I want to make a website with user accounts but I cant find a good tutorial on how to do so. If someone could help me find a good tutorial or even make me one that would be great.

The website is guna be for an online RPG I'm making in PHP so if anyone could fine one that's in PHP that would be even bettter.

(PS. I have a little knowledge of PHP but not a lot of it so if anyone wants to help with the online RPG that would be great)
I also have little knowledge in PHP but asking for help will get you much farther. If you follow the example that I present as my Dynamic Web Gallery topic, I'm sure you'll get much more help than the way you are presenting this now.

You're topic is pretty broad as well. Start with the account system, get help with that. Then start working on the rest. We won't build it for you. It's a pretty complex thing to get help for in one topic on this forum. You'll also have to learn MySQL or some sort of Database to save information (unless you prefer to save your user information in flat files (i.e. .txt).

Start small and browse http://www.php.net for functions you may need to learn.

A small bump, you may want to look into Content Management Systems (CMS) packages like Joomla! or Drupal. Drupal is open source so you'll likely find something there and Joomla! is more business centered. Search their extensions before downloading and committing to one, though.
Wise words from ComicIDIOT. As you can tell from the spaghetti monstrosity that is the backend of Cemetech, I have fairly extensive experience with PHP, HTML, and MySQL databases, the three pieces that you're going to need to put together to make what you're describing. Namely, you will need to:

1) Create a database to store user accounts. Design it first, including what fields it needs: username, password hash, join datestamp, RPG stats, etc
2) Design functions that can insert into and update the user database: creating accounts, changing passwords, updating RPG stats
3) Design functions using PHP sessions to log into the site: check credentials and set session variables based on results.
OK then what exactly does joomla do. As for my PHP knowledge... I'm watching a 200 video online tutorial on PHP and I might be getting a job in web design this summer from a friends mom (she owns a custom website business). Tehe funny how my first job might be in the field I want to go into when I get older.
The link to Joomla! Was a fail on my part, I thought it was .com, not .org.

http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla.html
spud2451 wrote:
OK then what exactly does joomla do. As for my PHP knowledge... I'm watching a 200 video online tutorial on PHP and I might be getting a job in web design this summer from a friends mom (she owns a custom website business). Tehe funny how my first job might be in the field I want to go into when I get older.
Shouldn't you learn to do web coding before you get a job doing it? Very Happy Joomla and Drupal are two examples of CMSes, or Content Management Systems. Comic, I feel that either of those might be way, way too heavyweight for Spud to try to implement his own functions inside of, but mine is just one opinion.
True. I was giving suggestions and hoping he'd do some research; though that research can lead him into making stuff for that CMS instead of shying away from it. I'm positive there are some lightweight CMSes available, but I'm not familiar with any. I haven't even looked into either too much, just eyeballing both for future development of my website.

He'd learn more making a custom RPG CMS, but he'd get off the ground faster with a well written framework he can build into or onto.
So, I was 15 when I wrote this. And to think I waked in half way through chemetech as a whole. Almost 10 years here.
spud2451 wrote:
So, I was 15 when I wrote this. And to think I waked in half way through chemetech as a whole. Almost 10 years here.
Welcome back, almost ten years later. Out of curiosity, do you still programs/did you go into software development of any sort professionally?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours