TI Connect CE and my TI 84 Plus CE keep saying my archive is full when I try to transfer files, but on TI Connect CE, it says I have 192 kB of archive available. Does anyone know why?
Thanks for any help!
What and how many files are you trying to transfer?
I am trying to transfer some ROM files for the TI BOY CE, the two files take up 88 kB together.
This is a bit of shot in the dark, but it might be an invalid on-calculator file name. TI Connect (non-CE) is infamous for giving error messages that have nothing to do with the actual problem and I think TI Connect CE didn't fully resolve that.

Another possibility is that the archive has no single contiguous segment of space large enough to hold the file. The archive is divided into 64 K sections called sectors, and a file must reside entirely in a single sector. (Apps are governed by different rules.) So if you have 19 sectors with 10 K of free space in each sector, you have a total of 190 K of free space, but no single sector has enough room for a 20 K file. With only 192 K of free space, it's entirely conceivable that no single sector has enough free space for a 44 K file. So try removing unnecessary files, especially large ones. Also try removing all your small files, forcing a garbage collect (it's a command in the catalog), and resending them, which might help optimize the layout. (The OS's garbage collection logic isn't too sophisticated, and finding an optimal solution requires a sophisticated algorithm.)
bpf99 wrote:
I am trying to transfer some ROM files for the TI BOY CE, the two files take up 88 kB together.

Here's a few guesses as to what might be the problem. Did you put the ROMs into the ROM converter here? If you used a different converter or didn't convert the ROMs before sending them, they might not work on the calculator. How much archive space does it say you have on the calculator (In the memory menu, not in TI-Connect CE)?
This is a somewhat common error for those using TI-Boy CE. DrDnar's explanation is exactly right. Due to the way the Archive storage works, you can't fill it up like you would expect. Although you can't send any more ROMs, you can still send smaller programs.
When you unarchive files or delete unarchived files, they don't actually go away. They remain in their section in the hardware's archive, but they're not accessible to the user. This is why programs like Archive Undelete work. Press [2nd][0] and scroll down a bit 'till you get to the commands that start with G. "GarbageCollect" remedies this quirk of the technical lack of Archive space.
ShinyGardevoir wrote:
Press [2nd][0] and scroll down a bit 'till you get to the commands that start with G.

You can also type a letter to jump straight to that section of the catalog. That's why the alpha indicator turns on when you open the catalog menu.
DrDnar wrote:
ShinyGardevoir wrote:
Press [2nd][0] and scroll down a bit 'till you get to the commands that start with G.

You can also type a letter to jump straight to that section of the catalog. That's why the alpha indicator turns on when you open the catalog menu.
I didn't remember which key that was off the top of my head.
TIny_Hacker wrote:
bpf99 wrote:

Here's a few guesses as to what might be the problem. Did you put the ROMs into the ROM converter here? If you used a different converter or didn't convert the ROMs before sending them, they might not work on the calculator. How much archive space does it say you have on the calculator (In the memory menu, not in TI-Connect CE)?

Yes I did use that converter. Also it said I had the same amount of space on the calculator.
DrDnar wrote:
This is a bit of shot in the dark, but it might be an invalid on-calculator file name. TI Connect (non-CE) is infamous for giving error messages that have nothing to do with the actual problem and I think TI Connect CE didn't fully resolve that.

Another possibility is that the archive has no single contiguous segment of space large enough to hold the file. The archive is divided into 64 K sections called sectors, and a file must reside entirely in a single sector. (Apps are governed by different rules.) So if you have 19 sectors with 10 K of free space in each sector, you have a total of 190 K of free space, but no single sector has enough room for a 20 K file. With only 192 K of free space, it's entirely conceivable that no single sector has enough free space for a 44 K file. So try removing unnecessary files, especially large ones. Also try removing all your small files, forcing a garbage collect (it's a command in the catalog), and resending them, which might help optimize the layout. (The OS's garbage collection logic isn't too sophisticated, and finding an optimal solution requires a sophisticated algorithm.)

Ah okay, I see. Thank you so much, this really helped.
I have tried to do garbage collecting already.

In the end I just deleted the easydata application because I don't have any use for it and I can't use it anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours