This project has unfortunately been placed on the backburner. I currently do not have access to a real CE at the moment and unfortunately do not have the time to work on the program.

If at some point I do get more time, I am interested in looking to port this to the TI-Nspire using Lua.

----------
Math Finder v0.75
Math Finder is a program for the TI 84 Plus CE that can find the volumes and surface areas of geometric shapes. It is still under heavy development but I thought I would share my progress with the Cemetech community. It is written entirely in TI-Basic to ensure that it would work on all OS versions. Originally I was going to write it using ICE Compiler but after some consideration, I wrote it in TI-Basic. This decision would pay off after TI decided on a whim to remove ASM support.

Now for some eye candy:

Please note that screenshots will not be updated as frequently as the program.

It is important to note that it is still a work in progress, as you may have noticed in the gif where the quit option on the main menu throws an error. There were many errors in that one recording, most of which have been fixed. If there are any issues or bugs that you find, please reply below with an explanation. I do plan to continue development, make improvements, and fix bugs.

This is my first project post on Cemetech, so I hope I did everything right.

Not Started: Exclamation
Arrow Revamp the extras menu.
Arrow Revamp the second page menu.
Arrow Add surface area functionality to existing formulas.
Arrow Add more formulas
Arrow Add more screenshots.
Arrow Complete rewriting & refactoring of all old code segments.

In Progress...
Arrow Setup Wizard and Settings menu.
Arrow Fix errors Exclamation Important Exclamation (85%)
Arrow Replace uppercase text with lowercase text. (80%)

Completed:
Arrow Revamp Main Menu with new look - ✅ Done
Arrow Add slope formula. - ✅ Done
Arrow Update pyramid section. - ✅ Done
Arrow Add least common multiple. - ✅ Done
Arrow Add greatest common denominator function. - ✅ Done
Arrow Import newly created icon. - ✅ Done

Features
Arrow Finds the volumes of Cylinders, Rectangular Prisms, Cubes, Pyramids, and with more to come.
Arrow Finds the surface areas of Rectangular Prisms, Pyramids, Cubes, Cylinders, and with more to come.
Arrow Includes Distance, Midpoint, and Slope formulas.
Arrow Compatible with your favorite shells! The program even has a Cesium icon. Very Happy
Arrow Compatible with all OS versions 5.3 or newer. (Math Finder might be compatible with OS 5.2.2 but using that old OS version could significantly degrade your experience with Math Finder. Math Finder has not been tested on anything older than OS 5.3.)

Graphing Calculator
Calculator Compatibility:
Fully compatible:
Arrow TI-84 Plus CE
Arrow TI-84 Plus CE-T
Arrow TI-83 Premium CE
Arrow TI-83 Premium CE Edition Python
Arrow TI-84 Plus CE-T Python Edition

Not tested, but might be compatible:
Question TI-84 Plus Color Sliver Edition

WARNING: this calculator has a much slower processor than the TI-84 Plus CE series. Please do not expect everything to run smoothly. This program was designed and tested on a TI-84 Plus CE. It may also be hard to fit such a big program into the limited onboard memory included with the CSE. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Not supported:
Exclamation Have a monochrome calculator? Well alas, Math Finder is not compatible with your TI non-color edition calculator. It is possible to download and run the program, but the text will go off the edges of the screen and the main menu will be impossible to navigate.
Exclamation Any non-TI calculator.

Feature Idea
All great features come from ideas. This is just the beginning.
Arrow Add some unit circle magic.
Arrow Add popular math mnemonics.

Just a reminder before you download, this program is still in the alpha phase of development.
While most of the features are complete and are currently working perfectly, there may be a few bugs and graphical glitches. These will be worked out before the final release. I always try and have no program breaking bugs that can plague a release and require a supplemental update.

The current version of Math Finder is v0.75 and contains numerous improvements over v0.74.
Staying up to date is important with beta software.

Download:
Arrow http://ceme.tech/DL2028
Arrow https://github.com/jake01756/Math-Finder

The GitHub Link may be more up to date then the Cemetech Archives.

Here is a small snippet of code:

Code:
Lbl 3
Menu("Cube","Volume",56,"Surface Area",57,"Back",85
Lbl 56
Disp "Cube - v=a*a*a OR"
Disp "V=A^3"
Input "Edge?",A
A^3->V
Disp "Volume is",V
Pause
Menu("Do another?","Yes",56,"No",3)
Lbl 57
Disp "Cube - sa=6A^2"
Input "Edge?",A
6*A^2->V
Disp "Surface Area is",V
Pause
Menu("Do another?","Yes",57,"No",3)

Possible TI-Nspire Port:
A TI-Nspire CX II/TI-Nspire CX II CAS port might be possible and might happen someday. But that might be far off because of the lack of good programming on it. Even with great tools such as ndless, I would really like to ensure that the port would work on all recent versions of the OS (OS 4.5.3 and up). With the TI-Nspire port, the program would most likely be split up into different functions. A CAS-only version might be possible and could really expand what I can do with the program. With the Nspire series, it is surprisingly easy for programs to detect what type of calculator they are running on (CAS or non-CAS).

Have any feature suggestions? Feel free to leave a comment below, and they might get added.

I hope you enjoy using Math Finder as much as I did making it. There is a big update coming soon. Very Happy
Post last updated on 4/3/21. Can you even see me? I'm really small.[b]
looks neat!! I'll need this for my math class. Laughing

Waiting for download Smile
I also plan to add *many, many more* formulas. I'll try and fix errors, tonight and tomorrow (Eastern Time) and release a download (in the beta stages). (When I figure out how to submit things to the archives, I think I know but am not entirely sure.) While the program is in the beta stages you'll find many odds and missing options.

Anyway, back to source coder 3!
Just uploaded two versions to the archives. The first version has a bug that the activation function would treat all products keys as "valid". The purpose of the product activation screen is to get people to read the warning. I have fixed this bug in the second version. It is possible however that the first version will be approved for the archives first and the second version may not be approved as quickly, I cannot do anything about this.
I don't know if you already know this, but most lower case letters take up 2 bytes, while most upper case letters take up 1 byte; using lots of lower case letters in your program will enlarge the program and take up more Archive memory.
I think lower case A-D, S, T, Z, and others used for stat variables are 1 bytes, but G, O, and some others take up 2.

I also got a syntax error from using the slope formula and putting a negative number (not via the minus operator) for D.
ShinyGardevoir wrote:
I don't know if you already know this, but most lower case letters take up 2 bytes, while most upper case letters take up 1 byte; using lots of lower case letters in your program will enlarge the program and take up more Archive memory.
I think lower case A-D, S, T, Z, and others used for stat variables are 1 bytes, but G, O, and some others take up 2.

I also got a syntax error from using the slope formula and putting a negative number (not via the minus operator) for D.

If this is for the CE (which it looks like it does), using lowercase isn't too big of a problem since users have access to a glorious 1.5MB of RAM. It's only a problem on monochrome since they only have ~24,000 bytes of RAM.
Quote:
If this is for the CE (which it looks like it does), using lowercase isn't too big of a problem since users have access to a glorious 1.5MB of RAM. It's only a problem on monochrome since they only have ~24,000 bytes of RAM.
This program is for the TI-84 Plus CE or the european equivalent. It will also work on the Python edition calculators as well.

Quote:
This error is currently under investigation. The most likely cause of this is from the conversion from Sourcecoder 3 to the execution on the CE itself.

When the next version of the program is ready to be released, this bug will be fixed.
Time for some eye candy. I made this setup wizard to make it easy to configure initial settings.

Screenshots:

OS Selection:

If the user selects OS 5.5 or higher:

If the user selects OS 5.2.2 or earlier:

The reason I included the OS question is because I am bringing the Scrolling Menu CE program in as a dependency. There will always be a backup menu option, just incase the user is running a newer OS version that doesn't support ASM.
I just recently saw this topic (don't know how I missed it). I think that this all looks awesome. I am, however, concerned with the size of the program and the optimization of it. Using things like Menu( could definitely make the code become not very optimized and cause memory leaks. With the addition of the scrolling Menu CE program, are you still planning on having this be compatible with the CSE?
You've done a great job so far. Keep up the good work!
Those screenshots look pretty cool! I don't really understand a few parts though. Why are you enforcing people to use OS 5.3.0? The only reasons I can think of are either the piecewise function or running Archived and Asm programs. I'm pretty sure the program wouldn't even send to OS 5.2.2 if you had the piecewise function and it seems unnecessary to force people to keep the program Archived. Don't forget that you can use still use Asm( to run assembly programs even on OS 5.3.x and 5.4.x.

Also, what is this?
Code:
Disp "Ch[|e][|c]ki[n]g [|a][|c][t]i|v[|a][t]io[n]"
Disp "status..."
DelVar X
|LVOL(1)->X
|LVOL(2)->N
If X=89813250:Then
   Goto 0
Else
   Disp ""
   Disp "I[n]|v[|a]li[|d] P[r]o[|d]|u[|c][t] K[|e]y."
   Wait 1.2
   Goto 3A
End

First of all, those Goto statements are a big no-no because they cause a memory leak. Second, why is there a product key at all? You're just limiting your audience and they'll likely just switch to one of the hundred other math helpers out there. If they know anything about programming, it'll be trivial to bypass it. I strongly feel like you should just remove it if you want people to download your program.

Other than that, the program looks pretty useful, keep up the good work!
I mean, isn't it common for people that make TI-Basic programs while assuming that their audience uses 5.3.0? If the audience has newer calculators, the newer OSes serve to restrict features of the calculator. If they have OS 5.5, I'm pretty sure they can downgrade to 5.3.0.

Edit: You don't need ASM for the scrolling menu, unless you need the speed to be extremely fast.
It's been a while, I know. Life gets in the way. This project was put on the back burner, and then the freezer. I have even misplaced my CE Crying. I still don't know where it is. Thank you CEmu. But I haven't forgotten. I am back.

I am now starting on version 0.76. In this version I plan to rewrite code to make things faster and attempt to design a slimmer menu system. By version 0.80 I hope to have a working build that I can officially call a beta.

I am still here, I may have been forgotten, but one day, I hope to be on the homepage of Cemetech. Even if it is in my wildest dreams. Very Happy

Onward! To a better Math Finder for all! Arrow
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Second, why is there a product key at all? You're just limiting your audience and they'll likely just switch to one of the hundred other math helpers out there. If they know anything about programming, it'll be trivial to bypass it. I strongly feel like you should just remove it if you want people to download your program.

That is old code that I just haven't gotten the chance to axe yet. The plan was that would there to try and get people to actually read the readme file that came with the download.
This looks pretty cool. What kinds of formulas will it have? I'm in Geometry in school right now lol.
So right now, I haven't worked on the program in a while (I'm currently in the planning stages of v0.76 right now).

But all the formulas should be listed in the first post.
After you add these functions to the program, will you be planning on adding more? Not just area/volume of shapes and basic formulas (no offense), but more geometry functions. I know that there is only so much you can do with the limited space on the CE, but I would love to see something different from the hundreds of math programs for the CE out there.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours