Does anyone know how to connect it to the internet without being connected to a computer (atleast not by cable) I would like to be able to access the internet from my calculator but im not sure how any help is appreciated
Nobody's bothered to port anything to the CE AFAIK. For the monochromes, there's gCn but not for the CE so I'm afraid you're out of luck for now.
If you're interested in doing it on a monochrome calculator, you would need to get a spark core or the newer equivlent, the particle photon (assuming the gCn servers are still up after this much time. I remember having some issues with the servers needing to be restarted when I tinkered with this a few years ago.
There's a library that I was working on but have since abandoned, nanotube that supports ethernet adapters. There's also internetce which requires that you plug in a phone.

The CE doesn't have any wireless hardware in it, so you're going to need to either modify the hardware or plug something into the USB port to wirelessly receive data. As for wirelessly transmitting, you could probably turn the screen on and off and point a camera at it.

As far as I know, this video is the only time a CE has received any data truly wirelessly:

In any case, connecting to the internet is somewhat pointless without an internet-enabled application, so unless you're willing to write code yourself, want to run a webserver with nothing on it, or don't mind using the world's laziest IRC client, there's no real reason to connect your CE to the internet at the moment.
Coding_guy___ wrote:
I would like to be able to access the internet from my calculator but im not sure how any help is appreciated

Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Github repo for internetce libs
Repo for CommandBlockGuy's Nanotube project, which has links to posts of links to more posts on lots of tidbits of information

I guess a phone is a computer, but I guess it's much easier than lugging around a desktop machine to plug into LAN.

Edit: DAGNABIT, I done been ninja'd.
King Dub Dub wrote:
I guess a phone is a computer, but I guess it's much easier than lugging around a desktop machine to plug into LAN.

If we're being pedantic, the spark core and photon particle boards are also computers Rolling Eyes
I mean, really it just depends on how pedantic you're being about the definition of a computer. Most Wi-Fi compatible consumer devices can't connect to Wi-Fi without being connected to a computer, as the Wi-Fi chipset itself is usually a computer.
If there's one thing I've learned from the internet: anything is a computer if you're brave enough, and at that point it can most likely run DOOM. If it has a processor and RAM, someone will make it do something.
The real question is, why do you want your calculator connected to the internet?
commandz wrote:
As for wirelessly transmitting, you could probably turn the screen on and off and point a camera at it.

Perhaps a Morse code program would work? Laughing
thanks for the help it is much appreciated
Michael2_3B wrote:
The real question is, why do you want your calculator connected to the internet?

It was really kinda hypothetical to see if it was possible because i was getting annoyed at the internet stuff for ti 84
Is it possible to use a raspberry pi as a middle man to get to the internet? Instead of a full blown pc.
Yes, assuming you have working software for it.
If a calculator had Bluetooth/Internet access, then it would not be allowed for use on tests/math competitions. This is why one shouldn't try to make a calculator transmit wireless data.
Michael2_3B wrote:

to search google on it
commandblockguy wrote:
I mean, really it just depends on how pedantic you're being about the definition of a computer. Most Wi-Fi compatible consumer devices can't connect to Wi-Fi without being connected to a computer, as the Wi-Fi chipset itself is usually a computer.

is it possible to use a ethernet port to plug it in to a computer?
nonbananabot wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

to search google on it

It's not worth it, too slow
Online multiplayer. This would rule, if we had something like gCn or the above for specific calculator games like with Obliterate on the 83+ back in the days. But would it be used enough to be worth it?
It's worth mentioning here that ACagliano is probably the person that has done the most relating to online multiplayer on the CE, with games like TI-Trek and Uno, as well as Vapor. The source for most of these are publicly available on Github as well.

As for searching Google with a calculator, I can't imagine a use case for that that would be worth the tremendous amount of time and effort required to make it work.
epsilon5 wrote:
It's worth mentioning here that ACagliano is probably the person that has done the most relating to online multiplayer on the CE, with games like TI-Trek and Uno, as well as Vapor. The source for most of these are publicly available on Github as well.

As for searching Google with a calculator, I can't imagine a use case for that that would be worth the tremendous amount of time and effort required to make it work.

it just loads the html text off of the url

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours