Which option for controllers? (read post)
A
 63%  [ 7 ]
B
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Ok, so this is my first actual C project. Obviously it's still work in progress. But after reading the toolchain's docs I think I've got the hang of it. M.U.L.E., for those of you who don't know, is a game originally for the Atari 800/400. It's definitely my personal favorite for the 800 (sorry star raiders!). I plan on recreating the game for the TI84+CE.

I've already got most of the menu done. COMMENCE EYE CANDY

I know it doesn't look all that great, but graphics aren't my current priority.

My current priority, and the main issue with this project, is controllers. I have 2 current options.

A) Use multi calc linking to achieve a multiple users in a game. This isn't ideal, as it would require 4 calculators ($475 USD) to play with 4 people. But, everyone could have their own screen and calculator controls. Allowing for more planet mule style gameplay.

B) Try to get USB joysticks to connect to a hub to connect to the calculator, and receive serial communication with said joysticks. I'd like to use this one, as it would be the most authentic to the actual M.U.L.E. gameplay, but I have no clue how to use the in-development usb libraries.

Which one do you think I should try for? (Poll added)

I'll continue to work on the actual gameplay, which is kinda simple, but I'd like to see what everyone has to say. Thanks!
-Knights

[EDIT] how did I forget this lol
Source Code: https://github.com/KnightsWhoSayNi0/MULE
Plz no globals. Don't use them until you know how to use them.

https://github.com/KnightsWhoSayNi0/MULE/blob/master/examples/mule/src/main.c#L9-L10

Keep up the good work Smile
The project looks good so far. "Based off the screen candy"

I want to see how you're going to implement A or B!!
Thanks Mateo, so used to java lol.

And thanks Alvajoy! To answer your question, I'm not really sure.

Also, commandz told me that usbdrvce doesn't support hubs. So option B is a little more tricky. Again if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
One thing to note about controllers is that every time you add a step (particularly, any step that has a direct monetary cost like purchasing extra hardware does), you limit your audience to a very small number of people who are willing to spend their hard-earned (or otherwise) cash on a calculator game.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours