On the emulator, if I use ti_open("FILENAME", "r") when FILENAME.8xv doesn't exist, the program exist immediately. I don't know if its my problem with another section of the program, but the docs does state "The file must exist." how do I get it to return 0 instead?

thank
ti_Open is supposed to return 0 on error, not exit the program. What does your code look like?
then its probably my program then. Thanks for info.
Ok I figured it out. The program successfully detected the file not exist, so it goes to the next step which is to use os_PutStrFull("Could not find or locate SOMEFILE.8xv"); which only displayed C for each file missing... I did not see the C as it was in the top left corner lol.

but that was because i forgot to os_NewLine(); and os_NewLine();

ahhh dumb errors and how they hide and disguise themselves!
Hey. Even when the file exists, my program still claims that the appvar does not exist.
I used convbin to create the Appvar, with the command:
convbin -r -j bin -k 8xv -i PokeData.bin -o PokeData.8xv -n PokeData
successfully creates appvar PokeData.8xv.
Send to calculator, checks memory. PokeData is in the app var section.
Then I try to use ti_Open("PokeData", "r"); returns 0.

Also, there's an extra:
**TI83F*

in the header, with two other lines that I am assuming account for the name. Please tell me what I did wrong.
Make sure that you call ti_CloseAll before using any of the fileioc functions.

The **TI83F* is normal - the 8xv file contains a header to tell TI-Connect what the variable name and type is, as well as whether it should be archived.
Worked. Well I guess I didn't read the documentation carefully. Though the explanation was a bit weird. "use before calling variable functions" should list example of the functions... seemed like something from reader.close() which I expected to be called after ti_open.
Yolomep wrote:
Worked. Well I guess I didn't read the documentation carefully. Though the explanation was a bit weird. "use before calling variable functions" should list example of the functions... seemed like something from reader.close() which I expected to be called after ti_open.

You can always change/improve the documentation yourself Smile
Ok I will go and write a change to the documentation.

On another note,
when I use

Code:

gfx_sprite_t *behind_sprite = gfx_MallocSprite(8, 8);
int main() {
    //... background stuff, initiate gfx... etc

//error!
    gfx_GetSprite(behind_sprite, 120, 120);

//other code
}

breaks and causes the ram to reset, but this does not:

Code:

gfx_UninitedSprite(behind_sprite, 8, 8);

int main() {
    //... background stuff, initiate gfx... etc
    behind_sprite->width = 8;
    behind_sprite->height = 8;
    //fine
    gfx_GetSprite(behind_sprite, 120, 120);

//other code
}

I admit I don't know much about Malloc, my education in c++ didn't include any of that. Teacher just told us to use vector or some other data structure if we needed something dynamic.
Because gfx_MallocSprite calls malloc, it has to be run inside a function. I'm not sure why that even compiles, actually.

You should avoid using malloc on the CE whenever possible. You should either use UninitedSprite or TempSprite for this use case.
commandblockguy wrote:
Because gfx_MallocSprite calls malloc, it has to be run inside a function. I'm not sure why that even compiles, actually.

Nah you can use code to initialize globals outside of functions. People should stop using globals.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours