I played this level about 50 to 100 times (I wasn't counting), and I believe I cannot go much faster than my personal best of 6:12.34.

Image:

I'm just curious, has anyone speedran this game and achieved a time faster than that? This method of speedrunning is as comparable as the original Super Mario game for the NES. I believe it's not possible to win faster than 6 minutes.
Do I interpret this as a challenge?
EDIT:
Could a calc speedrunning scene emerge?
Oxiti8 wrote:
Could a calc speedrunning scene emerge?

Possibly?
There are already multiple faithful recreations of popular speedrunning games.
And that doesn't even count TiBoyCE GameBoy games.
Ok, I interpret this as a challenge, but my best time in this game is (until now) 6:50.14,
so I will have to exercise some time.
I play this game only since yesterday because I thought long time it`s some boring game where is just one easy level existing,
because the developer didn`t make it completely
(the name made me think so, but it was a prejudge).
Thanks for making me curios by posting this topic here,
which motivated me to discover this beautiful game!
It does indeed seem like a boring game, but it's packed with neat little things and features! I'm going to try to get a better time today, since it appears that I hold the record for now and I know I could do better...
This was pretty fun to speedrun Smile.
I played today for the first time in a long time (possibly multiple years?) and got 5:49, 5:47, then finally 5:35.

I know it's possible to go lower than this, but for now it seems this is the record. It may be possible to get below 5:30 with all my strats + optimal gameplay, but I didn't have many mistakes in this run so I think around 5:30 could be the limit.
Darn! I just managed this:

but it's not so special anymore... Sad

Gotta keep working, I guess, and awesome job jeffitus!
Well, I just got a time about 7 seconds faster than my theoretical "limit" Razz.

Since this is likely about as fast as I'll be (barring faster strats) I figured I'd take some time to explain how I got this time, so I guess if you want to discover it for yourself you shouldn't read the rest of this post.
  • First of all, stages 1, 11, 14, 17, 20, 29, and 30 are exactly the same in terms of inputs. Stages 2, 5, 19, 23, and 28 are very similar to these, with the change to be made obvious if you know how the level works. The path I take (which I believe to be optimal) is to jump off the platform under the pipe, starting to press right just before you hit the ground. This jump will take you to the button platform, which you should just hold right on, releasing right temporarily to ensure that you land at the bottom, then holding right again to exit the level.
  • Stages 3, and 12 are also identical, with 15, 24 and 27 having only being slightly different. Just hold right for the whole level.
  • For stage 4, hold down and right, releasing down as needed to get through the level.
  • For stage 6, move right after you bounce off the first platform to hit the single block that sticks out from the ceiling, then bounce on the first floating pattern, land on the button as you come down, then hold/release right to finish the level.
  • For stage 7, press right to land on the bottom spikes, land on the button, and hold/release right to finish.
  • For stage 8, you can make the normal first jump as long as you start holding right before hitting the starting platform, then jump again as soon as you land on the button, jumping over both floating platforms, then make another jump to avoid the final stripe and finish the level.
  • For stage 9, press right 2 or 3 times, depending on when you start pressing it, to get to the button then to the end of the level.
  • For stage 10, you have to hold right carefully to avoid hitting spikes at the beginning, then jump to the floating platform, jump to the button, and hold right.
  • Stage 13 is obvious, but if you start spamming left and right before the level starts, you will skip the falling animation, saving some time.
  • For stage 16, make the first jump as normal, then move left and right to press/unpress the button until the door opens.
  • For stage 18, make the normal first jump, jump again to get right above the pipe, and wait for the blocks to collapse.
  • For stage 21, move to the stripe on the far right of the button, then just to the left of the door, then just to the left of the pipe so that you hit the bottom of the pipe.
  • Finally, stage 22 is normal with a second jump added to avoid the invisible wall.
Jeffitus wrote:
Well, I just got a time about 7 seconds faster than my theoretical "limit" Razz.

Since this is likely about as fast as I'll be (barring faster strats) I figured I'd take some time to explain how I got this time, so I guess if you want to discover it for yourself you shouldn't read the rest of this post.
  • First of all, stages 1, 11, 14, 17, 20, 29, and 30 are exactly the same in terms of inputs. Stages 2, 5, 19, 23, and 28 are very similar to these, with the change to be made obvious if you know how the level works. The path I take (which I believe to be optimal) is to jump off the platform under the pipe, starting to press right just before you hit the ground. This jump will take you to the button platform, which you should just hold right on, releasing right temporarily to ensure that you land at the bottom, then holding right again to exit the level.
  • Stages 3, and 12 are also identical, with 15, 24 and 27 having only being slightly different. Just hold right for the whole level.
  • For stage 4, hold down and right, releasing down as needed to get through the level.
  • For stage 6, move right after you bounce off the first platform to hit the single block that sticks out from the ceiling, then bounce on the first floating pattern, land on the button as you come down, then hold/release right to finish the level.
  • For stage 7, press right to land on the bottom spikes, land on the button, and hold/release right to finish.
  • For stage 8, you can make the normal first jump as long as you start holding right before hitting the starting platform, then jump again as soon as you land on the button, jumping over both floating platforms, then make another jump to avoid the final stripe and finish the level.
  • For stage 9, press right 2 or 3 times, depending on when you start pressing it, to get to the button then to the end of the level.
  • For stage 10, you have to hold right carefully to avoid hitting spikes at the beginning, then jump to the floating platform, jump to the button, and hold right.
  • Stage 13 is obvious, but if you start spamming left and right before the level starts, you will skip the falling animation, saving some time.
  • For stage 16, make the first jump as normal, then move left and right to press/unpress the button until the door opens.
  • For stage 18, make the normal first jump, jump again to get right above the pipe, and wait for the blocks to collapse.
  • For stage 21, move to the stripe on the far right of the button, then just to the left of the door, then just to the left of the pipe so that you hit the bottom of the pipe.
  • Finally, stage 22 is normal with a second jump added to avoid the invisible wall.

Whoa! That time is insane! Good job!
So far I can't seem to manage anything passed 5:33.53, so I'm not gonna put up any more pictures just yet. I am, however, determined to beat the score of 5:23! I know the key to beating it, but I just can't manage it yet...

Read it and weep
Since so many people have been wondering, I'll give an explanation as to how I got my time that fast.

Note: to save time, I hold the proper keys for each level down BEFORE the level starts
For levels 1, 2, 11, 14, 17, 19, 20, 23, 28, 29, and 30, I hold the keys that move the elephant right and up. After the elephant jumps off the floating platform, I release up and continue holding right. After hitting the button and falling off the button platform, I pause for a second and then continue holding right until I reach the goal.
For levels 3, 12, 15, 24, 25, 26, and 27, I just hold right the whole time to reach the goal.
For level 4, I hold right and down as the level starts, and then release, re-press, and re-release and re-re-press the down button to reach the goal. I never let go of the right button.
For level 5, I hold right and up to jump on the floating platform. After that jump, I move the elephant to the rightermost part of the button. As soon as the button is pressed, I immediately tap right to fall off the platform and then start holding right again to make it to the goal.
For level 6, I do the same as Jeffitus.
For level 7, I tap right to fall all the way down to those spikes. After bouncing off them, I hit the elephant's head on the ceiling tile that juts down before falling on the rightermost part of the button and immediately tapping right as soon as the button is pressed. After releasing right, I hold it again to get to the goal.
For level 8, I start it off the same as level 1, by holding right and up to do the first jump. The "dangerous" colored tiles actually only kill you if you stand on top of them; hitting their sides won't kill you. As the elephant passes over the button, I release right for a short time in order to avoid the danger color on the edge. I then continue holding right and up to jump off the button. After releasing right again so as to not get on the platform above the goal, I hold right until the goal.
For level 9, I do the same as Jeffitus.
For level 10, I start if off the same as level 1. However, after pressing the button and falling off that platform, I don't release right and instead hold it all the way until the goal.
For level 13, I found it's more reliable to just hold the left button as the level starts. This skips the falling animation without hurting your wrists Smile. Other than that, make sure you completely release the left button before hitting the right button (and vice versa) otherwise it won't count and the elephant won't move.
For level 16, I start it off the same as level 1, and then just walk back and forth, off and on the button. The button has to be pressed 5 times.
For level 18, I start it off the same as level 1, but instead of releasing right, I continue holding it so as to get on the platform right above the goal. Then I let the platforms collapse under my massive weight (must've been all those donuts or something) and get to the goal.
For level 21, I hold right until I reach the rightermost part of the button. That tile will pull the elephant down to press the button. After the button is pressed, I move the elephant 2 tiles to the right in order to fall down. Once low enough, I hold right until I reach the tile 3 left of the goal. I stop to let this gravity pull me all the way down to the ground, then just hold right to finish the level.
For level 22, I use the same route as level 8 (the dangerous color level).

Overall, the level that saved me the most time was level 25 with the randomly opening door. I was lucky enough for the door to open right as the elephant approached it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours