet actually, with several centillions of custom levels.
It's amazing how fluid this game feels- other smash bros clones that I've seen on calcs always feel like they have too much gravity, but this feels quite fluid and fun to control.
Oxiti8 wrote:
It's amazing how fluid this game feels- other smash bros clones that I've seen on calcs always feel like they have too much gravity, but this feels quite fluid and fun to control.

Yeah, it turned out much better than I thought it would.

Oxiti8 wrote:
What kinds of characters are you planning to add?

TIny_Hacker wrote:
Since it's Smash Bros, we'll obviously need Oiram Wink

There's a list of characters with completed movesets here, a few that are still in progress, and a long list of possible characters I haven't fully decided on yet. I'll be announcing characters as their movesets are finalized.

Invalid_Jake wrote:

I'll add it to the list. I had already planned to make it a stage, but I could probably make a decent character out of it too.
This could be a motivation to get people to program more games to have their character added it would be interesting if you did that and it could make some cool characters and games come to life. Also Steve from isometric mine craft or minecraft 2d that I belive was programed on ice
Invalid_Jake wrote:
Also Steve from isometric minecraft

I'm not really sure how well that would work, considering smash bros is a 2d game. However, my original test character "socko" would be pretty neat I think! You can see what I have for that here. Also an animated screenshot here. (Based on the pingsock emoji from Cemetech discord) However it's not really part of a released game, so don't feel pressured to put it in if you don't want to.
Hmm.. instresting but would it still be possible to have Steve from minecraft 2d? I thought this because he is a real character in actual super smash bros. 2d Steve would be easier.
Invalid_Jake wrote:
would it still be possible to have Steve from minecraft 2d?

I do plan on adding Steve at some point; there's a lot of 2d minecraft clones to draw inspiration from.

Michael2_3B wrote:
However, my original test character "socko" would be pretty neat I think!

There's not enough content to give Socko it's own moveset, unfortunately. If I ever get around to adding alt costumes, I'll add it as a costume for Steve.
theflamingninja21 wrote:
Invalid_Jake wrote:
would it still be possible to have Steve from minecraft 2d?

I do plan on adding Steve at some point; there's a lot of 2d minecraft clones to draw inspiration from.

Michael2_3B wrote:
However, my original test character "socko" would be pretty neat I think!

There's not enough content to give Socko it's own moveset, unfortunately. If I ever get around to adding alt costumes, I'll add it as a costume for Steve.

This is cool and I think that's a good idea.
Beta v0.2 is out! Local, same-calc multiplayer has been added, so attacks now have a use.
The framerate was cut in half, though, so I'll be working on optimization next.

Download: https://github.com/wsclayton383/SSBCE/releases/tag/v0.2-beta
Don't forget Madeline from CEleste! there should definitely be enough to work with with her, right?
The portal character would be cool to have
It also would be nice to have counter-attacks just like the original. And I did find one interesting thing in the game where you are at the corner of the map, and then for some reason, the player would slide off to the very edge and most likely fall.
pseudo_lame wrote:
Don't forget Madeline from CEleste! there should definitely be enough to work with with her, right?

I'll add her to the list.

IceWorks wrote:
The portal character would be cool to have

They already have a finished moveset here.

Clyde wrote:
It also would be nice to have counter-attacks just like the original.

I'm planning on giving counters to some future, unannounced characters.

Clyde wrote:
And I did find one interesting thing in the game where you are at the corner of the map, and then for some reason, the player would slide off to the very edge and most likely fall.

That's a glitch caused by my sloppy collision routine. It should be fixed by the first full release.
Wow. This is...
Absolutely incredible. Definitely in the top ten coolest things I’ve seen on a CE.
Keep up the good work!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours