Critor announced earlier today on TI-Planet that TI has released a web version of their TI-Nspire CX II Student Software, for use on Chrome OS. Up until now, the only official way to send files to your TI-Nspire CX II was to use TI's Student Software, which was very annoying for multiple reasons:

▪ The app only works on the latest versions of Windows and Mac OS
▪ The app can take quite a while to load, due to the emulator incorporated in the software
▪ The app requires a license, which can only be used on one computer and was easy to lose or might not be included when buying a used calculator

However, TI has just made public a new version of the software for use on Chrome OS, accessible at https://nspireconnect.ti.com/#/. This version has many advantages over the Windows and Mac versions, requiring no license, being much less bulky, and taking almost no time to start because there is no emulator included. Using this software, you can take a screenshot of your calculator, send and receive files, and update your OS (though from what we've learned from TI this is not something you should do without thorough research of the new "features" in the OS Razz)

The usage is quite simple. All you have to do is plug your TI-Nspire into the computer, press "Connect to Calculator" and select what you wish to do.

Unfortunately, every silver lining has a cloud (yes, I know that I'm saying it backwards). Even though the software should be able to run on any Chrome based browser, TI has made so that if you attempt to launch the software on any other operating system than the latest version of Chrome OS, you will be greeted with this friendly message:

The software also appears to only be compatible with TI-Nspire CX II models, so for older versions or use on Linux distros, n-link is still the only solution. However, this should be welcome news for schools who use TI-Nspires in class as well as Chromebooks!
What if you spoof the user agent? Google themselves offer an extension for this.
Yes it's trivial to workaround the browser/OS-check/"protection".
But if something bad happens (I doubt it), then you can't complain to TI anymore Razz
I tried using this software, but for some reason, the files will not show up after I try to upload them to my calculator, any idea why this could be? The calculator type is right.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours