For those who remotely know Linux, installing a TI-84 Plus CE emulator is a breeze. Even for an Linux amateur, like me, it's pretty straight forward when you have an experienced user like Jacobly to carry you! However, I wanted the lay out the steps because I know I'm going to mix them up in the future.

Since this topic is specifically about the Raspberry Pi, I want to start with the required hardware. The lowest powered Pi I recommend would be a Pi 3. Although CEmu will run on lower powered Pis such as the Pi Zero W, it will emulate at a fraction the speed you would expect from a physical TI-84 Plus CE. The Pi 3 ensures that CEmu will always emulate at full speed.

Since Pis are so low powered, they can't run full fledged CEmu, they have to run a stripped down version called SDL. You can install it by running these commands in the terminal:
Code:
sudo apt install libsdl2-dev
git clone --recursive https://github.com/CE-Programming/CEmu
cd CEmu/core
make
cd ../gui/sdl
make

Once the installation is complete, make sure your TI-84 Plus CE ROM is located somewhere on the Pi. I do not know how to dump the ROM with a Raspberry Pi since it's normally a feature in CEmu, but CEmu SDL doesn't have it. Maybe someone can reply with some instructions? Once you have the ROM, you can now run CEmu!
  1. Change the directory to CEmu/gui/sdl
  2. Run the command `./cemu-sdl -r path/to.rom`
    You can optionally add `--keymap smartpad` if you want to use your physical calculator to control the CEmu keyboard. Other command line arguments are documented here (Note: some do not work in SDL)

CEmu should now appear and start the calculator! All you will see is the screen. Do be sure to read the Wiki, but I'll mention how to control the calculator. One way is to use the keyboard bindings. Alternatively, you can use SmartPad by installing the app on the calculator, running the app, then plugging the calculator into the Pi.

If you use SmartPad to control CEmu, you will likely run into issues where pressing calculator buttons cause Linux to do random things. To fix this:
  1. Run the command to create a folder `sudo mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d`
  2. Now you can create and edit a configuration file with `sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-smartpad.conf`
  3. Add the following lines to the file:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "ti smartpad"
       MatchUSBID "0451:e010"
       Option "XkbLayout" ""
       Option "XkbVariant" ""
       Option "XkbOptions" "srvrkeys:none"
    EndSection
  4. Save the file and exit. SmartPad will no longer trigger random actions!

I believe that's all the steps I took to get this working. Thank you very much to Jacobly for walking me though the process!
I just put the Qt version on my Raspberry Pi 4. Keep in mind this is on arm64.
Wow, can someone show how to install TiLP on the rpi4? Thanks.
Use the usual upstream install script, shortlinked at https://ti-pla.net/tilpinst . You'll need to install the build dependencies (listed by the script for a number of distros) for the build to succeed, of course.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours