Should I use text sprites for the cars?
Yes! The graphical improvements are worth it.
 66%  [ 2 ]
No, it causes too much slowdown.
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Got it, thanks for the explanation!

(also, these are the first words that I have typed on Cemetech with my new mechanical keyboard! yay!)
V0.7 - Introduction to Car Specific races, some Graphical upgrades, Tier 1 Crew (The Flames) completed.

What this update brings is mostly graphical- the garage menus look a lot nicer when switching pages, the finish line is an actual finish line now. I've finished the first Tier's crew - All 5 races that make up The Flames are now playable. I won't spoil any extra aspects of its characters here though. (The same will be done for the next 2 crews when I finish them- you'll have to play the game upon it's release)

Now, time to address the final single-player mode in the game: Car Specific races.

Car specific races are well, car specific. This mode will require you to get all 30 cars in the game to complete it. Every race is tailor made for that specific car it requires, and uses the new ai system from crew battles. The races are in the order that cars had been added in the game- First the Sivic Si, then followed by the Oxiti Increceba, then the Beetle, then so on and so forth.

Because the Increceba can only be obtained by beating the crew battle mode, this effectively means that Car Specific will likely be the last mode you face in this game- which is fitting, as it tests your mastery of upgrading and drivng each and every car.

There's a great reward for beating Car Specific mode, but the details on it aren't finalized and as such I'll save it for later.

I suppose I should also mention I've added 4 new cars since the last update- 2 of them being Tier 2 vehicles, which have been lacking so far. Expect a lot more of those as I work on the Tier 2 Crew Battles.
V0.8 - Variable race length, Tier 1 crew battle cutscene finished, and Car Specific races finished(sort of)

In the past week, I've made a fair bit of progress. All 16 of the car specific races are now finished (I've only made 16 of 30 cars though, so it's not really "finished") Of course, that doesn't make much of a difference until unlocking the Increceba is possible...

Anyway, onto the main new feature: variable race length. Races can now be up to 4 times as long as normal! Here's a showcase of it via the regulation races:

That being said, the only other mode that will use this expanded length is Crew Battle - Tier 2 will use double length, and Tier 3 quadruple length.

There's also been a quality of life improvement: you can now rev slower by pressing any button that isnt 2nd (or ON) while the count down is running. this slow rev increases the RPM by 2*(how much rpm the car loses per cycle when not revving), which should make it easier to land a perfect start.

You may have seen the filesize dip back down below 10KB earlier this week in SAX from optimizations- well, it's back up to 10.4KB, but not without reason:

The Crew Battle mode is fundamentally a sort of story mode, so to flesh that out a bit more I've expanded the README to have more backstory on characters and crews as a whole. I've also added a detail from CSR Racing: The crew leader conversations that take place between Tte crew leader you just demolished and the crew leader from the next tier up.

There's even the "X" effect after the conversation finishes:
CSRACING DEMO RELEASE

DOWNLOAD: https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/2182/x2418

I have been working on this game pretty much nonstop for the past 1 and a half months now. I felt a need to get something out there as a way to let people see it, so I've created a demo version!

This demo takes V0.8 and saws off things that are unfinished or unplayable to make it a more streamlined experience.

It's been submitted to the Cemetech archives, so if you play it definitely give feedback on what's good and what still needs work.
V0.8.1: Cars, cars, and more cars

This update brings 2 new things: the first Tier 2 crew member, Ker, and 7 new cars, 6 of which being in Tier 2.

Here's an updated car list of all 24 cars now included in the game:

1*: Sivic Si Coupe (2010) - The starter car. - Tier 1
2*: Oxiti Increceba - Beat the crew battle mode to unlock! - Tier 3
3: Beetle (2004) - Available Economy Car Mondays - Tier 1
4: Golf GIT (2005) - Available FWD Fridays - Tier 1
5: 458 Italy (2011) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3
6: 'Vette ZR1 (2009) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3
7: Dino 256 GT - Available Sunday Drive Sundays (Classic cars) - Tier 1
8: CRX SIR (1991) - Available FWD Fridays - Tier 2
9: McL F1 (1993) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3 (RECCOMMENDED)
10: Impala SS (1969) - Available Sunday Drive Sundays - Tier 1
11: Viper (2013) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3 (RECCOMMENDED)
12: Javelin-AMS (1971) - Available Sunday Drive Sundays - Tier 1 (RECCOMMENDED)
13: RX-7 Type RS (1998) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
14: RS 6 (2003) - Available AWD Wednesdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
15: GT500 (2010) - Available Tier TWOsdays - Tier 2
16: DMC-12 (1981) - Available Economy Car Mondays - Tier 1
17: GTR R33 (1997) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
18: Muira P400 (1967)- Available Sunday Drive Sundays - Tier 2
19: NSXR (1992) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
20: CLK55 AMS (2003) - Available Tier TWOsdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
21: Coopa S (2003) - Available Economy Car Mondays - Tier 1 (RECCOMMENDED)
22: 350Z (2003) - Available Tier TWOsdays - Tier 2
23: WRX STI (2012) - Available AWD Wednesdays - Tier 2
24: Supra (1998) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)

The finish line rapidly approaches for development, and this game should be done by the end of September if all goes to plan. It's been a real grind this weekend but hey, the faster them monochrome version is finished, the sooner I can get to work on the CE port.

In the meantime, The CSRacing Demo has been submitted toTI-Planet as well as ticalc.org.

Also, new userbar!:

V0.8.1/V0.8.2 - Bugfixes, new DCS icon

Relatively minor updates this time but here we go:

The CLK55 AMS was missing its Speed lost in higher gears stat, causing a DATA TYPE error whenever it was used. This has been fixed.

There's also a new icon for Doors CS that's much better than the old one:

(Old one, been used since V0.0.7)

(The new one)

This depicts the in game car sprites and the finish line, which is a bit cliché for racing games on the 84+ but eh it looks nice in 8x8.
Whoa, so many cars! Fantastic work Oxiti8 Smile.

I like the new icon too.
I like those icons and as for the game itself, I like the trails behind the cars and the amount of cars. I never saw a calculator racing-themed game with that many cars before Smile
Thanks for all the support!

The CSRacing Demo also has finally released on ticalc.org. you can find it here: https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/476/47681.html
As release draws nearer, I've (nearly) finalized the car list. Not all of these are cars are done per se, but their inclusion is nailed down.

1*: Honda Civic Si Coupe (8th Gen, 2010) T1
2*: Oxiti Increceba (2016) [FANTASY] T4
3: VW New Beetle (2004) - Available Mondays T1
4: VW Golf GTI (2005) - Available Front wheel drive Fridays T1
5: Ferrari 458 Italia (2011) - Available Supercar Saturdays T3
6: Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (2009) - Available Supercar Saturdays T3
7: Ferrari Dino 246 GT - Available Sunday Drive Sundays (Classic cars) T1
8: CR-X SI-R (1991) - Available FWD Fridays T2
9: McLaren F1 (1993) - Available Supercar Saturdays T3
10: Chevrolet Impala Super Sport 409 (1964) - Available Sunday Drive Sundays T1
11: SRT Viper (2013) - Available Supercar Saturdays T3
12: AMC Javelin-AMX (1971) - Available Sunday Drive Sundays T1
13: Mazda RX-7 Type RS (1998) - Available Tuner Thursdays T2
14: Audi RS 6 (2003) - Available AWD Wednesdays T2
15: Shelby GT500 (2010) - Available Tier TWOsdays T2
16: Delorean DMC-12 (1981) - Available Mondays T1
17: Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 V-Spec (1997) - Available Tuner Thursdays T2
18: Lamborghini Miura P400 (1967)- Available Sunday Drive Sundays T2
19: Honda NSX-R (1992) - Available Tuner Thursdays T2
20: Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG Coupe (2003) - Available Tier TWOsdays T2
21: Mini Cooper S (2003) - Available Economy Car Mondays T1
22: Nissan Fairlady Z (2003) - Available Tier TWOsdays T2
23: Subaru Impreza WRX STI (2012) - Available AWD Wednesdays T2
24: Toyota Supra RZ (1998) - Available Tuner Thursdays T2
25: Nissan Sentra SE-R (2007) - Available Economy car Mondays T1
26: Ford Focus RS (2009) - Available FWD Fridays T2
(Cars below this point aren't finished yet at the time of posting)
27: Mitsubishi EVO X (2012) - Available AWD Wednesdays T2
28: Dodge Neon SRT4 (2005) - Available FWD Fridays T1
29: Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 (2002) - Available Tier TWOsdays T2
30: Some sort of Tier 3 AWD Supercar.

Car 30 is one I haven't decided yet. I know I want to choose an AWD Tier 3 car of some sort considering there's only 5 Tier 3 cars in the game, and I was Going to choose the 2007 Nissan GT-R, but there's already 2 versions of the GT-R in the game...

If you have any suggestions for Car 30, definitely let me know in SAX or in this topic.

The next update will be V0.9 with all 30 cars done as well as a few QOL improvements- There'll be no more commits to GitHub after that until release so as to not spoil anything of the Tier 2 and Tier 3 Crew Battles.
V0.9 - New menu for CSR Garage, ALL 30 CARS FINISHED, some bugfixes, and an introduction to car creation.

Welcome to the final pre-release update post- at the time of writing the only two things left are tier 2/3 crew battles and Link Battle support.

Let's start with the complete car list:
1*: Sivic Si Coupe (2010) - The starter car. - Tier 1
2*: Oxiti Increceba - Beat the crew battle mode to unlock! - Tier 3
3: Beetle (2004) - Available Economy Car Mondays - Tier 1
4: Golf GIT (2005) - Available FWD Fridays - Tier 1
5: 458 Italy (2011) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3
6: 'Vette ZR1 (2009) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3
7: Dino 256 GT - Available Sunday Drive Sundays (Classic cars) - Tier 1
8: CRX SIR (1991) - Available FWD Fridays - Tier 2
9: McL F1 (1993) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3 (RECCOMMENDED)
10: Impala SS (1969) - Available Sunday Drive Sundays - Tier 1
11: Viper (2013) - Available Supercar Saturdays - Tier 3 (RECCOMMENDED)
12: Javelin-AMS (1971) - Available Sunday Drive Sundays - Tier 1 (RECCOMMENDED)
13: RX-7 Type RS (1998) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
14: RS 6 (2003) - Available AWD Wednesdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
15: GT500 (2010) - Available Tier TWOsdays - Tier 2
16: DMC-12 (1981) - Available Economy Car Mondays - Tier 1
17: GTR R33 (1997) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
18: Muira P400 (1967)- Available Sunday Drive Sundays - Tier 2
19: NSXR (1992) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
20: CLK55 AMS (2003) - Available Tier TWOsdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
21: Coopa S (2003) - Available Economy Car Mondays - Tier 1 (RECCOMMENDED)
22: 350Z (2003) - Available Tier TWOsdays - Tier 2
23: WRX STI (2012) - Available AWD Wednesdays - Tier 2
24: Supra (1998) - Available Tuner Thursdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
25: Sentra SER (2007) - Available Economy car Mondays - Tier 1 (RECCOMMENDED)
26: Ford Focus RS (2009) - Available FWD Fridays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
27: EVO X (2012) - Available AWD Wednesdays - Tier 2
28: Neon SRT4 (2005) - Available FWD Fridays - Tier 1
29: GT-R R34 (2002) - Available Tier TWOsdays - Tier 2 (RECCOMMENDED)
30: Reventon (2008) - Available AWD Wednesdays - Tier 3

There are 10 Tier 1 cars, 14 Tier 2 cars, and 6 Tier 3 cars making for a total of 30 cars

As for the custom car creator, it isn't in this version. Not like you can meet the requirements to actually use it in this version anyway. However, I have nailed down how it works for the full version:If you really want to you can follow the Developer's documentation to make custom cars the same way I did.

Here are the steps:

1(NAME): Enter the name of the car.
2(MAX RPM): Max RPM(x1000) A.K.A redline - This is the max RPM the car can rev to. I recommend a number between 2 and 10 here, but any positive number should work.
3(BEST RPM): Best launch RPM - This is the number of RPM needed for a perfect launch. Use a whole number that's below the max RPM.
4(TOP SPEED): Actual Top speed - This is the Top speed of the car in Miles Per Hour- Keep this number positive and non-zero, or things will break.
5(GEARS): Number of Gears - The number of gears in the transmission. Enter a number between 1 and 6- anything higher than 6 or lower than 1 will be set to 6.
6(G1): Max MPH allowed in gear 1 - The top speed allowed in gear 1.
7(G2): Max MPH allowed in gear 2 - The top speed allowed in gear 2. If there is no 2nd gear, you should enter 0 for the smallest filesize but any number will do.
8(G3): Max MPH allowed in gear 3 - The top speed allowed in gear 3. If there is no 3rd gear, you should enter 0 for the smallest filesize but any number will do.
9(G4): Max MPH allowed in gear 4 - The top speed allowed in gear 4. If there is no 4th gear, you should enter 0 for the smallest filesize but any number will do.
10(G5): Max MPH allowed in gear 5 - The top speed allowed in gear 5. If there is no 5th gear, you should enter 0 for the smallest filesize but any number will do.
11(G6): Max MPH allowed in gear 6 - The top speed allowed in gear 6. If there is no 6th gear, you should enter 0 for the smallest filesize but any number will do.
12(ACCEL. LVL): Acceleration level (maximum increase in pixels moved per cycle) - how many MPH this car gains per frame. 0.1-1.4 is typical of Tier 1 cars, 1.6-2.4 is typical of Tier 2 cars, and 2.9-3.3 is typical of Tier 3 cars. Try to keep this number below 8 though or things WILL BREAK
13(RPM LOSS): Amount of rpm (x1000) lost per cycle while revving - This one's tricky but very important. I recommend a value of 0.1 for slow revving cars, 0.2 for most cars, and 0.25 for fast revving cars. REALLY fast revving cars should use 0.5. anything higher will have unexpected results.
14(SPD. LOSS): Reduction in speed gained in per gear (1.1 - ([THIS VALUE]* Current Gear) * Acceleration level) - This simulates a steady loss in acceleration as the car gets into higher gears. Setting this too high will result in the car going backwards in higher gears. A safe value is 0.1, but the Acceleration level and number of gears plays into this as well. a higher acceleration level means this stat can be higher- For example, cars with an acceleration level of 2 should keep this value at 0.18 or lower to not go backwards in 6th gear.
15[CE ONLY](COLOR): Car color (AFFECTS CE ONLY, AUTOMATICALLY SET TO BLACK IN THIS VERSION) Same as the color values on the CE- 10=Blue, 11=Red, 12=Black, 13=Magenta, 14=Green, 15=Orange, 16=Brown, 17=Navy, 18=LtBlue, 19=Yellow, 20=White, 21=LtGray, 22=MedGray, 23=Gray, and 24=DarkGray. Names won't work so don't try them.
(The car tier is automatically set to tier 4.)

Creating a car isn't free- the price starts at 100000 Cr. per car. However, you can drop this price by 3000 Cr. for every Car Specific race you complete. Completing all 30 Car Specific races will drop the price to a mere 10000 Cr.

So what's next? As mentioned, no more GitHub commits until release.
Link battles are in doubt a little bit as I don't exactly know how to do multiplayer all that well, and it would have to be something like checking who crosses the finish line first rather than sending each car's position over every frame so it isn't horrendously slow. I have been saving variables X and Y for this purpose though, so I should be able to make this happen.

No spoilers for the crew battles- just know that car creation will only unlock after this mode's completion.

Work on the CE port will begin shortly after release- I'm thinking a name like CSRacing Deluxe for the CE version.

So when is CSRacing finally releasing?

If all goes to plan, Release will be on Sunday, September 26 on ticalc.org, GitHub, TI-Planet, and of course, the archives here on Cemetech.

See you then!
Things are going according to schedule- I've just finished the Car Specific races.

I've also added a new post game feature: Custom Car Specific races.

After finishing all 30 Car Specific races, opening up Car Specific mode again will bring you to a difficulty selection screen not unlike that of regulation races- except instead of choosing the length, you can now set the launch speed (LAUNCH SPD?) and acceleration level (ACCEL. LV?) exclusive to the more advanced AI that appear in Crew Battles and Car Specific races.

This is a great way to test out custom cars, and unlike regulation races there's no limit to what you can enter for the difficulty settings- so if you really want you can break the game by making the AI go backwards or something.
5 days until release!

Progress is being made on the Tier 2 crew battles- Also, here's some new art:

That's some nice art, but it looks like it's from something else lol Razz

Congrats on making it to release! Very Happy

Quote:
if you really want you can break the game by making the AI go backwards or something.

I want to do this.
4 days until release

Tier 2 crew battles are finished, currently working on the tier 2/3 crew leader dialogue.

I’vea also added a length setting to Custom Car Races (now referred to as Custom Spec)- it works similar to length regulation races, but for custom spec there’s no limit on how long or short you can make a race.
Calculator Street Racing V1.0- OUT NOW!

Github: https://github.com/NinjaWeedle/CSRacing/releases/tag/V1.0
TI Planet: https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=2794055
Cemetech: http://ceme.tech/DL2188
Ticalc: https://ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/476/47693.html

Is this an considered an early release? It's the 26th in Europe...well at least it's not a late release anywhere

It's finally finished- with 15 crew battle stages, Custom Car creation, 30 cars, and Custom Spec mode, CSRacing V1.0 brings the full Calculator Street Racing experience.

Now the final file size- both CSRACING.8xp and CSRGARAG.8xp are 758 bytes each (neat how that worked out), for a total of 14516 bytes. Erm, yes, that is a lot larger than I had thought earlier, but a lot of that comes from the crew battle dialogues.

I did have to drop the link battle mode- GetCalc( is just way too slow for it to be an enjoyable 2-player experience.

Go give CSRacing a try! If you only have a CE or a CSE, don't worry- The CE port of CSRacing is coming soon!
Calculator Street Racing Deluxe - a CE port of CSRacing

Now underway

Finally time to get to work on the CE version of CSRacing! Some planned features for thus version:

- Color (obviously)

- The Paintshop, where you can freely change the color of any car.

- Full save cross compatibility between versions

It's a little early to show any gameplay of this version, but expect more updates on this soon.
Some progress on the CE port:

Tricks incompatible with the CE have been removed, so the game is technically playable now-

That being said, I've only really fixed the dimensions on the main menu and the car specific race intro so far. I've also started to do actual stuff with color- current priority is getting the actual races to not look like...that. I'll also be implementing car colors- (the data has always been there for every car, but you've never been able to use it Evil or Very Mad ) The car sprites in a race will be the preset color values already assigned to each of the 30 cars.

A paintshop feature would allow you to temporarily change the color of your current car, but due to the limitations of TI-BASIC it is impossible to directly modify the car data itself. Perhaps I could do permanent color changes by adding color data to the same part of the save list as upgrades, but that'd be way more complicated...

You may have noticed in the APNG that the car sprites... dont look right. The Pxl-on method I used for fast text sprites wont work on the CE- I'm trying to find another way to do a similar effect.
If you know of a way to do something like this in TI-BASIC, let me know!
I'm liking the progress on the CE port; I've never played this genre of game, so I'm definitely interested on trying this out when it's finished. Good luck!
V1.1 - Important Bugfix (and some optimizations)

Well, guess it was inevitable...

CSR Garage had a bug where the third page of cars pulled whether they were owned or not from the ownership data of the first 10 cars. you could use the coopa s without even buying it.

That's been fixed now- Also the total size is down to 14490 bytes thanks to some quick optimization. New version is being uploaded now.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours