I know there is already a version of super smash brothers in Axe!
However, I was wondering if it would be worth my time to make another one, as I feel like it would be a good project to get my feet wet a bit more with Axe programming.
The reason I specify super smash LAND is that it was a gameboy style demake that has a similar style of what I would go for.
The main difference is that my version wouldn't have zooming in and out like the other one, it would either be a static screen or a scrolling screen that centers around your character.
I also want to add at least 4 characters, and unlockable characters too (if i get that far).
Maybe even "CPU"s! Imagine that: a computer-controlled opponent on a calculator!

I will need a lot of help/advice for this, but feel the result will be worth it.
My biggest problems that I see are:
- making collisions work
- projectiles
- Reading and writing to appvars
- making all the a sprites!

As of now, the characters I wanna add are kirby, Link, and Luigi. (not mario screw that)

Any advice or ideas are welcome!
You could maybe inspire yourself from Kart Fighters for the NES. It's a pirate clone of Street Fighter with Mario characters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kart_Fighter

Oh and finally a Mario-related game where Mario isn't the main character. Very Happy
Clearly there is a need for Bowser and Pichu Razz
Alright, I will add Pichu instead of Pikachu, and maybe add bowser (and mega man cuz why not) as unlockables.
Also, big question:
Should I add Ruben? Or characters from some games on the ti 84+?? That would be fun Smile
Any ideas would be appriciated!
Thanks for Kart fighters, I will look at that.
alright i finished my first sprite:

this static sprite can move around the screen and flips when you move left vs right.
i want to add a walking animation, and a jumping one, then i will add physics to the game!
i am making kirby first because the sprites will be the easiest in my opinion.
I like it - are you able to code for it on a PC and use an emulator as well? (Backing up work, faster development and so you don't have to take a photo of you calc too).

SSB on calc is definitely possible and there has been a couple of attempts over the year (including one myself that I never finished lol).
No, I don't have a pc or a rom for an emulator, sorry. I will have to take pictures of my calculator.
I have also seriously edited the code to add the stage! Right now it is based off of final destination from melee - more pictures soon!
I have once again decided to scrap a project in favor of something new.
I have decided I am going to make a similar project in PyGame, as I think I may be able to put it on some website like newgrounds or steam or something and make money off of it. (After all, being broke is not fun)
I am gonna make a new thread for it.
Sorry to disappoint anyone, but this project is was over my head in terms of axe programming on a calculator.
I will make a new thread sometime this week with the new project, an overview, and a bunch of ideas I have (no first party characters from other games, sorry).
My main idea is it will be a smash-style fighting game with characters I like from youtube content creators (the creators willing, of course) or just random characters I come up with.
Once again, sorry if this disappoints anyone, I just am literally unable to complete this project, as my axe knowledge is not that great.
You've posted tens of projects you haven't started or even made progress. This is unsurprising.
You aren't gonna make money from calculator games, this is a hobby that people do because it's fun to blow middleschoolers' minds with 1337 4@X and to learn how to write code. All of your current projects and any that you start are going to be too hard until you buckle down and learn how to do things right from making other stuff, you skill will improve over time.

Also you just described Rivals of Aether and it's terrifying workshop projects.
Aright, thanks King Dub Dub for the productive feedback. I agree that money is not to be made from calculator games, and I have fun making them.
I know of Rivals of Aether (my friend owns it). My main point of making the other game was to learn PyGame more than I know it. I am still working on Ricardo's game.
I just don't know axe well enough to make something as complex as this.

And how does MateoConLechuga get away with trolling me so hard? I get I'm an easy target, but geez, get a life. I would *really* like MateoC to respond to this, as I really could use a beatdown right now. I'm not depressed for once.
I'd say the only real way to make money off calculator games is the following:

-Original Soundtrack that can be downloaded as music files on Bandcamp or something. It could be a recording of the on-calc game soundtrack if the program can play music and sound, or if the game controls a computer at distance to play tracks there when the calculator is connected.
-If too many people at school asks you to send them calculator games and files, you could charge $0.25-$1 per person.

Otherwise even a PC game on Steam or its DLC's will have an hard time selling unless it's a big AAA title or a title with lots of good marketing. I sold 99 copies of Superstar Hero PC game soundtrack in 2 years on Steam for a total of $54 and 100% of my sales were when the soundtrack was 40-60% off or during special sale events.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours