Hey all,

So I have decided to actually learn some C because, well, after being an NPC and writing a bunch of C# and Java I decided that I still had no idea what was actually going on in the computer on a lower level. I can't be bothered to write an entire program in assembly, but I think that you can still grasp a pretty good understanding in C so, well, screw it I'm going to write a C program.

But, one problem. I have no idea what to write. I mean I do but I don't, and I will definitely look into it further and do some soul searching.

I was writing Suko in H(T)ypescript earlier, so maybe I will implement that in C instead. Or maybe I should do something else.

Overall, I just want to learn more and get better at computer science, and part of that means getting intimate with the computer's internals.

So to start with, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know any good, modern C/C++ learning resources.

2. Should I start with implementing Suko or something else.

Cheers,

TorNATO Evil or Very Mad
I use C++ primer, stackoverflow, and the c++ official website. The official website is very good at explaining. Tranisitioning from Java, I recommend you searching the Java to C++ guide, it really helped me change my thinking.

Suko seems to be a good option for a beginning program, as it doesn't seem to require too much work.
A really good C learning course from the basics to advanced algorithms is the dartmouth c course at edx.org. I took it and I learned a lot even though I chose the no-pay method (there was a no pay option to audit the course and you got about 3 months to complete the course before it blocks access, but that is plenty of time).
randomguy wrote:
A really good C learning course from the basics to advanced algorithms is the dartmouth c course at edx.org. I took it and I learned a lot even though I chose the no-pay method (there was a no pay option to audit the course and you got about 3 months to complete the course before it blocks access, but that is plenty of time).

I'll have to check that out, definitely sounds like fun.

Also, my crappy program works! Just need to add a start screen, and a fail/pass screen thing.

randomguy wrote:

I hate bumping an old thread, but on your suggestion and a whim, I signed up for the course which (apparently) starts today. I'm wondering if there's any actual value to the "certified" method, or if it's just a meaningless piece of paper to most employers and schools (à la an ITT Tech "degree")?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours