If you installed the toolchain with admin privileges (if the cedev path variable is already defined in your registry), then you should just be able to run the command convimg.exe directly in the terminal (make sure you navigate to your directory).

Otherwise, just put convimg.exe in the same directory as convimg.yaml and just double-click convimg.exe to run it.
well, I don't have admin privileges, so i guess that I can't do that yet. is there a way to bypass admin when installing CEdev?
You don't need admin priviledges to install the toolchain. Will people stop saying that.

The issue is you a) aren't in the right folder, and b) aren't converting the file that you think you are converting. Make sure you have the latest release here as well, and aren't using an outdated thing. You can run convimg --version to check the version. https://github.com/mateoconlechuga/convimg/releases/latest
MateoConLechuga wrote:
You don't need admin priviledges to install the toolchain. Will people stop saying that.

Ehm, at the risk of tangenting, I never said you needed admin privileges to install the toolchain. Evil or Very Mad
MateoC, what folder should I be in? because I tried it from the home directory and 2 others, each time changing the terminal directory to the one in which i had my YAML, png, and ConvImg. I also thought that if you ran "convimg -i " + the YAML, that it would read that YAML and ConvImg said that it was reading from the YAML I wanted it to read from (/Users/childrennointernet/Convimg/convimg.yaml)

Code:

childrennointernet@MacBook-Air Convimg % /Users/childrennointernet/Convimg/convimg -i /Users/childrennointernet/Convimg/convimg.yaml
[info] Reading file '/Users/childrennointernet/Convimg/convimg.yaml'
[error] Problem description: mapping values are not allowed in this context
[error] Problem is probably around line 2.
childrennointernet@MacBook-Air Convimg %

also, why does a directory problem cause a mapping value error?
If you search "Mapping values are not allowed in this context" on google (like you should Evil or Very Mad ), the very first result is this. Make sure the indentations of the keys in the map are exactly the same.

Try replacing your .yaml with the following code (which has correct indentation) and see if that works. (Also note that you should copy-paste the code instead of manually typing it out to avoid potential errors in indenting)

MateoConLechuga wrote:
b) aren't converting the file that you think you are converting.

What does (b) mean? The file type is incorrectly formatted?
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT FINALLY WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had 1 space wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are very welcome. Very Happy

Also, for future reference, you should probably at least look through the first search result of your problem on google before asking it here. Razz
Yesterday I had already looked at the website you gave me the link to, but I couldn't find what spaces were wrong with my YAML, if any. But thank you very very much for giving me the correct code!!!!
Thanks to helpful posts on this topic, I have been using ConvImg successfully for a while. So, I decided to make my own palette with a lot of 1*1 PNG's, and I followed the documentation here https://github.com/mateoconlechuga/convimg/blob/master/README.md but when I put it in my Yaml, the terminal said "[error] Unknown convert option: fixed-entries
[error] Problem is probably around line 8

Code:

palettes:
  - name: palette

converts:
  - name: myimages
    palette: palette
    fixed-entries:
      - image: car1blue.png
      - image: car1red.png
      - image: car1yellow.png
      - image: car2black.png
      - image: car2green.png
      - image: car2purple.png
      - image: car2yellow.png
      - image: car3black.png
      - image: car3blue.png
      - image: car3orange.png
      - image: car3purple.png
      - image: car3white.png

- frog.png
      - car1.png
      - car2.png
      - car3.png

outputs:
  - type: ice
    include-file: ice.txt
    converts:
      - myimages
    palettes:
      - palette

and I don't think its a problem with the spacing (this time), because I deleted the fixed-entries: part and it worked, except that maybe the fixed entries part needs different syntax (although I copied the documentation)
P.S. I do have the .png files in the same directory as the YAML, they do have the correct names, they are 1 pixel by 1 pixel, and I do have the terminal at my current directory, and I do have the latest version of Convimg (as of 5 days ago).
Because you didn't read the documentation. What does the documentation for "fixed-entries" say it does.

Why the hell are you making 1x1 pixels?
Fixed entries are for the palette, not for the converts.
I was using them to create a palette and add fixed entries. all the car1red, car2blue, etc... were 1 by 1 solid color png's that I hoped to convert into entries for my palette.
By the way, I have never used Transparent Sprites before, but I assume that there are one or more colors that are treated as invisible. Would you set that color as the background of a sprite, or would you somehow make an invisible sprite that fits over a non-transparent sprite and shows part of the background behind it?
You make the background the color you want to be invisible. Just add this to the palettes section of your yaml:
Code:
palettes:
  - name: mypalette
    fixed-entries:
      - color: {index: 0, r: 255, g: 0, b: 128}   #transparent color (hot pink)

The RGB color {255, 0, 128} that looks pretty gross is saved as index zero, which is the default transparent color (and I would leave it like that for ease of use). You can use any color you want, just make sure that you use it as the background and that you draw the sprite with gfx_TransparentSprite(). Use gfx_TransparentSprite_NoClip() if it doesn't go off the screen a little bit, it's more effecient.
Thank you! I was wondering how that worked!
King Dub Dub wrote:
You make the background the color you want to be invisible. Just add this to the palettes section of your yaml:
Code:
palettes:
  - name: mypalette
    fixed-entries:
      - color: {index: 0, r: 255, g: 0, b: 128}   #transparent color (hot pink)

The RGB color {255, 0, 128} that looks pretty gross is saved as index zero, which is the default transparent color (and I would leave it like that for ease of use). You can use any color you want, just make sure that you use it as the background and that you draw the sprite with gfx_TransparentSprite(). Use gfx_TransparentSprite_NoClip() if it doesn't go off the screen a little bit, it's more effecient.

Obviously the best transparent color is rgb32(69, 69, 69).

randomguy wrote:
I was using them to create a palette and add fixed entries. all the car1red, car2blue, etc... were 1 by 1 solid color png's that I hoped to convert into entries for my palette.

Convimg automatically chooses the most optimal colors for your palette, so you don't need to create a 1x1 px sprite (is that even considered a sprite?). ICE.txt should already contain the palette information which you can then copy-paste into the "data" parameter of SetPalette().
I think that I have a really obvious mistake that is too obvious for me to catch, so I will just describe exactly what I have done so far:
-I put CEdev in my home directory: /Users/childrennointernet
-I created a text file named .bash_profile and put it in my home directory: /Users/childrennointernet
-I put exactly this in my text file:
Code:

export CEDEV=/Users/childrennointernet/CEdev
export PATH="$CEDEV/bin:$PATH"

-I navigated to the examples folder in CEdev: /Users/childrennointernet/CEdev/examples
-I changed the terminal directory to: childrennointernet@MacBook-Air hello_world %
-I typed in the terminal:

Code:
 childrennointernet@MacBook-Air hello_world % make /Users/childrennointernet/CEdev/examples/hello_world/makefile

-the terminal said this:

Code:

makefile:17: *** CEDEV environment path variable is not set.  Stop.
childrennointernet@MacBook-Air hello_world %

------------------------------------list of my directories-----------------------------------------
-where CEdev is: /Users/childrennointernet
-where the examples folder in CEdev is: /Users/childrennointernet/CEdev/examples
-where the hello_world folder is: /Users/childrennointernet/CEdev/examples/hello_world
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
is what I put in my text variable correct, because the only problem I have is the environment path variable?
1) If you are on macOS 10.15 or later, use .zshrc instead of .bash_profile.

2) restart your terminal after editing that file.
did that, but it still says:

Code:

childrennointernet@MacBook-Air ~ % cd /Users/childrennointernet/CEdev/examples/hello_world
childrennointernet@MacBook-Air hello_world % make /Users/childrennointernet/CEdev/examples/hello_world/makefile
makefile:17: *** CEDEV environment path variable is not set.  Stop.
childrennointernet@MacBook-Air hello_world %

I think that the error might be in the variable's contents. Is this the correct code to have in the variable?

Code:
export CEDEV=/Users/childrennointernet/CEdev
export PATH="$CEDEV/bin:$PATH"

Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours