I seem to have found an undocumented 'key' on the TI-83/84+ that allows a backspace with the click of one button. It has to be entered via the remote control key method, but it results in exactly a backspace.

I asked in this forum about Backspace on these calculators earlier this week, and no-one said it was possible, so I also assume that this feature was unknown, as well as being undocumented.

I made a longer than necessary video about it and share the details in it. If there is some info I can help someone to understand, please let me know and I will update it.

Oh, and if this is not as it seems to me, then please go easy on me, haha.

https://youtu.be/14MzEwNMNrM
For convenience, the code linked from the video:

Code:
;RemoteControl 1.0
;Remote control another ti83+ over the link port with this
;program.

;By David Lindström okvin@tiscali.se
;http://cirrus.tigalaxy.com
;amended by matalog to demonstrate Backspace remote 'keypress'.

.nolist
.binarymode TI8X
#include "ti83plus.inc"
.list
    .org usermem-2
    .db $BB,$6D

loop
 b_call(_getkey)
 ld a,33
 push af
 ld a,$83
 b_call(_sendabyte)
 ld a,$87   
 b_call(_sendabyte)   
 pop af
 b_call(_sendabyte)
 xor a
 b_call(_sendabyte)
 ld hl,flags+onflags
 bit oninterrupt,(hl)
 jr z,loop
 res oninterrupt,(hl)
 ret

.end

The keycode of interest is 0x21, which doesn't have an equate in ti83plus.inc (alongside 0x22 through 0x24).

I assume this is used for the TI-Keyboard, which confusingly has a backspace but no delete key and a delete key in a weird place.
The TI-Keyboard had a backspace???

I don't have one, and tried to recreate one, and found this undocumented ability to backspace!

Are you serious? The TI-Keyboard has backspace? Can you show a video of it? Or something to convince me that it exists on the Ti-Keyboard?

Apparently the TI-Keyboard even used a different language.
I'm pretty sure that it works on most keyboards (Not just the TI-Keyboard), though I could be wrong. Here's a quick test with my TI-84 Plus CE:

However, it could just be that that's on the CE. I'm not sure if it works on older models as well.
Tari wrote:
For convenience, the code linked from the video:

Code:
;RemoteControl 1.0
;Remote control another ti83+ over the link port with this
;program.

;By David Lindström okvin@tiscali.se
;http://cirrus.tigalaxy.com
;amended by matalog to demonstrate Backspace remote 'keypress'.

.nolist
.binarymode TI8X
#include "ti83plus.inc"
.list
    .org usermem-2
    .db $BB,$6D

loop
 b_call(_getkey)
 ld a,33
 push af
 ld a,$83
 b_call(_sendabyte)
 ld a,$87   
 b_call(_sendabyte)   
 pop af
 b_call(_sendabyte)
 xor a
 b_call(_sendabyte)
 ld hl,flags+onflags
 bit oninterrupt,(hl)
 jr z,loop
 res oninterrupt,(hl)
 ret

.end

The keycode of interest is 0x21, which doesn't have an equate in ti83plus.inc (alongside 0x22 through 0x24).

I assume this is used for the TI-Keyboard, which confusingly has a backspace but no delete key and a delete key in a weird place.

The TI Keyboard used a different communication method, as shown here from its technical manual https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/2043/x2141

The scan codes it uses are also different, as you can see, 21h for it, should produce a 6, not a backspace.

So, it could not be the TI Keyboard backspace that this is using. And seems to be an undocumented feature of the Remote Control link.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours