I finally got my Torx T6 headed screw driver, so I'm now posting those PCB pics that womp has been bugging me for for a long time...
Here is my Rev H TI-84 Plus SE (click for full resolution):

I'm not sure if I was supposed to take a pic of this side but I decided that I would while it was open:

Also, while I was taking apart my CE (and SE) I noticed this foil backing. I wasn't sure how to remove it on the CE, and I wanted to know whether I could just get rid of it or whether it was actually necessary (I'm stupid about this kind of thing):

I'll be taking more PCB pics of the rest of my calculators (and other SE) soon. Should I include my Voyage 200 even though the ribbon cable is broken?
The foil is just an anti-static shield which helps protect the PCB from stray electric shocks. I'd recommend keeping it but it doesn't really matter if you remove it.
Personally I like to open all my calcs for fun but if you're asking because you want to contribute to the documentation effort, then your other 84+SE (rev P) is the only other calc from the ones you've listed on calcs.tiplanet.org that we don't have a picture of.
mr womp womp wrote:
The foil is just an anti-static shield which helps protect the PCB from stray electric shocks.

As I recall, the shield is there for FCC Part 15 EMI/RFI compliance, and the calculator works fine without it.
Interesting. The shield covers only the left (usb) edge of my 84+CE and is absent from my TI-80 and my friend's 2008 83+.
TI-84 Plus SE Rev P PCB Pics! (Again, click for full size)

EDIT:
Now with PCB Pics from my Voyage 200 (since I took it apart to try to fix the ribbon cable):

My TI-83:

Also, my brother's Casio Graph 90+e (It took me some convincing to get him to let me open it Razz ):
CVSoft wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
The foil is just an anti-static shield which helps protect the PCB from stray electric shocks.

As I recall, the shield is there for FCC Part 15 EMI/RFI compliance, and the calculator works fine without it.
This is the correct answer. I still colloquially call it the anti-static shield, though.

TIny_Hacker wrote:
Also, my brother's Casio Graph 90+e (It took me some convincing to get him to let me open it Razz ):
This is shockingly similar to the Prizm fx-CG20; I have one with a broken mainboard that I never quite succeeded in fixing.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours