I was wondering thoughts on adding a support link to file download descriptions so authors could include their related Cemetech project thread or some other support page to assist users with questions?

I know that there is usually info in a readme etc however I'm mainly saying this because there are some instances where people are using the file review section to ask questions, likely because they don't know there is a more appropriate place instead?

Cesium for example: https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/1372/x2479

I would leave it up to the author to populate though as some authors may not want their project threads automatically linked or would prefer github or their personal website.

Though it also might be a good way to encourage forum participation too Smile.
This is actually a great idea. I endorse it.
This is an excellent idea Smile. I'd love to link my threads to my projects in Cemetech's archive!
Fun fact: this sort of thing was first discussed in a private bug more than 4 years ago:

Since it was mentioned again, I spent some time to implement it. You can specify an ~arbitrary number of URLs and description for each when uploading a file (or update to a file). If anybody who's a file author wants to set some for existing files without making it an update (which doesn't seem very useful if the file itself hasn't changed), feel free to comment here with what you want changed and I can make it happen.
Excellent. Please link Colossal Cave Adventure to its "Forum Thread" and "GitHub" and Programmer's Calculator to its "Forum Thread" and "GitHub".
Great work!
Perhaps the page for submitting reviews could mention that these links would be a better place to post questions, to reduce the number of people using reviews for that?

Here are the links for my files:
Taxi Simulator:Mahjong Solitaire:Tower Defense CE:Dino Run CE:CEleste:
I've added links for the files requested above.
Nice!
Can the following links be added?

for TransliteratorCE:

For StoryGameCE:

for BoardGameCE

for Day Of Week calculator ICE, BASIC and LITE
This is a very good idea. TI-Planet had a similar idea where programs in the download section list news articles in which they were mentioned. Being able to add a Cemetech link on our download page would be nice. I am unsure if external links would be a good idea, though, since some authors might just link to a personal webpage and years later it will be replaced with an adult site.
I've added Privacy Dragon's links to the listed files.

Quote:
I am unsure if external links would be a good idea, though, since some authors might just link to a personal webpage and years later it will be replaced with an adult site.
I'm not really concerned about something like that. I imagine anybody who'd actually link to a personal site is probably also going to maintain that pretty well. Everybody else would link to some large service that's unlikely to go away completely (like Github, as we've seen thus far).
Agreed-and as that would certainly be grounds for a ban, I doubt that any dedicated user would do that, especially considering that the forums would be a much easier and more public place to share commercial, offensive, or inappropriate content (as is the basis of the spam on this site).
Oh I didn't mean that the user would intentionally do that, but in my 20 years in the TI community I've seen many personal websites disappear due to lack of maintenance due to the author quitting calculator programming and forgetting about his website or because the web hosting provider went out of business and some adult or scam site company bought the domain name or sub-domain (like what happened to one of Omnimaga's old subdomain once).
This is a great idea! Tari, would you mind adding the following links for me?

Alien Breed CE
and
Alien Breed 5 (83P/84P)
Forum post: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12244

Banchor CE
Forum post: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14118

Spaze Invaders CE
Forum post: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12473

Sqrxz CE
Forum post: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13298

Thanks! Smile
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Oh I didn't mean that the user would intentionally do that, but in my 20 years in the TI community I've seen many personal websites disappear due to lack of maintenance due to the author quitting calculator programming and forgetting about his website or because the web hosting provider went out of business and some adult or scam site company bought the domain name or sub-domain (like what happened to one of Omnimaga's old subdomain once).

Got it, looks like I misunderstood (although I could still see this potentially happening).
JamesV wrote:
Tari, would you mind adding the following links for me?
Taken care of.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours