Hello. Pls could you help?

I am thinking of buying the TI but am held back by what I understand to be the only way to enter x, y and z as variables. The TI famously has a full a to z keyboard below the central number keys. Ok some want that freedom to directly enter the full alphabet as text labels and variables. But very heavily we are concerned with only one letter as as a variable, that is X, and possibly a second, the letter Y as output. But the placement of the only X and Y variables I see on the keyboard is in a different colour at the extreme bottom of the calculator. Would that not mean as numbers are entered into the display the hand must jump down three inches and select with difficulty the often used X letter for inputting into the equation on the screen? Pls is there another key close to the numbers or another fluid way of inputting an X variable?

Thank you for your help. Good day.
I'm afraid there isn't an easier way to get those variables. Like all the variables, they are accessible through the symbol palette (ctrl + ), but that is much more work than just hitting the key itself. There are lots of shortcuts available such as typing out "pi" instead of shuffling around for the π symbol, but these are only for things that are tucked away in menus.
If you think that the top variables might be easier to work with, you can always just use those instead of X and Y.
If for some reason you really want the value of x, you can always do something like this:

Code:
Define a=x

This will make it so that when you call "a", it will evaluate to "x".
mr womp womp wrote:
I'm afraid there isn't an easier way to get those variables. Like all the variables, they are accessible through the symbol palette (ctrl + ), but that is much more work than just hitting the key itself. There are lots of shortcuts available such as typing out "pi" instead of shuffling around for the π symbol, but these are only for things that are tucked away in menus.
If you think that the top variables might be easier to work with, you can always just use those instead of X and Y.
If for some reason you really want the value of x, you can always do something like this:

Code:
Define a=x

This will make it so that when you call "a", it will evaluate to "x".

Greeting mr womp womp
Understood on your clear observations on the TIs entry system. Yes I think I could learn how to define 'a' as 'x' for more natural entry.
I have a number of pre-purchase and starting out questions on the TI and the HP prime but assume polite behaviour here is to restart with a new topic heading. Respects.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours