How do you keep your fitness good even though you (maybe) use
many hours a day computers (smartphone, PC, computer).
I mean unhealthy things like generally looking at displays for too long,
staying awake whole nights (e. g., writing programs or surfing the internet),
poor body posture, poor nutrition (many fast food), to little movement...

What do you do against that this things can damage your fitness?
I play tennis for 2 hours every other day or so. also I have a gym class. I eat healthy food, like Hershey kisses and Gogo Squeeze. Fitness is my passion.
I do yoga every other day or so, also I take roughly 10,000 steps every work shift according to my FitBit. Other than that I go on hikes with my family and our new dog sometimes (~once a week)
arusher999 wrote:
I play tennis for 2 hours every other day or so. also I have a gym class. I eat healthy food, like Hershey kisses and Gogo Squeeze. Fitness is my passion.

I don't think that Hershey kisses are exactly widely known for being healthy.
Edit: I do soccer, swimming, tennis, basketball, and am in a really rigorous PE class (we run for 50 min a day).
I train in karate once or twice a week which at the moment is probably my only serious physical activity, I definitely should be doing more. I need to push myself to go running a few times a week again. I do play drums as well which can be a good workout depending on the kind of music I'm playing.

As boring as it might sound, I find that the best things for me are to drink plenty of water, go to bed at a decent time (I get up at 5am for work during the week, so I try to get to bed around 9-9:30pm), and get outdoors as well to get some sunlight. Admittedly, I've gotten better at these as I've gotten older (I'm in my late 30's), especially the bed thing. Sleep is important, and I know that it can be hard when you have ideas racing through your head for programs you want to write, or games you want to play, etc. But I've found that I have higher quality coding/gaming sessions when I'm getting decent rest.

If you have trouble sleeping, then try to do a bit more physical activity during the day to tire yourself physically more. And the drinking water can also help with better quality sleep. I've been told that meditation can be great as well.
I used to be super active (and super fit) ... by football training twice a week, playing on Saturday's and playing basketball 2 nights a week as well + going to 8km jogs every other night + indoor soccer and stuff too etc.

I still play basketball twice a week, but not the other stuff.

My diet is usually ok - but this year I need to improve as I've remained in 'festive season mode' really :S. Getting your diet right and drinking lots of water usually means you can get away with less exercise.

James' point about a decent sleep routine is critical, especially as you get older. I used to be one of the worst for this as I'd regularly stay up til 7am most nights coding or browsing sites/chats etc. However I landed a better job that I really needed to focus on, so correcting my sleeping pattern was critical for this.

I can still stay up late on weekends and such, but not til crazy-o'clock.
DAVID-19 wrote:
How do you keep your fitness good even though you (maybe) use many hours a day computers (smartphone, PC, computer). I mean unhealthy things like generally looking at displays for too long, staying awake whole nights (e. g., writing programs or surfing the internet), poor body posture, poor nutrition (many fast food), to little movement...

What do you do against that this things can damage your fitness?

Even just a little time outdoors each day makes a tremendous difference in your eyesight long-term. Use natural light (open windows) instead of artificial light (electricity-powered lamps) and you'll have a better time keeping a 'normal' sleep schedule. Take something you enjoy doing, and do that early in the mornings to motivate you to wake up at a decent hour. It's way easier to keep waking up in the morning than it is to force yourself to get up in the mornings; allow time for the habit to develop. It's easy to fall back into your old sleep habits, which is where discipline comes into play. A small amount of exercise is way better than none at all, since that means you're at least taking the initiative to get moving. If you get up around sunrise or earlier, you'll be surprised how much time there is in a day. Drinking water will reduce your urge to overeat.

The only exercise I get is in the course of my work, and that's not very much exercise. Bad posture in my teens led to back problems in my 20s, it's not fun. My diet is bad but there's only so many types of food available to me in my short lunch break. I weigh much more than I did when I entered college, but I'm still not considered overweight. I do just enough exercise at work to cancel out any weight gains, but that's not a sustainable strategy.
I'm in my middle school's swim club and I swim 5 times a week for ~2 to 3 hours (during the winter we do land training because my pool is outdoors & it's way too cold to swim). I don't really focus much on my diet but I try to limit myself from eating too much junk food, candy, etc. I also do stretches + yoga after my swim practice, and in Japan P.E. class is a lot more hard compared to the stuff they do in the U.S.
Swimming is an excellent way to stay fit as there are loads of different things you can do in a pool depending on your skill level. Everything from swimming laps to just wading in waist height water walking laps + you can have fun jumping around and such. Pool access is usually pretty cost effective and there are other facilities that you can usually take advantage of inclusive (in Australia anyway).
Just gonna leave this here.

I try really hard to maintain a proper sleep schedule- I wake up at 6 am every day (yes, even on weekends) and try to sleep by 11, though I frequently go to sleep earlier than that. In addition to whatever benefits are generally attributed to having a consistent sleep schedule, I know exactly how many hours of free time I have every day, which is pretty useful (albeit occasionally stressful)

I started going on daily walks/runs (weather-and-time-permitting) and it has generally helped with my overall productivity and mood. I was quite surprised at how effective this was.

Also, social interaction outside of computery things- works wonders Evil or Very Mad

My posture sucks, though. I'm pretty tall (6'4", 193cm) so I spend almost my entire day looking down. This almost universally leads to slouching in my chair to bring my eyes level with my screen. Unfortunately I can't, like, elevate or angle my laptop because of my hands. Eventually I'll build myself a standing desk or something, but I'm currently limited in my options.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours