I've had this idea for a while now, but I really started working on it today.

Here's what I have so far:

I plan to have some basic tools and apps included with it.

It is still VERY WIP, but as soon as I make a somewhat decent version, I'll release it.
Seems interesting, I look forward to updates Smile .

Did you know that you can't detect other programs using TI-basic, I'd recommend using ICE if you're working on a calculator, or The C Toolchain if you're writing on a PC.
Looking good so far, that taskbar/clock setup is very reminiscent of Windows or a similar OS. There was a similar project a while ago, Menus OS by calclover2514 that may be worth looking into if you're in need of some further inspiration for the project, as it's another TI-Basic "shell" with games/utilities as you seem to be describing.

Looking forward to see how this develops!
This looks like a neat project! I'm excited to see what you do with this.
epsilon5 wrote:
Looking good so far, that taskbar/clock setup is very reminiscent of Windows or a similar OS. There was a similar project a while ago, Menus OS by calclover2514 that may be worth looking into if you're in need of some further inspiration for the project, as it's another TI-Basic "shell" with games/utilities as you seem to be describing.

You mean that shell that has a tad bit of ASM in it? Since detecting programs isn't really something one can do in TI−Basic, MenusOS just comes with about 180 pre−built=in programs.
Alvajoy123 wrote:
Seems interesting, I look forward to updates Smile .

Did you know that you can't detect other programs using TI-basic, I'd recommend using ICE if you're working on a calculator, or The C Toolchain if you're writing on a PC.

That's a good idea! But I'd like to keep it as close to BASIC as possible, so I may have to have some neat built-in programs to make up for that, or just drop BASIC and go for ICE.
epsilon5 wrote:

Thanks! Menus was one of the projects that inspired me to make this one.
Thanks to everyone for showing your interest in this project so far! I'll have something more interesting to show you "soon" Wink
UPDATE TIME!

I added credits, the date as well as the time, and I straightened out some design issues. I also made the calculate percent program (as an example for what execution may look like)

I noticed that in the screenshot it looks like all programs will have an option on the menu. How do you plan to do that if the user has a lot of programs?

One simple way that you can do program detection and also not have to include all the sub-programs in the shell would be to have a user-created file where they could enter their programs they wanted to be included in the shell, and then the shell could execute them. I'm not sure how well this would work in your case (I don't even know if it makes sense) but maybe it will help. Smile
TIny_Hacker wrote:
I noticed that in the screenshot it looks like all programs will have an option on the menu. How do you plan to do that if the user has a lot of programs?

One simple way that you can do program detection and also not have to include all the sub-programs in the shell would be to have a user-created file where they could enter their programs they wanted to be included in the shell, and then the shell could execute them. I'm not sure how well this would work in your case (I don't even know if it makes sense) but maybe it will help. Smile

To answer your first question, I will have an option just saying "apps" or something similar that opens a menu with the programs in a neater, TI-BASIC list.

Your idea about the file with the list of the programs the user wants to execute may be what I do for program execution, actually, if that's possible in TI-BASIC. Thanks for the idea Very Happy
UPDATE:

After a while of struggling with TI-BASIC, I finally decided to drop TI-BASIC and roll with ICE, C, or assembly (most likely ICE).

(Don't worry, the design of micrOS will stay the same!)
nanobot567 wrote:
UPDATE:

After a while of struggling with TI-BASIC, I finally decided to drop TI-BASIC and roll with ICE, C, or assembly (most likely ICE).

(Don't worry, the design of micrOS will stay the same!)

This reminds me of Xenon's first steps from ICE to C. I think you should start with ICE it's much easier to learn and it's an on-calc programming language.
Alvajoy123 wrote:
I think you should start with ICE it's much easier to learn and it's an on-calc programming language.

I personally wouldn't - it's no longer being developed, so you're kinda out of luck if you run into a bug with it. It also has a lot of the same issues BASIC does, due to their similarity, so I would only use it if you need something on-calc. I would recommend C instead - there is a lot of documentation and examples for it, so it's relatively easy to learn.
If you are making a shell, make it in C if you don't want to spend hours tearing out your hair or asking other people to write assembly snippets for you.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
If you are making a shell, make it in C if you don't want to spend hours tearing out your hair or asking other people to write assembly snippets for you.

Mateo, I think the idea is that it's in BASIC so only the ASM subroutines (if there are any) need to be remade for other calls, instead of the whole darn thing. Also, the whole point of this project is that it's in BASIC as opposed to ASM or C...

No wait, nanobot just said that he'd be switching to ICe or something. Ah, well. The point remains -- if a shell is in TI-BASIC, no porting is needed other than some subroutines.
I'm choosing C as the language micrOS will be programmed in!

Here are some responses to your replies:

Alvajoy123 wrote:
This reminds me of Xenon's first steps from ICE to C. I think you should start with ICE it's much easier to learn and it's an on-calc programming language.

It is much easier to learn, but I feel like C may be a better choice because of its versatility.

MateoConLechuga wrote:

Yeah, C is just easier to write in general, and I couldn't write good assembly to save my life.

darkwater4213 wrote:
The point remains -- if a shell is in TI-BASIC, no porting is needed other than some subroutines.

That's part of the reason why I started with TI-BASIC. It's on-calc, easy to port assembly code to, and easy to program in general. I just switched to C because it's much easier to type on a computer, and my code got completely out of hand really quickly.

(Development may start this weekend!)
Well, progress has been made, even though its hardly anything:

File listing and executing works, but it is still very buggy and hardly works.

Planned features:
- Dark mode/light mode toggling
- Built-in tools
- Functioning code
Looking good so far, that splash screen looks very nice. Any screenshots of that file listing/execution, and what kind of built-in tools were you planning?

Looking forward to more updates!
The project is coming together nicely, Keep up the good work! Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours