» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
tr1p1ea wrote:
Looks very nice! Although I don't mind lower res backgrounds the full res one looks really nice Smile.

Also looking at the time and trying to decide if you've been up early ... or up late Very Happy

Thanks! I think I'm committing to the full-res wallpapers at this point, as the way they're implemented doesn't require any buffer space (they're decompressed directly to the graphics buffer). Besides, they look better anyway.

And as for the time, it's wrong-it was 6 hours since the calc last reset, which I think is pretty good for testing/debugging, though this wasn't of continuous programming because I do have a life. I assume you guessed that though...
I like the changes. I'm definitively updating when this comes out. I hope I can make it look like Windows like the first. Smile
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
I like the changes. I'm definitively updating when this comes out. I hope I can make it look like Windows like the first. Smile

Thanks! And if all goes according to plan, it'll be even more customizable than the first version.

Overview
I'm back with another progress update, this time mainly focusing on bug fixes. Additionally, I've changed a lot of how windows and OPTIX 3 systems in general work, which should mean they're more stable and usable.

Screenshot

Announcement
This is probably long overdue, but I'm going to be taking a brief break from the project (and probably most Cemetech/programming-related stuff) in order to focus on college applications for the next few months. I'll resume it in January 2022 at the latest, which does unfortunately mean that the originally-planned December 2021 release isn't going to happen. I'm changing the status of the project to "On Hold" for this reason. With that said, please know that I do have every intention to finish the project, as I feel like I've made too much progress not to, and really want people to be able to use and appreciate it at some point.

Changelog
[added] windows can now be closed via the window title bar menu in cursor-based mode ("X")
[added] moving a window now displays a box previewing new location (like Windows 9x)
[improved] menu selection now not rendered when not selected in cursor-based mode
[improved] start menu now reverts to previous selection when closed
[improved] rewrite of core OPTIX GUI update loop
[improved] start menu now closes after opening new window
[fixed] clock sometimes not displayed
[fixed] battery icon could get stuck at 0% (but only when clock is invisible, see above)
[fixed] potential reset when opening wallpaper picker
[fixed] clock only displayed "AM"
[fixed] first menu option selection box not displayed when in cursor-based mode
[fixed] menus could be updated when not hovered over in cursor-based mode
[fixed] text in window title bar could be selected (which we don't want)
[fixed] menus behind a window can be selected when in cursor-based mode
[fixed] window titles could be reduced to only the last character in certain scenarios
Good luck on your college applications! I wish you well. Smile

Also nice updates. When the new version comes out I'll be sure to install it on my calculator and redo a Windows 95 theme.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Good luck on your college applications! I wish you well. Smile

Also nice updates. When the new version comes out I'll be sure to install it on my calculator and redo a Windows 95 theme.

Thanks! And that reminds me, this was my attempt at a Windows 95 theme a while ago:

This look should be achievable by simply changing the color scheme and a few settings once the final program is released. Also, the planned theming feature could just let you install it via an appvar, once that's implemented.
epsilon5 wrote:
It's been a while since the last post on this, hasn't it...

Anyway, OPTIX 3 is basically done, and I have a screenshot of some progress I made to show, made using the new library in 20 minutes or so:

Nothing much yet, but know I'm working on the project, and have been consistently for the last month or so. I can't wait to show you all what the new GUI library is capable of, so please stay tuned for more updates and progress reports in the imminent future.

Where can I get the optix library?
m1c wrote:
Where can I get the optix library?

Hey m1c-OPTIX 3 is not currently public, which I'm considering changing as CC26 is said to be coming up relatively soon (so I could use it for the contest). The issue that I made the repository private for should (?) be able to be resolved fairly easily given a proper license and the complexity of the codebase, so I would certainly be willing to try having VYSION be open source again.

With that said, I haven't been working on this project recently, given the fact that I've been working on college applications and that my primary computer broke a few weeks ago (although I do have another one now, which seems like it will work great based on the very limited time I've been able to use it).

The old VYSION and OPTIX 2 repositories are available here and here, respectively, but please note that quite literally everything has been rewritten from the ground up for VYSION 2 and OPTIX 3. Still, definitely have a look if you're interested.
Heyo! I'm messing around with Vysion, and a really annoying bug has popped up where cut and pasting programs sometimes leads to the program not appearing in the paste location, but disappearing from the cut location, effectively deleting the program from Vysion's view. The only way to get it back that I've found is to delete the file appvar, and go back to Vysion to make it again. Seeing that Vysion 2 is going to be a thing, I hope it doesn't appear there either.
Itzz-Me wrote:
Heyo! I'm messing around with Vysion, and a really annoying bug has popped up where cut and pasting programs sometimes leads to the program not appearing in the paste location, but disappearing from the cut location, effectively deleting the program from Vysion's view. The only way to get it back that I've found is to delete the file appvar, and go back to Vysion to make it again. Seeing that Vysion 2 is going to be a thing, I hope it doesn't appear there either.

Hey Itzz-Me-Thanks for the bug report! This issue has already been reported, and I unfortunately don't have an easy fix for it. You do have the right idea deleting the file appvar though (it's a bit easier to do in the "Reset" section of the settings menu, if you haven't found that already).

And VYSION 2 should not have this same issue, as the filesystem is being completely rewritten. The new version's filesystem should be much smaller, stabler, faster, and allow all of the functionality of the original, while also fixing irritating issues like this. Stay tuned for updates on that, as it'll be one of my first priorities after getting most of the settings menu and various bugs worked out.
amazing graphics in the 2.00.
given that such sharpness is possible with the ce why hasn't somebody made it so that you(as in the user) can watch movies. Like download the file format it to what ever it needs to be and then stick it on a usb drive with an adapter. then we could all watch movies during that annoying time when there is still one test out so you(as in the user) can't talk or do any thing or even study. I know the usb part has been done and people do gifs so what is lacking assuming you(as in the user) are okay with using an external usb drive?
fowl-fandango wrote:
given that such sharpness is possible with the ce why hasn't somebody made it so that you(as in the user) can watch movies. Like download the file format it to what ever it needs to be and then stick it on a usb drive with an adapter.

Yeah, that would be neat.
fowl-fandango wrote:

Thanks! And the post commandblockguy mentioned is a good one-HD Picture Viewer CE by TheLastMillenial and Picture/Text/Video Viewer CE by marcrob01 are some on-calc picture and/or video viewers that come to mind as well. Additionally, there are a few other projects similar to jacobly's that allow CE-computer screen mirroring or control-a quick forum search should give you those results (or maybe someone can back me up here, it's late and I don't have the time to search for them).
A few requests: Create a Windows .exe program that takes a specified folder and turns it into a VYSION filesystem appvar, but ignores anything that isn't calc-compatible and automatically extracts .b84 and .8xg and .8cg files (virtually, in the appvar).

(This probably sounds confusing... Neutral )
darkwater4213 wrote:
A few requests: Create a Windows .exe program that takes a specified folder and turns it into a VYSION filesystem appvar, but ignores anything that isn't calc-compatible and automatically extracts .b84 and .8xg and .8cg files (virtually, in the appvar).

(This probably sounds confusing... Neutral )

Cool idea!

The implementation is a little unclear though, here are some questions that I have:
-How would this take into account things that could potentially be in the filesystem? Would they be appended to it, and if so, where would they be appended?
-The filesystem in VYSION 2 is separate from the VAT. How would the case of variables being in the folder but not on the calc be handled?
-VYSION 2 requires that folder names be at most 8 characters long, and that they contain only ASCII characters. How would issues involving either of those be resolved?
-What about Linux/Mac users?

I do really like this idea, and if we can figure out answers to these questions, I definitely think it would be worth giving a shot at some point.

EDIT: I've posted this in the #feature-requests channel of my Discord channel as well.

Overview
Merry Christmas, everyone! It's update time.

I've applied to 8 colleges (and counting), including all of my top picks, so I have time to work on VYSION 2 again. The progress I made since 0.0.29 mostly focuses on the basic structure of the filesystem and the settings menu, as well as many bug fixes and improvements. I'll go more in depth on the filesystem and settings menu in future updates, so this will be a smaller post.

Screenshot
Here's a screenshot showing the current operation of the shell, as well as the rough appearance of the new settings menu (GUI for that is still a work in progress). Another small addition that's worth noting is that of the battery charging icon, which will display a little lightning bolt when the calculator is plugged in and not when it's not. This is tested and working on hardware (CEmu doesn't register as being charging, so I forced it to be on for this screenshot).

Changelog
[added] basic format of settings menu
[added] menus can now have child elements that are aligned to options
[added] basic filesystem structure
[added] battery charging indicator
[improved] start menu behavior (correct windows now opened)
[improved] buttons/checkboxes embedded in menus can now be triggered in box-based mode
[improved] menus now redraw background when fully redrawn (for the whole area)
[fixed] text rendering/initialization does not correctly handle newlines
[fixed] sprites redrew every loop, ignoring their needs_redraw state
[fixed] cursor accelerates when holding down opposite arrow keys (but not moving)
[fixed] invisible elements could be selectable
[fixed] menu text only displays the first character of a second word, if one is present
[fixed] menu current selection set to last option when over menu but not any option
[fixed] embedded menu widgets could update even if the selection was outside of the range
[fixed] menus with empty space could register hovering over space as over last selection
[fixed] potential reset when opening settings menu
[fixed] graphical artifacts/errors in file explorer
[fixed] very slow performance in box-based mode in settings menu (possibly after pic
[fixed] very slow performance in box-based mode in file explorer (possibly after pic
[fixed] graphical artifacts in settings menu (menus not redrawn correctly?)
nice progress! keep going Very Happy
This is looking awesome! I'm glad to hear you're still making progress, and I can't wait to see what you do next! Keep up the great work!
Itzz-Me wrote:
nice progress! keep going Very Happy
TIny_Hacker wrote:
This is looking awesome! I'm glad to hear you're still making progress, and I can't wait to see what you do next! Keep up the great work!

Thanks, both of you! The next progress update is coming within the next couple days...

Overview
Welcome back, everyone! It looks like the base that I've built for the project is starting to pay off, so I have a ton of new features to show now.

Window resizing
That's right, windows are resizable! All you have to do is hover the cursor over the edge of a window, press [enter], and drag it to be whatever size you want. The elements of the window, including the menus, will adjust to fit the available space, and everything will maintain the same centering.

File explorer
The file explorer has a slick new design, with a sidebar displaying some key locations, as well as new functionality.

Context menu
You can now right-click (by pressing [mode]) in the file explorer, or any file menu, to access more options for a specific option that are relevant for the current selection. The currently implemented ones are copy, paste, delete, and new folder. There are a few graphical issues, but I promise that it mostly works.

Taskbar
As in VYSION 1, you have a taskbar that you can put files on to quickly access them. Here, that's done by copying them to the Taskbar directory. You can also right-click on the taskbar to access the context menu for those files as well, and it'll behave just like the real file explorer.

Miscellaneous
Besides these, there were many other improvements and additions, including improved start menu behavior, filesystem backend improvements, bug fixes, and much more.

Testing
With this update, I've decided to start the first testing phase for the program. The first phase will be only for the "Elite Testers" on my Discord server, but will be slowly rolled out to others as well, so join that server if you're interested in testing pre-release versions of the program.

Conclusion
This is the biggest update that I've had for some time, so please post feedback, feature requests, and suggestions in the forum. I look forward to see what you all think of the program!

Changelog
[added] file explorer sidebar, which can be clicked to navigate through the filesystem
[added] text can now have plain background
[added] settings saving
[added] basic window resizing
[added] cursor indicators for indicating when a window can be moved or resized
[added] window resizing box preview
[added] option for text objects to override default color
[added] basic right-click menu
[added] file copying/pasting
[added] taskbar program launcher
[added] file/folder deletion (from the filesystem)
[improved] filesystem backend to use relative rather than absolute address
[improved] fixed the vast majority of warnings while compiling (except for 5)
[improved] cleaned up settings menu code
[improved] window moving now uses center of cursor
[improved] start menu and right-click menu opening time
[improved] active window restored on closing right-click menu or start menu
[improved] reduced stack usage (by ~2800 bytes)
[improved] right-clicking on empty space now displays more relevant options
[fixed] windows/window title bars could be rendered out of order
[fixed] window title bar color not updated correctly
[fixed] file explorer menus (not special) do not scroll properly
[fixed] non-leftmost columns cannot be selected in cursor-based mode in menus whe
[fixed] slow menu performance when hovering over the last visible option in the m
[fixed] window resize borders extend beyond window
[fixed] RAM reset when opening settings menu with program built in debug mode
[fixed] clock does not display 12 AM or 12 PM correctly
[fixed] menus could not fill all available space when the menu had been scrolled
[fixed] not all windows could be closed when exiting shell using [y=] + [clear] shortcut
[fixed] file explorer menu redrawn while hovering over empty space
[fixed] nonresizable windows indicate resizability through cursor state (they shouldn't)
[fixed] RAM reset when clicking check boxes in settings menu (cursor-based mode only)
[fixed] time display could leave graphical artifacts
[fixed] cursor "sticks" to screen edges
[fixed] temporary incorrect display of current directory in file explorer
[fixed] temporary incorrect display of current submenu in settings menu

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 11
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours