Hi all,

A friend of my does want to make a rpg game.
He doesn't have real programming experience, but I said that I would help him with it.
So I am trying to learn him programming and to help him making the game when he can program good enough to start with it.
But there is one problem: I have no idea in what language it could best be programmed.
What do you recommend?
I would appreciate to hear!

And what are good ways to learn someone programming?
I'm not really good at learning stuff to other people....
So any recommendations on that?
I would love to hear!
If you're talking absolute beginner in every way, then Scratch might be a good introduction.

If he has a fair idea of the concepts behind programming, Gamemaker 2 is decently user friendly and is quite powerful for what it is.
I would suggest python or perl. Both have pretty good string processing, which is what you would need for an RPG game. Parsing user input in Scratch, on the other hand... *shudders*
Michael0x18 wrote:
I would suggest python or perl. Both have pretty good string processing, which is what you would need for an RPG game. Parsing user input in Scratch, on the other hand... *shudders*

Hmm.. then maybe Python would be usable?
Oxiti8 wrote:
If you're talking absolute beginner in every way

On school they try to learn us a very little bit Python, but that's actually almost nothing. we just had three lessons or something like that, and it goes slow.

But then Python might be a good choice because that's also what school wants people to learn, but on the other hand, then with the lessons on school he will already know everything told...

I am myself better with C than Python currently, I also like C more than Python, because it's stricter in some way.
hmm....

But then again, does anyone know good tips for how to learn someone programming?
Because without me learning it good to him, it won't get far...
Privacy_Dragon wrote:

But then again, does anyone know good tips for how to learn someone programming?
Because without me learning it good to him, it won't get far...

Theres a good game thats free called code combat. Look it up. Basically, you program an adventurer through a dungeon, whilst learning the basics of a programming language. Python is there and so is JavaScript.

Once your friends got the basics down from that. Like completing a few dungeons, id reccomend pygame, for making a rpg. There a bunch of good videogames that use pygame as the engine, for example DDLC.
I recommend C. I will be learning to code C better, so when I get better, then maybe I can be of assistance. However, if you want to set your foot in the right direction, I suggest talking to MateoC. He knows C really well, and is usually on to teach basically. Also, C provides what I'd say as a more "basic" way to make some really good games, and it not be too hard.

As always, have fun coding too, and never say you can't do it. I did, and I was wrong. XD

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours