I am a little confused on how to set up the CE Dev toolchain. I read the instructions but they don't make sense to me. Can someone explain how to do this in simpler terms? When I try to use the make command on the hello world example it says environment variables not set, what do I do?
What OS are you on?
I am using XFCE Linux (debian)
Ah, I've installed the toolchain on debian before. It's a bit more of a pain. But it's not that bad.
The instructions used to be located on the github's wiki, but they are now located here.
https://ce-programming.github.io/toolchain/static/getting-started.html

If all you need to do is add the environment variables, you can execute these commands in your terminal:

Code:
export CEDEV=(path to CEdev folder. ie: /opt/CEdev)
export PATH=$CEDEV/bin:$PATH

Enjoy the toolchain!
Hmm, so I downloaded the ce dev file for linux, extracted it with root permissions to /opt, ran the commands, and when I try to access the examples folder it says permission denied. Do I need to do something else? Do I have to place all of the folders that are in the CEdev zip file in opt? It's still not working.. Im not on a debian system, its a lightweight version of Ubuntu.
arusher999 wrote:
Hmm, so I downloaded the ce dev file for linux, extracted it with root permissions to /opt, ran the commands, and when I try to access the examples folder it says permission denied. Do I need to do something else? Do I have to place all of the folders that are in the CEdev zip file in opt? It's still not working.. Im not on a debian system, its a lightweight version of Ubuntu.

Don't extract stuff with root permissions. That's why you're getting permissions issues later.

I personally install it at ~/CEdev - it doesn't really matter where as long as you put the same path in the "export" command.
Forgot to add this, if you are not the root user, you need to add "sudo" to the beginning of all the commands.

Since you are not, I'd recommend extracting CEdev to your home directory (/home/(userName)), as you will be able to access everything without root permission.

And a quick side note, XFCE is a desktop environment, not an distribution like Ubuntu or Debian.
KnightsWhoSayNi wrote:
Forgot to add this, if you are not the root user, you need to add "sudo" to the beginning of all the commands.

Do not just do this. You don't need root at all to install the toolchain, just install it somewhere the current user has permission to access. In general, the solution to stuff being owned by root because you used root to copy it is not to use the root user even more in order to access it, but to actually fix the permissions issue. You can do this by either installing it elsewhere without using root, or by using chown to change the owner of the directory to your user.
ok so can I just create a folder called CEdev in my "home" folder and do it there?
Yes,
"~" is an abbreviation for your home directory
no, just take ownership of the /opt/CEdev directory
KnightsWhoSayNi wrote:

Since you are not, I'd recommend extracting CEdev to your home directory (/home/(userName)), as you will be able to access everything without root permission.

And a quick side note, XFCE is a desktop environment, not an distribution like Ubuntu or Debian.

K got it imma do this. Also yeah I know, didn't mean to refer to xfce like that. Also, xfce rocks.
I could personally go either way with XFCE or KDE. Both are nice.
However, if you or a loved one is using GNOME bring them to me and I will slap them so hard they stop.
TheDarkBomber wrote:
no, just take ownership of the /opt/CEdev directory

This is a bad idea.
When I tried to run make on a different file, I get this error: makefile:6: /home/arusher999/CEdev//include/.makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/home/arusher999/CEdev//include/.makefile'. Stop.

I am trying to use the make command on a Chip84 emulator for the ce.
arusher999 wrote:
When I tried to run make on a different file, I get this error: makefile:6: /home/arusher999/CEdev//include/.makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/home/arusher999/CEdev//include/.makefile'. Stop.

I am trying to use the make command on a Chip84 emulator for the ce.

That program was made for an older version of the toolchain, so you'll need to update the makefile. See https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases/tag/v9.0, section "Updating your projects for this new toolchain version".
Do I just copy and paste the template code to the actual makefile or something else?
that's what I did, i just changed the name and description. This is how I set up the toolchain on my mac, which is similar to linux when setting up the toolchain(according to the toolchain docs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxC4sArTw8E&t=53s
Ok so I am trying to update this makefile: https://github.com/kyleleong/chip84ce/blob/master/makefile , to the new makefile version: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/blob/master/examples/template/makefile.
How would I do that?

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours