» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsilon5 wrote:
arusher999 wrote:
Huh, there are no appvars showing up

Of course there aren't-I should have thought of that. If you'd like, I can send you a working filesystem appvar, and it'll automatically be updated to coincide with what's on your calculator.

In other news, I've made some more progress. Here's the changelog:
[added] cursor acceleration
[added] cursor framerate-independent movement
[added] buttons can be activated using an alternate key (rather than clicking them)
[added] basic window manager (add windows to the desktop)
[added] buttons in menus can now be clicked
[added] buttons in menus can now trigger actions
[added] windows can now be created/opened at runtime
[added] window title bars on opened windows (title and non-functional buttons to minimize/close)
[fixed] cursor could go offscreen

I'm trying to post regular progress updates on my Discord server as well, so be sure to join that if you haven't already. Here's a screenshot of most of the progress that has been made over the last few days:

That's looking amazing!, Also, yeah sure, it would be great if you could send me the appvars.
I've been working on this a lot over the last few days, so here's a quick update. Please note that the screenshot only shows some of the new features-the larger developments, like the directory system, will need their own posts.

Changelog
[added] intelligent redrawing, allowing only required GUI elements to be redrawn when applicable
[added] directory system
[improved] navigation switches to start menu when it is opened in box-based navigation mode
[improved] opened windows are switched to when opened in box-based navigation mode
[improved] generally improved filesystem backend
[improved] start menu can now be closed
[improved] wallpapers, allowing them to be split into 6 rows
[improved] wallpapers now integrated into the main GUI
[improved] wallpapers can be redrawn
[improved] restructured desktop code
[fixed] moving windows no longer leaves graphical artifacts
[fixed] incorrect element could be selected on switching to window in box-based navigation mode
[fixed] invisible elements could be selected in box-based navigation mode

Screenshot
Here's a screenshot showing a preview of the box-based navigation mode that will be present in VYSION 2 in addition to the cursor-based navigation scheme, as I know a large number of people prefer one over the other:

And as usual, thanks to everyone for the great support! Please post any additional feedback, feature requests, questions, or suggestions in this thread. And in response to arusher999, I sent you a PM regarding the appvar issue.
Wow, I love it! I need to buy a CE...
Well, apparently it's been around 2 weeks since a post on this, and there has been tons of progress. Here's the gist of it:

File Exploration
File exploration has been completed and is implemented as what is essentially a modified OPTIX menu, meaning that they can be very easily added anywhere I want them, and should have consistent behavior.

Window Management and Switching
Over the last few days, I've allowed windows to be switched between through a GUI, which takes the form of a small sidebar on the left side of the screen that expands when it is selected, like the vertical tabs feature in Microsoft Edge.

Besides that, there has also been a large number of bug fixes and other improvements. Here's the full changelog:
Changelog
[added] graphical file exploration menus
[added] desktop file icons
[added] ability to not show menu selection background when selected
[added] basic window manager menu
[added] window manager menu now expands
[improved] desktop file menu is now significantly more responsive
[improved] outline in box-based mode now shows the current menu selection
[improved] menu and button backgrounds can now be set to transparent
[improved] desktop file icons now redrawn properly
[fixed] desktop file menu updated incorrectly in box-based mode
[fixed] flickering in box-based mode
[fixed] holding the selection key could allow the skipping through menus
[fixed] graphical artifacts could be left in box-based mode
[fixed] window manager menu no longer selectable when no windows are open
[fixed] menus with only sprites and no text not rendered correctly

Screenshots
Here's an old screenshot showing some basic file exploration:

And here's a newer screenshot, showing the new window management features (still somewhat buggy).

Conclusion
As always, thanks to all of you for your support as I continue work on this project. Please post any feedback, suggestions, or feature requests here in this thread. Also, my Discord server has a channel devoted just to updates on this project, so please join that if you'd like to stay up to date (as well as being a part of the future alpha/beta testing programs).
Why have the window switcher on the side, where the icons are, rath than on the bottom, like windows?
CalebHansberry wrote:
Why have the window switcher on the side, where the icons are, rath than on the bottom, like windows?
Good question! The logic for it was that the menu to launch programs from the taskbar would be on the bottom later on in development (as it was in VYSION 1), and I wasn't sure if there would be room for both. I'm not sure which way would be better-it would be very easy to have it on the bottom instead, if the majority of people think that's a better idea.

Overview
Well, it's progress update time again. The largest new additions in this update are the ability to set custom wallpapers through the GUI, the ability to run assembly and basic programs, and VAT sorting (credit to Mateo for that code, and the copyright notice is included as well). Besides that, I also learned enough Python to make a little script to generate wallpapers for the shell and implemented a host of new improvements and bugfixes.

Screenshot
Here's a screenshot of many of the new features:

Changelog
[added] created a wallpaper-generating Python script
[added] basic wallpaper picker
[added] window title bar icons
[added] TI-Basic program running
[added] assembly program running
[added] Stop token hook
[added] VAT sorting (courtesy of Cesium)
[improved] improved terminal interface for wallpaper generator
[improved] generator can list, add, and convert files through terminal
[improved] program icons now rendered correctly with condensed xlibc palette
[improved] window switcher now maintains the order in which windows were opened
[improved] window opening/closing now more stable
[improved] stack artifacts could result in displaying unmapped memory as sprites
[improved] wallpaper picker now sets desktop wallpaper to the last clicked option
[fixed] deleted files could remain in filesystem
epsilon5 wrote:

Overview
Well, it's progress update time again. The largest new additions in this update are the ability to set custom wallpapers through the GUI, the ability to run assembly and basic programs, and VAT sorting (credit to Mateo for that code, and the copyright notice is included as well). Besides that, I also learned enough Python to make a little script to generate wallpapers for the shell and implemented a host of new improvements and bugfixes.

Screenshot
Here's a screenshot of many of the new features:

Changelog
[added] created a wallpaper-generating Python script
[added] basic wallpaper picker
[added] window title bar icons
[added] TI-Basic program running
[added] assembly program running
[added] Stop token hook
[added] VAT sorting (courtesy of Cesium)
[improved] improved terminal interface for wallpaper generator
[improved] generator can list, add, and convert files through terminal
[improved] program icons now rendered correctly with condensed xlibc palette
[improved] window switcher now maintains the order in which windows were opened
[improved] window opening/closing now more stable
[improved] stack artifacts could result in displaying unmapped memory as sprites
[improved] wallpaper picker now sets desktop wallpaper to the last clicked option
[fixed] deleted files could remain in filesystem

This is soooooooooooooo pretty!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thanks! Hopefully it will be somewhat functional as well...
Hey, the program looks very cool but i get the following freeze screen:
"Welcome to Vysion a new shell for the ce the filesystem has been initialized", it just freezes there and after a few minutes my calculator just resets itself
, if you know the fix please lmk
Rover wrote:
Hey, the program looks very cool but i get the following freeze screen:
"Welcome to Vysion a new shell for the ce the filesystem has been initialized", it just freezes there and after a few minutes my calculator just resets itself
, if you know the fix please lmk

Can you please provide a little more information?
Just saying "It broke please fix" doesn't give the developer any indication of what went wrong or what to look for. In this case, could you please upload your OS and hardware versions, as well as the version of VYSION you downloaded/where you got it from?
Thanks for letting me know! I believe this issue was already reported by arusher999 here, and there will not ever be a fix for it, because VYSION 1 is no longer supported. I presume it's the 1.0.0 release version from the Cemetech archives.

We talked about this a little on my Discord server earlier-I'll post a filesystem file that's known to work there, and then hopefully upload a link here at some point in the not-so-distant future. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do that until at least tomorrow, because my computer is currently unbootable. Theoretically, VYSION should be smart enough to fill in the gaps and update the filesystem to match your calculator's after that.
I just tried again and the freezing bug only happens in CEmu, not the real calculator. At least for me. The shell works perfectly on my calc (other than a glitchy FF:MF intro screen)

Hello, checking on your progress recently on Vysion 2 and it looks insane! One question, will Vysion 2 be able to run via ArTIfiCE for 5.5=< calculators? Just asking because I've been able to run Vysion 1 on my 5.6 calculator that way and wondered if Vysion 2 will work the same like that upon release.
Few quick replies (more updates to come, lots of things in the works):

ShadowJames wrote:
Hello, checking on your progress recently on Vysion 2 and it looks insane! One question, will Vysion 2 be able to run via ArTIfiCE for 5.5=< calculators? Just asking because I've been able to run Vysion 1 on my 5.6 calculator that way and wondered if Vysion 2 will work the same like that upon release.

Yep, it should work just fine-ArTIfiCE can run any ASM program, I think.

xlibman wrote:
I just tried again and the freezing bug only happens in CEmu, not the real calculator. At least for me. The shell works perfectly on my calc (other than a glitchy FF:MF intro screen)

Thanks for sharing! I never experienced that bug, actually-the program always worked fine on both my physical calc and CEmu, both running TI-OS 5.3.1.0058. I'll try to expand my testing pool for VYSION 2 to avoid issues like this happening again. Also, would you mind elaborating on what was wrong with the intro screen of FF:MF?
Just a few thoughts, from using VYSION on a physical calculator:

• The mouse cursor flickers when above a certain point on the screen. It seems to be around the upper third.
  • When in mouse mode, clicking on the switches should toggle them; right now one has to click the text.
  • When changing settings, they don't update until you close the settings menu
  • Wallpaper is sorted in reverse alphabetical order
  • You are to change the locked status of assembly programs. However, it doesn't do anything.
  • Menus should probably wrap around; there are some that do, and some that don't.
  • You can't press [clear] to exit out of error dialogs
  • Hiding VYSION by unarchiving it and hiding it in the same go causes a pretty impressive crash. Screen goes white, keys are unresponsive, and it caused a garbage collect (I have 1446K free archive, and I'd garbage collected about ten minutes prior.) Also, it's not hidden. Or at least, there's a copy of it that's not hidden.
  • On the program screen, exiting a dialog on a program that's far down makes it start from the top and scroll down.
  • Hiding VYSION makes the reloader not work.

Good work, though!
I'm excited for what VYSION 2 will bring.
Will VYSION 2 let us bring back the taskbar?
Here are some more replies:
Michael0x18 wrote:
Red: not fixed, not planned to be fixed
Orange: not fixed, but fix is planned
Green: issue already fixed

Just a few thoughts, from using VYSION on a physical calculator:
  • The mouse cursor flickers when above a certain point on the screen. It seems to be around the upper third. Fixed in VYSION 2, mouse cursor is now very smooth with minimal flickering.
  • When in mouse mode, clicking on the switches should toggle them; right now one has to click the text. Not yet implemented, but this should be how it works.
  • When changing settings, they don't update until you close the settings menu. I think they do, unless you mean writing to the appvar?
  • Wallpaper is sorted in reverse alphabetical order. They're alphabetical now.
  • You are to change the locked status of assembly programs. However, it doesn't do anything. Filesystem not yet completed in VYSION 2 (will keep this in mind though).
  • Menus should probably wrap around; there are some that do, and some that don't. It would be fairly easy to add a setting for this, I'll keep it in mind.
  • You can't press [clear] to exit out of error dialogs. All windows will be closable with [clear] in VYSION 2.
  • Hiding VYSION by unarchiving it and hiding it in the same go causes a pretty impressive crash. Screen goes white, keys are unresponsive, and it caused a garbage collect (I have 1446K free archive, and I'd garbage collected about ten minutes prior.) Also, it's not hidden. Or at least, there's a copy of it that's not hidden. Not fixed, but I'm planning on it, as this was a pretty big issue.
  • On the program screen, exiting a dialog on a program that's far down makes it start from the top and scroll down. Fixed-OPTIX 3 handles all this kind of stuff for me, and should store the current selection correctly now.
  • Hiding VYSION makes the reloader not work. Fixed by using the new toolchain program running function.
Good work, though!
I'm excited for what VYSION 2 will bring.

Just edited your post to show which ones are fixed and not. Thanks for the support, as well!

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Will VYSION 2 let us bring back the taskbar?

Not exactly sure what you're getting at, but yes, VYSION 2 will eventually let you launch programs from the taskbar just like in VYSION 1, in addition to showing the currently running programs (think something like the program launcher and running program panels in Windows 98).

In other news, I've squashed a bunch of bugs over the last few days, so I'm just about ready to start adding things again, I believe.

Overview
Well, 2 months and 10 (!) minor releases later, I've got an update for all of you. These updates were mostly relating to bug fixes/performance improvements/quality of life stuff, so not many new graphical things to show (there is a new input system that supports remappable input though, which is exciting). With that said, I'm working on a filesystem rewrite at the moment, so stay tuned for an update on that in the weeks to come.

Screenshot
Here's a screenshot of what the program looks like currently, and one of VYSION 1 for comparison (should be pretty clear which is which) Since VYSION 2 says "VYSION 2" in the super menu, other than that they're pretty much identical visually

Changelog
[added] taskbar rectangle (will be able to be set as transparent in a future update)
[added] new input system, (theoretically) allowing for remappable input
[added] battery indicator
[improved] improved program running, replacing old code with the new os_RunPrgm function
[improved] moved window manager menu to the bottom of the screen
[improved] menu options are now not outlined when the selection box is visible
[improved] menus can use all the options available for text and sprites
[improved] start menu icons now have transparent backgrounds
[improved] more stable window closing
[improved] window title bars now have transparent icons
[improved] desktop clock now works
[improved] window manager menu now has transparent icons
[improved] text can now be left, center, and right aligned
[fixed] window type could be stored incorrectly
[fixed] error messages cleared on TI-Basic program exit, where applicable
[fixed] potential reloader crash if program was renamed
[fixed] menu selection box in box-based mode briefly rendered incorrectly
[fixed] window manager text/icons could be corrupted
[fixed] super button background incorrectly displayed
[fixed] OS input not recognized after running and then power cycling
[fixed] extensive memory corruption on launch, program appears to brick CEmu
[fixed] RAM leak in text offset storage
[fixed] black boxes at end of start menu options
[fixed] text still could lead graphical artifacts
Looks very nice! Although I don't mind lower res backgrounds the full res one looks really nice Smile.

Also looking at the time and trying to decide if you've been up early ... or up late Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 11
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours