...so now you can use an ancient math tool in your modern math tool. Calculation inception.

The program has been given the green light by the mods and is available at: https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/2102
Hah that is a cool idea that I hadn't seen before. Well done Smile.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Hah that is a cool idea that I hadn't seen before. Well done Smile.

That means a lot coming from an expert who has been here much longer than me, thanks! I am planning on making an infinite version later, along with possibly a slide rule and Turing machine. That is, if I can use what I know to get it done lol.

This forum section can be equally entertaining and educational!
Very nice job! This will be very fun to play around with Very Happy It's also not too big, and it doesn't take many variables, which is a big plus.
Hi TaterTomorrow,
like I said before, I`m working on a port of your program for the 84+CE.
Here a preview of the new outlooking (abacus still must be placed in the middle):

As you see there is a little problem with deleting pixels...
I have to think more about the code.

If I master it, the port will be named ABACUS CE
Are you using the pxlchg command?
The pxlchg command seems to be causing my problem.
You can take a look at the code of TaterTomorrow on
the page he linked above.

Here the current state:

Until now it was easy to place everything to the middle, I just needed to change some values.
The problem now is that the beads are appearing and disappearing at wrong places.
The original code seems to be by itself unadapted for the CE and causes this,
but changed positions increased the problem now, like you see.

Now I fixed the wrong output caused by placing the beads in the middle (picture in the last post),
by making the horizontal rows of the abacus a bit wider.

But that`s how it will look after moving the beads back to the left:

The beads remaining at the right are two pixels too right.
Something with shifting values seems to go wrong.
That was pretty much the last problem that RoccoLox Programs and I were dealing with when we worked together to debug and optimize the program. Every tick mark that was redrawn was either two pixels off (vertically or horizontally) or made some sort of cool-looking pattern.

That said, the program is looking good, David! If only I had a color TI calculator - then I likely would have already ported the program. Thank you for your work! It means a lot to know that someone cares enough about my concept that they are porting it to different calculator models!

...and the irony of having a semi-serious post being the first post within a joke subforum on April Fool's Day is not lost on me. So technically, I have pranked all of Cemetech! This must be the first real prank of the day on here. Super meta Razz
Well, whether I release a port depends on whether I get this bug away.
In addition, a second problem remains: the beads are quite difficult to see due to the smaller pixels of the TI84+ CE. I`ll need to make more space between them and the Abacus wider or to presentate in the README a concept how to use the Abacus functionally, althought the beads are hard to see.
But the bug is in the moment more important.
I`m going to work some days on it.
Hey TaterTomorrow!

I didn`t find the bug. And anyway, the pixels are to hard to see.
But I didn`t give up, I programmed instead a version for the homescreen.

-under 400 bytes
-auto off
-beads reset
-current number is shown

I`m going to upload it today, so it will be at the archives soon.
You wont be shown as co-author, but I wrote into the README
that I used ideas and code parts of the abacus program which you wrote
together with RoccoloxPrograms.
Though it does not have the same graphics as my version, it looks pretty good. And being under 400 bytes, too? That's nice. I also love that you added three extra slots, giving the user the capability to record 1000 times as many numbers. What if I wanted to buy 10,000 cows but my sophisticated math box couldn't handle such numbers? Seriously though, kudos to you! And thank you for mentioning me in your readme. It's nice being #include'd in things!

Also, this "joke" is becoming more akin to a project than I was originally expecting... but I guess this is the last version of it (for a while at least).
Okay, I'm happy to hear that you're happy with how I included your work in the README!

Until now the file has 4 downloads. Interest seems to have decreased significantly.
But anyway, I'll make sure the program is a good one.

There is still a little wrong appearance left that I'll try to remove.
I want to add a function to reset the currently selected row with a single press of a button.
This makes it easier to calculate with this abacus,
because often you have to set a whole row back to 0 when calculating
and it is easier to just press one key instead of 9 times [<]

I'm also thinking about adding a bead to each row so that each row has 10 pearls.
Then the abacus has an official name: European abacus.
Our two abacuses that we made only have 9 beads per row
and there is no official name for this version.
Calculating with 9 beads per row is also a little more difficult.
So I think I should change my current abacus to 10 beads per row.

What do you think?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours