MateoConLechuga wrote:
Nice work! The decompression should be fine; it probably is just getting the wrong size as input Smile Anywho, I would also recommend making a link to the C libs in your readme Smile

Thanks! Smile I'll keep that in mind if it needs to be updated anytime soon.

My new code is uploaded to github. Please feel free to go through it and let me know if I'm doing anything that could be dangerous to the calculator. I suck at optimizing, so there's probably a whole bunch that could be done with my code to make it better/cleaner/faster.
Hello, I recently downloaded your game and I find it neat, no calculator damaging issues fortunately, but I have a few recommendations. The first one is, many times when I play this I will go for several seconds without encountering any object (asteroid, fuel, coin) maybe you could turn up the spawn count or whatever will make more items spawn more frequently. the second one is really a question, most of the time when I quit an assembly program I get a bunch of black, stuff, (I don't know what to call it) on the top of my screen. However, with this program I get it all over my screen and I am curious on why your program is doing this when none of my other assembly programs do this.

(prgmA0CAT is a shortcut I made so I don't have to type in asm(prgmCATYLIZM) all the time)
you know cesium does all that for you
After making some progress on Zombie Chase for the CE, I thought I'd give Catylizm some love too! So far, it's pretty much just updated graphics and stuff under the hood, but who knows, maybe I'll put some more features!

As you can see the background is now black (I figured it was more "realistic"), and the stars now vary in size, and I think it looks much better, but let me know what you think! The coins have been replaced by gold nuggets, and now there are two sizes of asteroids.

The font has been implemented to use gfx_SetFontData instead of just displaying sprites, and I was a bit worried because it doesn't have the border like it used to, but I think it looks fine! And lowercase letters have been added as well.

Also, it runs WAY smoother/faster than it did, but I'm sure you can tell that I'm using gfx_ScaledTransparentSprite_NoClip, so the objects just appear at the top instead of sliding onscreen. I'll probably have to compromise and use full-sized sprites again rather than scaling them up to make that possible.
Looking great! I can definitely see the difference in performance, and really like the consistent graphical style. I would like to see the starfield background move a little move slowly though, and perhaps with a parallax effect, because it looks much too fast to my eye.

For my game HailStorm CE, which followed a similar conceptof dodging asteroids falling from the top of the screen, I think that I compromised by having the asteroids appear from under a top toolbar that also displayed the score and number of asteroids destroyed, but I'm not sure if that's a viable solution for this program. Perhaps others have some input on how to solve the issue (not sure if you can).

Keep up the great work!
You're doing a fantastic job updating earlier projects. I'm excited to see what you'll do with this revamp Smile
epsilon5 wrote:
Looking great! I can definitely see the difference in performance, and really like the consistent graphical style. I would like to see the starfield background move a little move slowly though, and perhaps with a parallax effect, because it looks much too fast to my eye.

For my game HailStorm CE, which followed a similar conceptof dodging asteroids falling from the top of the screen, I think that I compromised by having the asteroids appear from under a top toolbar that also displayed the score and number of asteroids destroyed, but I'm not sure if that's a viable solution for this program. Perhaps others have some input on how to solve the issue (not sure if you can).

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I realize the screenshot is a bit jittery, but it is actually much smoother than it looks, so I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "too fast." Regardless, I did slow it down slightly. I ended up pre-scaling the sprites before using convimg, and then to save space, I used the zx7 compression option. It still runs smooth, so I think I'm happy with this option.

Alvajoy123 wrote:
You're doing a fantastic job updating earlier projects. I'm excited to see what you'll do with this revamp Smile

Thanks! I will try to keep working on old projects so long as I have the motivation. Razz

Here's a new screenshot:

(Like I said, screenshots are jittery, but the actual gameplay is pretty smooth.)

Not much has changed except for the sprite compression and the speed of the stars/objects, and I updated the flame for the jetpack. I would like to update the side panels as well, so I think that will be what I do next.
I'm not sure, that looks pretty smooth to me. And I meant the speed that the star background is moving at, which seemed very fast before (which you seem to have caught on to). The new speed for the background is much more reasonable in my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing the rework of those side panels, as they already look great. Maybe you could make them have some sort of more metallic/three-dimensional appearance, if that's reasonable to do. Another suggestion could possibly be to animate the flame for the jetpack a little more extensively, as while the current flipping animation is fine, it's too slow to look believable in my eyes. I'd either add more frames or just make it flip faster.

Looking forward to more updates!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours