I've been bored with no project ideas this summer so I finally decided to make something! I'm porting Snorlax's Lunch Time from the Pokemon Mini handheld to monochrome TI-84+ calculators! (It should also work on the 83+ but I don't have one to test it on.) I'm using TI-BASIC with the DSC7 Basic Libraries. So far, I've managed to make food fall from the sky onto Snorlax's plate, as well as the occasional Pichu. I haven't incorporated any method of gameplay yet, so all there is is falling food. Razz

Eye Candy:

Project To-do List:
Fallling Food: 100%
Timer and Pichu Mechanics: 100%
Scoring/Yums: 100%
Menus and other Sprites: 100%

This has been released! Download it here: http://ceme.tech/DL2206

Questions:
Right now I'm having an trouble figuring out a good way to fix the issue of the falling food being transparent in the center. Here's what it should look like:

I would like to know if there is a way I can fill in the sprite with white and have the white outline, but keep the rest transparent. Here's how I'm displaying sprites right now:
Code wrote:
:Lbl 1
:RecallPic 2 //Screen with snorlax
:randInt(0,2)->R //Random food
:randInt(0,1)->P //random Pichu
:For(Y,~35,15,10 //Falling sequence
: real(1,32,Y-10,4,32,1,R*32,((R=0 and P=1)*32),3,0,1 //I'm storing sprites in Pic1 and using the Xlib routine to put them on the graph screen. This erases the previous sprite
: RecallPic 2 //Draws back the snorlax
: real(1,32,Y,4,32,1,R*32,((R=0 and P=1)*32),2,0,1 //places sprite at the new location
:End
:Pause
:real(1,32,Y-10,4,32,1,R*32,((R=0 and P=1)*32),3,0,1 //Removes the sprite for the next food to fall
:Goto 1 //Send down another food
:

I also need a way to invert the LCD when you attempt to eat the Pichu or miss a food:

Last but not least, it looks like I'll be needing to use a lot of Picture Variables for this project. Should I use the Picture Variables, or is there a better way such as displaying fullscreen hex sprites (If that's even possible)? I tend to like to use as little built in TI-OS variables as possible, so that I don't directly impact the users calculator as much, but if this is the only way I guess I will use the Picture Variables.
Quote:
I would like to know if there is a way I can fill in the sprite with white and have the white outline, but keep the rest transparent. Here's how I'm displaying sprites right now:
You'd need to draw a white mask first (i.e., with AND logic), then the XOR the sprite. The downside of this would be that you'd have to redraw the background and do this again every time you moved the food.

Quote:
I also need a way to invert the LCD when you attempt to eat the Pichu or miss a food:
Use DrawShape in mode 8 ("Draw a RECTANGLE with an INVERTED FILLING").
Update Time!
I've been working on this off and on and it's now almost done! I've implemented scoring, sprite masks, and inverting the screen upon a Game Over sequence and all I have left to do is the menus!

Eye Candy:

The game runs much faster and less choppy on the calculator, so most imperfections in the video are from jsTIfied. Also, I will be adding a better Game Over screen but currently it says "U MISSSED" because I was too lazy and kept forgetting to fix it.

I've also uploaded the source to github, just in case anyone is interested. I should note that it is not optimized at all and will probably give a major headache to anyone who understands it because of that. It is, however very nicely commented. Cool
https://github.com/TIny-Hacker/Snorlax-Lunch-Time

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours