I'm writing a very rudimentary shell in ICE that can run BASIC programs until they are ended, and then store certain variables declared near the top of the program and "save" where the program is, so you can view programs in "hibernation", and choose programs to resume, but I'm having some trouble with the ICE command DetectVar(). What I'm trying to use it for is to look for BASIC programs with the proper format for the shell to understand.

And its name was called MultiCE, the eighth shell, by my count, for the TI-84 Plus CE!
Stop using ICE to make a shell.
Yeah, from the problems already surfacing, I think I want to switch to assembly. Can you post a link to a decent assembly tutorial? I just started programming that, and downloaded hexaedit.
https://github.com/CE-Programming/asm-docs

Most people these days seem to be writing shells in C.

Creating a shell in ICE is impossible without in-depth knowledge of assembly anyway.
I speak English, not much technical. Do you have a link for writing specifically assembly for hexaedit? I don't feel like reading 411 pages and taking 400 hours to decode them all.
Then don't even bother learning assembly.
I would not recommend trying to write a large assembly program using HexaEdit. In order to write assembly using that program, you will have to use assembly opcodes (numerical representations of assembly instructions, registers, and so on) which will become very, very tedious.

If you want to write assembly and/or C/C++ for the calculator, use the CE toolchain.
Okay. Thanks. I didn’t get that. I stayed up really late last night trying to get the toolchain to work on the Mac, and it finally worked, so I’ll use that. I’m really new to C, though, and still program mostly on-calc. Do you know how to use the DetectVar command from ICE?
Also, sorry. I was mixing up hexaedit with zeldaking’s project that allows you to write and assemble assembly on-calc.
Congratulations on getting the toolchain set up! I taught myself C as my first programming language. If you find a good book on it, stick to good coding standards, and start out writing small, test programs, you will learn it quickly.

S/jr/W wrote:
[...] Do you know how to use the DetectVar command from ICE?

Have you looked at the ICE documentation? It is what I used when I learned ICE. It will be of more help than me because I haven't used ICE in a while.

On a side note, Cemetech has a rule that users cannot make two posts one after the other in the same thread unless the second post is added 24 hours after the first one. This is called double-posting.
Captain Calc wrote:
S/jr/W wrote:
[...] Do you know how to use the DetectVar command from ICE?

Have you looked at the ICE documentation? It is what I used when I learned ICE. It will be of more help than me because I haven't used ICE in a while.

On a side note, Cemetech has a rule that users cannot make two posts one after the other in the same thread unless the second post is added 24 hours after the first one. This is called double-posting.

To add to this, I'd recommend this program by slimeenergy, which is an on-calc reference of the ICE commands. With that said, for the reasons already discussed here and all over Cemetech, I'd recommend learning C for this program (and ideally, your first C program would not be a shell).

Anyway, looking forward to more updates! You may want to make a separate forum page for MultiCE once it's a little more developed as well, instead of continuing to post here.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours