Well, it's time to try this!
It might go good, it might go bad, but I'll just try.

I do not know yet for sure what language I will be using, though probably Python.
What will it be: I don't know the details yet, but I will make a textadventure.
Why a textadventure? Because I want my entry to be accessible. I want that blind people will also be able to use it. So I will not have graphics.

The game will probably involve some kind of dragon.
I am going to do it about a dragon that has a cold. You have to cure it before the wood is on fire!

Python3 wrote:
Welcome to the game!

Please type: resume, start or exit
start
We are setting up the game right now!

Oh no! the dragon has a cold!!! Please help!
As everyone knows, dragons that have a cold are really dangerous, especially here in the woods, oh please help to make sure the trees don't get on fire!
Dear person, please get the dragon some medicine before it is too late!
Some time has gone by, and I have worked further on refining the details and working on the game!

I have just today written for myself how it is going to be in big lines, also somewhat detailed already, I have made it possible to walk to everywhere and I am now going to create the places, as in, by giving them all a description that shows when you are there.

Python3 wrote:
Welcome to the game!

Please type: resume, start or exit
start
We are setting up the game right now!

Oh no! the dragon has a cold!!! Please help!
As everyone knows, dragons that have a cold are really dangerous, especially here in the woods, oh please help to make sure the trees don't get on fire!
Dear person, please get the dragon some medicine before it is too late! Maybe the herbal shop has something. You can find it somewhat to the North.
OH NO!!! Some trees just got on fire, it might be too late! Please help!

I will be your hands and eyes. Just give me commands to tell me what to do. You can give commands like: 'go to ...' or 'take ...' or 'use ...' etc. and you can say that I should walk to somewhere by just saying 'North', 'East', 'South', 'West'.
Use commands like: /inventory or /i to see your inventory, /help or /h to show help, /exit or /e to exit the game and /score or /s to view your score.
---

You are standing on a field that extends out to the West. You can see a wood to the North and a house to the East.
North

You are standing on a road crossing in the woods. To the north you can see a fallen tree and to the south you see a field of grass. To the East is a cave and to the West is a gate.
Looks good! Keep it up!
I have today managed to get the game in a playable state!
I should now only test it and optimize some code. I really should optimize, becuase it is right now just a mess...
I have almost 850 lines of code, which would probably be possible to bring down to 700.

So the next week I am going to work on code optimizing and testing the game!

I am also going to make an executable file from it for both Linux and Windows!
Though I should still test how good that works on different OS versions
I have added comments to my program, optimized it a bit and tested it!
It seems to be almost ready!

Though I know that I am not always good with English grammar and such, so would anyone be willing to check my grammar? If so, I can make a file with the sentences to make it more easy to check it.
Privacy_Dragon wrote:
Though I know that I am not always good with English grammar and such, so would anyone be willing to check my grammar? If so, I can make a file with the sentences to make it more easy to check it.

I'm definitely willing to take a look over everything, just send me a PM with all of the sentences.
Feel free to shoot me a PM as well, I'd be happy to take a look at it! Very Happy
To make an executable:
echo "#!/usr/bin/python3\n" | cat - prog.py > tmp && mv tmp prog.py && chmod +x prog.py

EDIT: Sorry, I can't just assume you're using a *nix OS. On Windows, if you're going to do that, you'll need something like Cygwin.
Michael0x18 wrote:
To make an executable:
echo "#!/usr/bin/python3\n" | cat - prog.py > tmp && mv tmp prog.py && chmod +x prog.py

I am using 'pyinstaller' to create an executable. That seems to work. For Linux also on several OS's.
Though I cannot make it for Windows 10. So I would probably have to find someone to do that for me, or find somewhere a windows10 laptop that I can use for it. Or get it finally working in QEMU...
Well, GNU/Linux and MacOS and FreeBSD and whatever else all use something called the executable bit. If you set it, your file is an executable.
Yes, I know.
But what I more mean is to create an executable so that the user does not need Python installed to play the game.
Ah I see.
That makes a lot more sense!
I am now awaiting the feedback on my grammar and once I have received the feedback I am going to change the stuff where needed, according to it.

After that I am going to create the executable for Linux.
I also want an executable for Windows10, but I don't have a windows laptop. I also can't succeed to put it in QEMU.
But since 'pyinstaller' needs to be used on the OS that you create the executable for, I cannot create a windows10 executable myself.

So is there anyone with Windows10 and Python who could do that once I have received and done something with the grammar feedback?
I have just submitted the entry, after using iPhoenix' feedback.
I should have been to sleep more than an hour ago...

So the windows10 executable could not be made, because there is no time for that anymore.. Sad
But there is a windows7 executable, though I don't know if that will also work on windows10.
Privacy_Dragon wrote:

So the windows10 executable could not be made, because there is no time for that anymore.. Sad
But there is a windows7 executable, though I don't know if that will also work on windows10.

Windows 7 compatibility mode is a thing on 10 and it should work perfectly fine, dont worry.
Ah, that is good to know!

I just managed to look for that on a school laptop and that seems indeed to work, though not really...

At least on the virtual machine on Windows 7 there isn't a HOME variable, but a HOMEDRIVE and a HOMEPATH folder. So I set the program to use those when on Windows..
But now this school laptop with Windows 10 doesn't have them, but has the HOME variable...
Which makes it still not work...
And then even the python file might not work on Windows 10 because of that. ....
Sad
There are currently known two bugs!
- It does NOT work on windows 10 (which.will get fixed)
- After trying to go in the fire when you can't, the game can 'crash' (I will fix this too)

EDIT: there is something wrong with the Google Drive link that Epsilon posted in the voting post. Apparently Google thinks that my program is evil or something?
Though for now it can still be accessed via my webserver...
(remove all the spaces and it will get you to the file Wink

Code:
http:// webdragon . ydns . eu : 5555 / file / The -quest -to -heal -the -dragon_1.0.zip
I will also soon upload the code to Github!
Once I have decided if I should use a license and if so, what license, I will upload the code to Github and also the executables probably.
I just got the feedback of my entry!
It is also on github!
And the executables for Windows should work now!
https://github.com/PrivacyDragon/the_quest_to_heal_the_dragon/releases/
Please report bugs if you find them!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours