What I currently know is that the processor frequency is set by an RC oscillator, whose frequency can be increased by reducing either capacitance or resistance. But on the TI-86, I can completely remove C13 to overclock without problem. My instinct is that the separated bare pads create a minuscule "capacitor", but I'm not fully convinced. I would like to understand, why exactly should that work?
That’s what’s going on. There’s a parasitic capacitor formed between the two pads, as well as between all the traces in the RC circuit. There’s also an upper operating frequency limite in that RC circuit, and you may be bumping up against that as well.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours