Hi,

Does anyone know where I could get a faceplate and keys for a Ti84+CE, or a sacrificial model that can provide the same parts? My daughter left her calculator on top of her bedside lamp, forgot about this and then turned the lamp on.

The faceplate, cover and around 20 keys are now melted plastic goo but the calculator still "works", with the electronics, display, battery, keypad and base all being fine. Unfortunately without the keys and a faceplate to hold them it isn't usable. I'm really annoyed that Ti can't/won't provide the few bits of plastic needed to get a £130 calculator working again.

I've bought her a replacement one but my son starts his GCSEs in September, so any help to get it working beforehand would be appreciated.
The only way I'm aware of to get these parts is to buy a broken calculator off of Ebay. Unfortunately, broken TI-84 Plus CEs (especially Python Editions since they're so new) are rare to come by and often far more expensive than they any right to be ($40+). Maybe the community can model some buttons that can be 3D printed, I have the dimensions of each key handy. I'm not sure how test proctors would react if they noticed the keys were DIY though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the rubber membrane underneath the keys could have melted enough that it needs to be replaced as well. If worst comes to worst and you can't repair the calculator, I know there's a few people willing to buy a calculator for parts. If you don't want to sell it and it still connects to a computer, you can emulate the calculator on the computer using CEmu. It's is similar to TI-Smartview CE, TI's official emulator, except CEmu is free, open source, and far more feature-rich. This way, even if the calculator hardware is unusable, you still have the ability to use the software on a computer.
Zummi wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know where I could get a faceplate and keys for a Ti84+CE, or a sacrificial model that can provide the same parts? My daughter left her calculator on top of her bedside lamp, forgot about this and then turned the lamp on.

The faceplate, cover and around 20 keys are now melted plastic goo but the calculator still "works", with the electronics, display, battery, keypad and base all being fine. Unfortunately without the keys and a faceplate to hold them it isn't useable. I'm really annoyed that Ti can't/won't provide the few bits of plastic needed to get a £130 calculator working again.

I've bought her a new one but my son starts his GCSEs in September, so any help to get it working beforehand would be appreciated.

This might not be the best solution if you're short on time since I live in the US, but I'm willing to send you one of my TI-84 PCEs for free if you pay for shipping. I'm sorry about your calculator, that really sucks. PM me if you're interested.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours