Code:
:DCS
"icon is here"
:TAGS
"Action
"Shooter
"Platformer
etc.

You get the idea. Cesium would be able to read this, and put items at the top of the program list:
Programs
Action
Shooters
Platformers
Puzzle
Casual
(Programs themselves)

When you select a tag item (say, Puzzle), it would take you to a sunscreen that looks like:

Back
FRENZY
PEGS
etc.

Much like the virtual filesystem in Vysion. The big difference is that a program can have multiple tags, whereas in Vysion, a program can only be in one (virtual) folder at a time.

Do with this what you will, but I would really like to see this implemented, along with a working USB interface.
darkwater4213 wrote:
Do with this what you will, but I would really like to see this implemented, along with a working USB interface.

USB already works. And why can't you implement this yourself?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
darkwater4213 wrote:

USB already works. And why can't you implement this yourself?

I've had some problems with the USB and now it doesn't work at all just ram resets.
Invalid_Jake wrote:
I've had some problems with the USB and now it doesn't work at all just ram resets.

Gee thanks for that helpful and considerate bug report.
I had a similar bug with cesium a while back. I deleted the config file or whatever and it worked fine afterwards.
The latest version of Cesium and USB files work!

Thank you, Mateo

Kind regards,
-tim
Why does Cesium appear as an app on the calculator? I thought nobody could factor the 2048 but key to add stuff like that?
That's only an issue when transferring apps to the calculator - Cesium uses an assembly program as an installer to install itself despite not having a signature. This means that it will get deleted whenever you enter test mode, and you also can't send it from one calculator to another (unless you transfer the installer itself, not the app).
I'm having issues with the USB drive. It says I lack the libraries USBDRVCE, MSDDRVCE, and FATDRVCE, but they are not with the C libs on the GitHub. I've checked on the computer, and the drive is FAT32. Do you know where I can find the libraries?
S/jr/W wrote:
I'm having issues with the USB drive. It says I lack the libraries USBDRVCE, MSDDRVCE, and FATDRVCE, but they are not with the C libs on the GitHub. I've checked on the computer, and the drive is FAT32. Do you know where I can find the libraries?

just update cesium you don't need them anymore
Is Mateo working on the program tags idea? It sounds really useful.
S/jr/W wrote:
Is Mateo working on the program tags idea? It sounds really useful.

If Mateo is willing to collaborate on this, I'd like to make some kind of generalized system that would work with VYSION as well--adding some bytes after the program description that would indicate what tags were present (few bytes indicating tags are present, number of tags, and then a byte for each tag, following some kind of preset format like 0=games, 1=utilities, 2=data, etc.) is the solution that immediately comes to mind, and wouldn't break compatibility with existing programs. Another, perhaps more elegant, solution would just be to use bitfields over 3 bytes or so, allowing for any combination of 24 or whatever different tags, and with the advantage of not needing that size byte.
I was thinking more along the lines of just strings... like icons, but with a different purpose.
darkwater4213 wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of just strings... like icons, but with a different purpose.

Sure, but that would take more space and would also potentially result in some other issues like case-sensitivity making some programs not appear with the correct tags--just the string for something like "Games" would be at least 5 bytes, compared to 6 for 24 possible tags using my proposed system that could be standardized (assuming a 3-byte string indicating that tags are present).
But how would one be possibly able to edit that without HexaEdit... and possibly breaking the editor?
darkwater4213 wrote:
But how would one be possibly able to edit that without HexaEdit... and possibly breaking the editor?

You could if you really wanted to, but the shells would probably just have to do it for you for most users--and yes, I guess this would only work for assembly programs, though perhaps some modification could be done to allow it to work for TI-Basic programs as well (not sure what that would look like).
I was talking about Basic from the outset... A program's header might look like:

Code:

prgmHEADDEMO
::"Description
::"(256-char icon string)
::"(tag 1)
::"(tag 2)
::"(tag 3)
::"(etc.)
:(actual code goes here)

Does that make sense? Tags should be case-insensitive, so "Shooter" and "shooter" should be filed in the same category. Similarly... uh... I forget where I was going with this.
But there it is. Smile

EDIT: so, I didn't really make it very clear how it ought to be organized in a shell. It would essentially be like folders:

Code:

[  ] Apps
[  } USB Drive
[  > Tag 1
[  > Tag 2
(etc.)
(programs)

When you click on the Tag 2 option, for instance, it would show a list of all programs that have tag 2 present in the header. (apologies for the terrible attempt at ascii art for tags and folders and whatnot)
The shell shouldbable to infer what is part of the header and what is not. Wherever the indentation ends, the header ends. Simple as that. This would ensure backwards-compatibility with older programs, without newer programs messing up older shells. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to pass arguments for subroutines and whatnot through Ans, but that was already a problem with icons anyways, so no harm no foul.
No.
Hm. Why not, may I ask? I would certainly appreciate it if you would give a reason instead of simply a blunt, unqualified, unjustified "No," and instead showed your line of reasoning which assumably led to this conclusion.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 22 of 24
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours