TODO:

* saving to an appvar
*procedural dungeon generation
*get rid of LoZ sprites
*toggleable damage numbers
*better enemy "AI"
*better enemy attacks (some with projectiles, contact damage, etc)
*optimize and make my code suck less
*store and new weapons
*inventory menu
*interactive map elements (like locked doors and keys)
*animations
-add animations for enemies
-animate enemy projectiles (once they exist)
*add story and actual gameplay
-bosses
-relics
When I last touched this game a while ago, I got disheartened by the fact that my procedural generation test program, which I had though I understood correctly, didnt seem to work, and I didn't know why, so I gave up.

It turns out that my program DOES work, the problem was that the computer that I was using couldn't run CEmu fast enough for me to tell (I was impatient)

Now that I know that I'm not completely inept, I will most likely begin work on this again, and hopefully the next screenshot will have some rudimentary procedurally generated dungeon.

My plan for the dungeon is that when you start a new game, the dungeon will be generated, and then saved alongside the other save data (once I figure out saving) and then will simply be reloaded when you continue a game. That way the game will actually have some replayability Razz

I do need some feedback though, would you guys be fine waiting several minutes for a map to be generated on starting a new game, or should I make it be more like the binding of isaac where there are multiple (smaller) floors that you progress through?

sorry for the long post, I am just eager to make some real progress on this
I vastly improved the main menu gui and I think it looks pretty good!

It’s good to see that you’re still working on this, and the main menu looks better now as well. Regarding your last question, I think I’d rather wait for several minutes for one big map than smaller ones. As long as there is some kind of progress bar to show how much time is left, I think a lot of players would agree.
epsilon5 wrote:
I think I’d rather wait for several minutes for one big map than smaller ones. As long as there is some kind of progress bar to show how much time is left, I think a lot of players would agree.

Awesome, thank you for the feedback!!
The maps are huge which is very impressive! The titlescreen update looks sweet as well - awesome job!
Thanks to Iambian, I have some actual enemy health bars! (I might change them again to have a different look, but the algorithm will stay mostly the same)

TODO:

*saving to an appvar
*get rid of LoZ sprites
*toggleable damage numbers
*rewrite store menu
*better enemy "AI"
*better enemy attacks (some with projectiles, contact damage, etc)
*store and new weapons
*inventory menu
*interactive map elements (like locked doors and keys)
*procedural dungeon generation
*animations
-add animations for enemies
-animate enemy projectiles (once they exist)
*add story and actual gameplay
-bosses
-relics
Looking great Pieman! Keep up the good work!
I agree, this has come a long way since I first played the contest version, I can't wait to see the completed product!
TLDR: I am working on this and brainstorming ways to make it be less crappy

I am absolutely still working on this (although sporadically) and I have made some progress in the dungeon generation (which is the thing I have been working on) and I am planning on working on saving and loading next once I settle on a level format

Speaking on level format, I am leaning more towards having several floors/levels to progress through, but they will all be generated at the start of the game (if I can get my generation algorithm fast enough), and on each floor there will be some relics or something that have to be found to move to the next one, or a Boss that needs to be completed

Also I am thinking of having a small shop room between floors instead of having a shop accessible at all times (or possibly have one hidden in the level sorta like in Crypt of the Necrodancer)

[[[Alternate game mode idea: infinite floors with the next generated each time you finish the previous, with a score]]]

Sorry for the word vomit post, and I'm sorry that I suck and never deliver on my projects
Glad that you are still working on this, I also like the shop idea.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours