Hi, does anyone know how to use randint for lists? I keep trying, but all I get are zeroes and ones.
randInt(lowerbound,upperbound,number of elements)
so for example, if you want 10 random numbers from 1-100, you would do randInt(1,100,10)
Would I be able to use a list? (E.x. Randint(1,L5),and be able to pull one number out of that, or could I use specific numbers?
You need to select an entry out of the list to set the max- i.e. L5(1
Ok. Thank you so much!
Oxiti8 wrote:

Can I exclude certain numbers from the randint?
Ti newbie wrote:
Oxiti8 wrote:

No. You can only set the maximum and minimum.
Oxiti8 wrote:

To choose a random list element:
Code:
L₅(randInt(1,dim(L₅
If you are trying to pick a single random entry out of a list, you want something like:
Code:
L₁(randInt(1,dim(L₁
That is, randInt should be used to pick the index into the list, because it cannot pick an element out of a list directly.

If you want more than one random entry out of a list (with or without replacement), you can generate multiple indices using randInt (with replacement) or randIntNoRep (without replacement) & then use a loop to do the indexing to collect the elements into a new list.

If what you want is a random number between the lowest & highest elements in a list (regardless of whether that exact number appears in the list), you want something like:

Code:
randInt(min(L₁),max(L₁

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours